PDA

View Full Version : I've looked and looked but cannot find. Please help!!!

hookedup
11-07-2003, 04:20 AM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
Hey people,
Ive been looking everywhere for the answer to my question. How in the world do you make the trunk side panels like the ones in the pictures. What i dont understand is how they like stay put and are perfectly even with the trunk molding around the top. I'm looking to do this to my car but i have no idea where to even start. I'm also wondering how to do this to the front of the trunk where the trunk latch is too. I think i can do the back alright. Please help me. thnx. You will be greatly appreciated.

LoneRanger
11-07-2003, 04:26 AM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
Hey people,
Ive been looking everywhere for the answer to my question. How in the world do you make the trunk side panels like the ones in the pictures. What i dont understand is how they like stay put and are perfectly even with the trunk molding around the top. I'm looking to do this to my car but i have no idea where to even start. I'm also wondering how to do this to the front of the trunk where the trunk latch is too. I think i can do the back alright. Please help me. thnx. You will be greatly appreciated.

let me see a pic of what you're trying to do and i'll give ya all the help i can

hookedup
11-07-2003, 04:34 AM
well the url for the pic is

http://www.katzcarradio.net/si_installation_process/trunk_work.jpg

morris85
11-07-2003, 05:19 AM
not at all as hard or complicated as it may look

build a half shoe box (heh) frame to mount the amp in, use putty to fill the cracks then sand it down and paint over it to give it that smooth look

make a face plate that will fit snug to the interior to mount to that shoe box with the appropriate depth cut for a sheet of plexiglass then run vinyl or what have you over the face plate for that blended to the interior look

whatever is chosen to be mounted there can be spaced out from the back a bit to give room for running wires directly out from under it to give it a clean look, or can be mounted straight to the back and the wires run straight out from the sides in a look at my pretty fat wire sorta scheme...

i'm sure using fiberglass for that custom snug fit would work better in certain ways, but my experience with glass is some what limited, and to sub enclosures

hookedup
11-07-2003, 02:36 PM
but what i dont understand is how the frame stays up around the top of the trunkl molding and how it fits snug around it. what you are saying is to build a frame and put it aound, but how do you get it to stay? Some pictures would be really helpful. thnx.

TPABlazer
11-07-2003, 04:12 PM
make the amp box and figure where youre gonna want it aligned.

then make supports for it on the top and bottom of wood, then attach the supports to the car, somewhere around where the amp would be sitting in the box. then make your front panel. I normally use cardboard to make a template of the area, trace to wood, cut and trim to fit, pull the amp box out, cover it, and then drill some holes for wires.

run the wires thru the holes, and slide the whole thing into palce, send some screws thrut he pre drilled holes to the support blocks of wood. slide in the amp and mount it.

hookedup
11-07-2003, 06:33 PM
any pictures?

TPABlazer
11-07-2003, 07:11 PM
lets see if this helps..its a nice mspaint attempt

http://www.eek3.net/upload/files/crapmspaint.jpg

morris85
11-07-2003, 11:15 PM
yep, what blazer said

you could brace it in there so many ways really, but it all depends on what you have to work with. best to just peel stuff back from the area and visualize things, make yourself some sort of brackets or supports to keep it in its area

if youre doing serious brackets to mount it into the trunk, double check what you could possibly be drilling into, sounds like a dumb thing to say but i've seen plenty of installers drill into wires gas tanks and the like..

as for pics i'll see if i can find some, if not i'll more than likely be doing that or something similar soon and i'll take pics

TPABlazer
11-08-2003, 02:59 AM
yeah, like morris said, make sure everyhting is safe.. drill to the side or somepalce safe...

hookedup
11-09-2003, 12:12 AM
i dont know if i still understand, what i really just need is some pictures. thnx for you help though, but i need some pictures if anyone can supply some.

TPABlazer
11-09-2003, 05:40 AM
****it

my pictured turned to a red x..

hookedup
11-09-2003, 07:10 PM
See i'm not talkin about how to put the amp and the box on the side of the trunk. I'm talkin about how to go about fiberglassing the whole thing. That's what i'm unsure of. I don't get how to get the fiberglass to stick up there around the trunk molding and how the fiberglass stays in place. Now let's see if that clears anything up.

morris85
11-09-2003, 07:43 PM
if you have questions about glassing, you should check this:

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36873

TPABlazer
11-09-2003, 07:52 PM
See i'm not talkin about how to put the amp and the box on the side of the trunk. I'm talkin about how to go about fiberglassing the whole thing. That's what i'm unsure of. I don't get how to get the fiberglass to stick up there around the trunk molding and how the fiberglass stays in place. Now let's see if that clears anything up.

that picture you linked sure doenst look fiberglassed.

BUT anyways... build a wood frame around the edges and glue the fleece to it, or if you want ot go to the weatherstipping, take the weather stripping off, and buy some new generic crap, lay the fleece ove the edge nad put the weatherstippingback on

be sure to tape off anyhtig you dont want ot be stuck

morris85
11-09-2003, 07:59 PM
that picture you linked sure doenst look fiberglassed.

what i was thinkin

they have what we were saying, wooden frame, plexi front, vinyl covering up the uglies

hookedup
11-09-2003, 11:21 PM
thank you all. i get it now