PDA

View Full Version : Enclosure placement and Sound direction questions

2Gemini
08-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey everyone,

I am hoping for some insight. I am getting close to picking out my sub stage but have a few questions about enclosure size, placement, and firing direction of the subs. I have a 99 Mustang and know they are not the best for subs due to trunk space and other factors. However, before I decide on what subs I want to purchase, I need a few things cleared up for me. I appreciate your input.

When it comes to the enclosure, I would like to build my own. Since I listen mainly to classic rock and alternative I believe a sealed enclosure is the way to go. For enclosure placement, I know most of the time it is more beneficial to have the subs facing the trunk and pushed towards the rear as far as possible to maximize the acoustics...or so i have read. However, as many know, the back seats of the mustang fold down to expose the trunk. Would it be beneficial to remove the seat backs and have the subs pointing into the cabin (like a 1/2 wall if you will) or would it not sound as good?

As for enclosure size, I would like to have access to my spare tire and so, if needed, be able to slide the box into the cabin for easy access into the trunk. Is this something that is doable, or would it kill the sound due to the height restriction of the box?

Thank you all for the insight and advice.

spl_stratus00
08-29-2009, 06:34 PM
im a noob myself but a buddy of mine has a 99 stang and he has a single 12 typer on a 750.1 kicker amp and it sounds good and dont take alot of room

pbnj22
08-29-2009, 11:19 PM
lol i would like to know this as well haha

spl_stratus00
08-30-2009, 12:27 AM
what is budget and waht is nedded

2Gemini
08-30-2009, 10:55 AM
what is budget and waht is nedded

The sub stage will be part of a SQ system, but I would also like it to get pretty loud. From what I have researched, for an sq system, I would get the best results from building the enclosure aimed into the cabin. The enclosure would be attached to the framing behind the rear seat backs and sealed off from the trunk to avoid sound bouncing back from the trunk. This should get a "cleaner" sound, but will sacrifice some SQL. If the enclosure is built right, I should be able to have it made to spec and retain just enough room to access the spare tire since it will be a sealed enclosure.

Budget wise, I'm looking at around $600 for the sub(s) and amp. I have yet to decide if I want to run 1 sub or 2.

BeAlLsTaR13
08-30-2009, 10:58 AM
if you had it aimed into the cabin youd have to seal off the trunk from the cabin, but its sealed so dunno, i know ported would be good aimed into cabin sealed off from the trunk

mazdakid
08-30-2009, 11:45 AM
if you had it aimed into the cabin youd have to seal off the trunk from the cabin, but its sealed so dunno, i know ported would be good aimed into cabin sealed off from the trunk
You don't have to seal it off to fire forward into th cabin. A guy on here, I think his name is twisted something, has a mustang with a ported 12 facing forward and not sealed off that doesn't look too bad.

spl_stratus00
08-30-2009, 12:10 PM
you can get a kicker 750.1 and 2 12" kicker cvr dual2 for around 450 run at 2ohm seald firing into cabin

2Gemini
08-30-2009, 01:47 PM
you can get a kicker 750.1 and 2 12" kicker cvr dual2 for around 450 run at 2ohm seald firing into cabin

That sounds pretty good. How are those kicker subs compared to say RE?
I know a lot of people on the forum hate on kicker. Since i have no experience with them, why are they generally disliked here?

EDIT: also, would a ported enclosure sound better than a sealed one? The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to lean towards a ported enclosure. I'm looking for sq, but would like it to have a nice appearance as well, which is why I would like the speakers and amp to be viewable from inside the cabin. If done right, the look of subs and a mounted amp are pretty ****.

spl_stratus00
08-30-2009, 09:03 PM
i've never used re but my buddy has and he liked them he likes kicker also. i dont know why people dont like kicker ive run this set up before an i liked it it was a friends he let me use it when my stuff fried

07BronzeFuz
08-30-2009, 11:02 PM
everyone on here says face subs to the rear and back to the seats. Well I started out that way and it was pretty decent. I decided to face the speakers up and port firing toward the cabin with it pushed all the way to the back and its wayyyyyy later.

mazdakid
08-30-2009, 11:47 PM
wayyyy later what?

