PDA

View Full Version : Your personal opinion/experience with Alpine iDA-x001 or similar HU

adrian1185
09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Just want to know if any of you guys have any input/opinions/thoughts about the Alpine iDA-x001 headunit (or similar). Im having one installed tomorrow and ive never used anything quite like it, considering it does not play CDs. Just want to know of good or bad things on the HU. Ive watched reviews online but I want the views and opinions of an actual customer instead of some show host, etc. Just let me know something my good people.
Oh and just to let you guys know, I am posting from my phone and the search function will not work for some odd reason. It keeps telling me to wait 5 seconds between searches. It never pops up with a result and I only searched twice. It was weird :crap: so I didnt want you guys to think I didnt try. Thanks fellas!!!

TDH Rogers
09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
i had one of them.... and sold it after about a month... it just wasnt for me...
put it this way, if you love your ipod then you might like it...

what i didnt like about it was that it does not have any equalizers or lp/hp filters or anything like that... so you will need to put bassblockers or crossovers on your regular speakers unless you are running them off of an amp and can adjust the hp.. and it started clipping the signal at around 65% volume
other than that... id rather have a cd.... plus its worthless if your doing bass race...

adrian1185
09-02-2009, 11:26 AM
i had one of them.... and sold it after about a month... it just wasnt for me...
put it this way, if you love your ipod then you might like it...

what i didnt like about it was that it does not have any equalizers or lp/hp filters or anything like that... so you will need to put bassblockers or crossovers on your regular speakers unless you are running them off of an amp and can adjust the hp.. and it started clipping the signal at around 65% volume
other than that... id rather have a cd.... plus its worthless if your doing bass race...

o wow. well i dont compete or anything. just for my daily pleasure. and i dont know if this means anything or not but i havent purchased any aftermarket 6x9s. i only have an aftermarket sub and amp for lows. the car has an 11 speaker Monsoon system in it already. until i get highs and such, how will this affect my audio? will i likey? i am coming from a stock headunit. I will be doing a full system upgrade in about 2 months though. (highs, amp for high, lows, amp for lows, components, etc.) Im goin for a pioneer avic as well. the alpine is temp

filmoreast
09-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I have an iDA-x305 and it works very well for me. The lack of CD support has not been an issue, due to the support of flash drives. I have an iPhone but haven't tried it yet with the unit, I've been happy with the USB support. The sound quality is okay, but needs to be turned up pretty high to get decent levels.. although, I only have stock speakers.

adrian1185
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I have an iDA-x305 and it works very well for me. The lack of CD support has not been an issue, due to the support of flash drives. I have an iPhone but haven't tried it yet with the unit, I've been happy with the USB support. The sound quality is okay, but needs to be turned up pretty high to get decent levels.. although, I only have stock speakers.

thats the reason i chose the headunit. i dont like keeping up with cds even tho i know there will be some type of degradation in SQ im fine with that. just never heard any music on one. i have an Ipod sittin in my closet somewhere and i thought this would be a great way to have a good bit of my music with me. I have 60 gigs of music but only 30 gigs can go on my ipod. Im wondering if i can use my 160 Gig external HDD on the HU? would it recognize such a massive size?

nineball
09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
i had an x001 and an x100 w/ imprint and both sounded like crap. terrible sq even with lossless files. i got rid of them both quickly.

adrian1185
09-02-2009, 04:34 PM
i had an x001 and an x100 w/ imprint and both sounded like crap. terrible sq even with lossless files. i got rid of them both quickly.

ouch. im startin to feel sad now. i already purchased it. just not installed yet. Maybe i should call the guy and see what else they have???!!!???!!!

carter1010
09-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I agree with everything that has been said. Terrible sound quaility, MP3 only is not the way to go if your doing a serious car stereo at all. To much BS to get it to sound right. I have had the unit about two months and am looking for a different deck as soon as I have the funds.

adrian1185
09-03-2009, 01:08 AM
I agree with everything that has been said. Terrible sound quaility, MP3 only is not the way to go if your doing a serious car stereo at all. To much BS to get it to sound right. I have had the unit about two months and am looking for a different deck as soon as I have the funds.

now i feel like i made a bad choice. i only got it because i thought alpnine made pretty good HU's. its being installed tomorrow so i guess if im not feeling it on my way home it will be on here for sale. lol. or ebay. thanks for all the input tho fellas.

adrian1185
09-03-2009, 01:09 AM

it cant be THAT horrible right?.....................right? :crap:lol

carter1010
09-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Its not that the head unit is bad, its just that unless you know what you are doing and rip your own MP3's or are willing to buy MP3's that are ripped properly, there is a ton of variation in the source material. This can make the unit sound wrong. Add a CD Changer if you want and I am sure it would be a great deck. Just be real careful about the MP3's you load. Try to make sure that they are at least 256 @ 44k and also that the volume of the MP3 (the song, not the player) is adjusted so it is not clipping once the MP3 is decoded. The other thing to consider is that as far as I can tell, without actually looking at the file in a program that analyzes certain MP3 data, you can't tell if a 96 bitrate MP3 has been ripped again to look like a 256 or even 320 bit file. This makes identifying quality MP3's difficult as well. These are the reasons that I have decided that a store bought CD is the way to go or at least discs ripped using Flac or another loseless format.

nineball
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Its not that the head unit is bad, its just that unless you know what you are doing and rip your own MP3's or are willing to buy MP3's that are ripped properly, there is a ton of variation in the source material. .... These are the reasons that I have decided that a store bought CD is the way to go or at least discs ripped using Flac or another loseless format.

all of my files are encoded as lossless and they still sounded like crap on the ida line by way of a usb stick and my iphone.

adrian1185
09-03-2009, 11:36 PM
all of my files are encoded as lossless and they still sounded like crap on the ida line by way of a usb stick and my iphone.

i went and had it installed today. you can tell the diff in the files but there were some that really shined. The HU is actually an okay unit. im satisfied for now but i know there is better. this unit is really just a temporary unit to use until i am ready to purchase a double din unit