PDA

View Full Version : Would sub down firing in a trunk work???

Goindef154
09-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I tried searching for a bit and couldn't really find anything on this. I'm doing a build in my cousins Lexus IS F this weekend and was leaning towards doing the sub down firing with the port towards the trunk. He puts a lot of stuff in there and obviously doesn't want to hit the sub accidentally if it was facing toward the trunk lid.

My question: Would down firing a sub in a trunk and port facing trunk lid be a disadvantage?

Goindef154
09-01-2009, 10:18 PM
ttt

basscort2009
09-01-2009, 10:23 PM
face it up and put a metal grill on there. but if it cant then give urself at least like 2 inches for the sub to move. wont be as loud but should work

Goindef154
09-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Ok cool, thanks. I'll take a look at it tonight when I look at the dimensions. He's not too cncerned about it being loud really but just wants it to get a little low and hit harder than the factory sub.

Goindef154
09-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I was gonna give the sub about 2-3 inches, I'm pretty sure it willsound good, just never heard of people doing a down fired sub in a trunk.

GetLikeMe
09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Put one of these grill on it they look nice kinda like the w7's
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-443

edit: theres ones that dont have the end pieces and just the metal bars that go across just cant seem to find em...

JimJ
09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Personally, I'd either look into IB off the deck lid, or a corner-firing design with a bar grill.

kentb
09-01-2009, 10:33 PM
definitely look at an IB setup. i heard some and they sound very good! its used mostly for SQ applications

Goindef154
09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Personally, I'd either look into IB off the deck lid, or a corner-firing design with a bar grill.

definitely look at an IB setup. i heard some and they sound very good! its used mostly for SQ applications

Would an IB involve cutting into the rear deck lid? I'm not familiar with those designs, heard of them, just never looked into them.

Goindef154
09-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Put one of these grill on it they look nice kinda like the w7's
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-443

edit: theres ones that dont have the end pieces and just the metal bars that go across just cant seem to find em...

I could try that, it all depends on what he wants really.

Goindef154
09-01-2009, 11:57 PM
ttt

bassman_soundki
09-02-2009, 02:00 AM
down-firing can work, but keep in mind some parameters shift slightly, like fs from increased pressure on cone. give several inches for sub to move ans still not be really close to floor. I would also do a mdf floor in the trunk or something to give a solid foundation for the bass since it will see it as its 1st reflective surface. I have tried up firing toward lid a few times and it always rattled too much even with dampening. Lots of ppl do it and are happy though....

Goindef154
09-02-2009, 02:06 AM
down-firing can work, but keep in mind some parameters shift slightly, like fs from increased pressure on cone. give several inches for sub to move ans still not be really close to floor. I would also do a mdf floor in the trunk or something to give a solid foundation for the bass since it will see it as its 1st reflective surface. I have tried up firing toward lid a few times and it always rattled too much even with dampening. Lots of ppl do it and are happy though....

Thanks for the input man, I think 3 inches will be safe, may end up changing it to 4, I'm only going to be giving it about 200 watts rms so it should move to crazily but mine in my truck do with 250 :). That's a good idea about the mdf floor too, might have to look into that. I think if any other option it would be firing back into the trunk lid with port facing the same direction. I may have to build a couple boxes before we get it to sound right. I'm not looking at making this a big build just something simple, maybe if my cousin wants to go further with it we can figure something out, he used to be a bass junkie but hasn't been in years I have a feeling this could be the snow ball effect :D

Joebobclark
09-02-2009, 07:21 AM
I never had ported down firing in a trunk, but I had a sealed 15" down firing in my Civic a few years ago. Sounded great! Actually helped to keep the "rattles" down, and definitely "felt" more bass in the cabin. Just make sure you have a solid (mdf) false floor. The sub will use it as a loading wall...

mazdakid
09-02-2009, 07:26 AM
I had a ported 12 facing the spare tire well with a port firing back in my old trunk. Got pretty loud for just a 12, I thought.

t1990le
09-02-2009, 07:30 AM
If you wanna take a look at some pics, check out my box. Its down firing in the cab of my truck but at least it might give you some ideas and send a pm to mike465 he built the box im sure he would be more than happy to answer any questions about how he built the box ect. Hope this helps :)

Link to build:
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376882

Goindef154
09-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks man, I'm taking a look right now :D

Goindef154
09-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I never had ported down firing in a trunk, but I had a sealed 15" down firing in my Civic a few years ago. Sounded great! Actually helped to keep the "rattles" down, and definitely "felt" more bass in the cabin. Just make sure you have a solid (mdf) false floor. The sub will use it as a loading wall...

I had a ported 12 facing the spare tire well with a port firing back in my old trunk. Got pretty loud for just a 12, I thought.

Thanks for the input guys, it's looking like I'm just gonna mess with this idea some more but I think the down firing will be fine and I'll definitely have a build log this weekend.