2Gemini
08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Last night I decided to turn my subs around, they were at the back of the trunk facing backwards towards the lid. They are now pointing into the cabin and are pushed up right behind the seats. I think It sounds much better this way in my vehicle. The clarity has improved and it also sounds like it gained some spl as well. My back seats fold down, so this probably has a bit to do with it, but there is very little difference in sound between having the seats up or down.

When I decide to build my enclosure, I will try make it ported and have both the speakers and port firing into the cabin. Seems like subs in my vehicle sound much better this way.

ThatChevyGuy
08-31-2009, 11:11 AM
if you do that seal off the box completely (around it)

twistedchild420
08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
You don't have to seal it off to fire forward into th cabin. A guy on here, I think his name is twisted something, has a mustang with a ported 12 facing forward and not sealed off that doesn't look too bad.

This is all true, but when i get my new box in it will take up most of the trunk, and i will possibly seal the trunk off with expanding foam, box will be 3.72 cubes before displacement.....i gotta say it sounds much better firing forward...as long as long as you got the windows down, otherwise way too much cabin pressure, to the OP this pic will give you an idea of my sh!tty looking but loud set-up,lol

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx76/twistedchild420/FILE0366.jpg

2Gemini
08-31-2009, 11:32 AM
This is all true, but when i get my new box in it will take up most of the trunk, and i will possibly seal the trunk off with expanding foam, box will be 3.72 cubes before displacement.....i gotta say it sounds much better firing forward...as long as long as you got the windows down, otherwise way too much cabin pressure, to the OP this pic will give you an idea of my sh!tty looking but loud set-up,lol

Yeah, I can definitely notice a difference in the sound between the windows being up and down. Thanks for the pic. I will try to post one of my current setup as well. I'm at work, but I'll take one using the camera on my phone over lunch.

twistedchild420
08-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Cool beans,i'm about to go to work myself!

2Gemini
08-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Here is my current sub location. Although it may look decent, I assure you it sounds like crap due to the cheap amp and speakers. They came with the car so I guess I cant complain too much. Cant wait till I get them replaced with a better substage.

The Subs are 2 12in Total Mobil Audio rated at 150w each
The amp is a Lightning Audio Bolt B4.250.2

The amp is run in parallel @ 4Ohm so each sub is only seeing roughly 85w a piece.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/sparta_weasel/caraudio/speakerscopy.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/sparta_weasel/caraudio/speakers2.jpg

Sorry for the quality....camera phone.

twistedchild420
08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Total ehh... clean look man, with my current sett-up i got to 144.5 sealed in the kick on the TL,peaked at 45, i know theres more db's in there,when my new box is done with aero's i'm gonna add more juice and shoot for 150....this is my daily though,wife might be picking me up a CRX soon! Can't wait to see your new set-up though,keep me updated!

2Gemini
08-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah I have decided the next enclosure will be ported. Havent decided on what subs and amp I'm going with yet. Thinking Kicker or RE for the subs, no idea on the amp. Front stage will be PGs 6.5s

twistedchild420
08-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah I have decided the next enclosure will be ported. Havent decided on what subs and amp I'm going with yet. Thinking Kicker or RE for the subs, no idea on the amp. Front stage will be PGs 6.5s

I personally think 1 RE SX(older model) will suit you well, but because of the size of box it will need you will have to take your back seats out,match that up with a sundown 1200D amp and your good to go!

2Gemini
08-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Well, I had to take the back seats and bracket out to get this box moved around so no biggie. Curious to know if running a single sub (a decent one) will be louder than these two POSs or should I stay with dual subs. Decisions, Decisions