PDA

View Full Version : what do i need to make a box?

sylvr
11-08-2003, 10:11 PM
i know i need wood, screws, silicone, wood glue, and a terminal but what tools do i need? i keep hearing from everyone go build the box, its only $20-50 dollers, learning experience, so cheap so easy.

we dont all have the tools necessary to build boxes.

what tools do i need to build the box? so far i have a screwdriver... umm... yeah thats about it. im thinking of buying a rotozip; would that be enough to build boxes for subs?

screwdriver, rotozip, screws, silicone, wood glue, and a terminal = a sub box?

RangerMan
11-08-2003, 11:49 PM
I use:

3/4 MDF
Liquid Nail
2 inch Wood Screws
SkillSaw
Jigsaw
Fiberglass Resin
Compass

LoneRanger
11-09-2003, 06:36 AM
I use:

3/4 MDF
Liquid Nail
2 inch Wood Screws
SkillSaw
Jigsaw
Fiberglass Resin
Compass

well yeah...if you're not mass producing them :)

3/4 or 1" masonite mdf

Liquid Nails (red "for projects" kind)
1 5/8ths wood screws
Finger-eating 1950's tablesaw
Router
Magic Wang Dust
Cordless 14v Drill
Protracter, Compass, QuickSquare, Ruler, Tape Measure, Chalk Line

jbl_marshall21
11-09-2003, 03:33 PM
i had the wood cut at where i bought it. but i still had to make alot of adjustments so i used alot of tools.
if u get it cut by the store then for the bare necessities then ya need: jig saw, then screws and silicone or u can just use liquid nails.

sylvr
11-09-2003, 09:44 PM
ok, from the things listed this is what i dont have:

Finger-eating 1950's tablesaw, Router, Protracter, Compass, QuickSquare, Chalk Line, SkillSaw, and Jigsaw.

are all of these needed? what do each of them do and around how much do they cost? what do they do that a rotozip cant? i would really rather save money and build the box myself but if the initial cost of buying all the needed tools is too much i might have to go and have someone else build the box for me.

LoneRanger
11-11-2003, 08:03 PM
ok, from the things listed this is what i dont have:

Finger-eating 1950's tablesaw, Router, Protracter, Compass, QuickSquare, Chalk Line, SkillSaw, and Jigsaw.

are all of these needed? what do each of them do and around how much do they cost? what do they do that a rotozip cant? i would really rather save money and build the box myself but if the initial cost of buying all the needed tools is too much i might have to go and have someone else build the box for me.

I was just listing what I personally use to build a box. You can get away with less, of course, but remember the old saying "measure twice cut once".

Trixter
11-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Magic Wang Dust

Can this be picked up at Home Depot? I really need some. Do you sell? if so how much to do a 4.5cu' box??:)

LoneRanger
11-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Can this be picked up at Home Depot? I really need some. Do you sell? if so how much to do a 4.5cu' box??:)

MWD can only be purchased from an authorized dealer such as myself. A basic 4.5 foot ported enclosure is $125 + shipping w/o carpet. With carpet is $165. If you'd like it "wangpowder coated" i can do that for an extra $25 making it a nice even $190 + shipping.....wow, that's probably close to half of what you paid for the sub that's gonna live in this beasty box :)

MikeGray
11-13-2003, 10:13 PM
loneranger get online thanks

Trixter
11-14-2003, 08:58 AM
MWD can only be purchased from an authorized dealer such as myself. A basic 4.5 foot ported enclosure is $125 + shipping w/o carpet. With carpet is $165. If you'd like it "wangpowder coated" i can do that for an extra $25 making it a nice even $190 + shipping.....wow, that's probably close to half of what you paid for the sub that's gonna live in this beasty box :)

That's ok, I like my box that I have now and I'm really going to like the box that I have planned for next season...my Brahma will be happier. The price I got it for is a secret, but I can say that you box price, w/o shipping, is extremely more than half of what I got it for. ;)

skimo
01-20-2004, 12:05 AM
I'm sure that the box that started this thread was built long ago - but I thought I would throw in my two cents on the rotozip question.

I just finished a box made out of 3/4 inch MDF. I used a double thickness for the front face that the sub was mounted to (1-1/2 inch). I tried both a dremel (wasn't long enough) and a rotozip (long enough) - but both tools just smoked/melted/burned the MDF and didn't cut through it for cra*p. I ended up using a jigsaw.

I really wish one of the other tools would have worked, cause it would have been a perfect hole...oh well. I got pretty close with the jigsaw. My recommendation...steer clear of the rotary tools for box building.

PopcornPlaya
01-20-2004, 12:49 AM
or buy the right bit...

Cantaffrdspeaks
01-20-2004, 04:24 AM
i need some wang dust

Trixter
01-20-2004, 12:03 PM
i need some wang dust

PM LoneRanger, he might be seling it by the gram. ;)