PDA

View Full Version : box builders what brand...

michaellane
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
what brand and model router do you use and do you like it? aloso what did you pay for it and what attachments should i buy if i plan to build a few boxes?

first box will be 10's with 6' aero port if that matters? and id like to get all sides rounded and smooth....

sorry ima noob

JimJ
08-24-2009, 11:52 AM
I like my Porter Cable...although I want to upgrade to a Festool in the future.

Just make sure you get something with a durable plunge base.

Twisted_0912
08-24-2009, 11:56 AM

festools are nice as hell. we have a bunch at school. i personally cheaped out on my router and bought the 99 dollar ryobi. its a pos

michaellane
08-24-2009, 12:01 PM
like what difference will it make cheap or not? i dont really use power tools too much...

JBLCAMRY
08-24-2009, 12:02 PM
This (http://www.toolcritic.com/products/ryobi/ryobi-re180pl.html) router

I like it, has lasted for a while now. Still going strong.

This (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=365-250) for a jig.

Great tool to have, but could have made it for less.

a 1/4" spiral upcut bit.
a 3/8" roundover bit.
a 3/4" roundover bit.
a 1" hight cut Flush trim bit.

Makes a great combo of bits to have

michaellane
08-24-2009, 12:21 PM
and what do i need to cut out the subwoiofer holes??? and what should i be prepared to spend at like home depot or where ever for everything i need?

Twisted_0912
08-24-2009, 12:26 PM
This (http://www.toolcritic.com/products/ryobi/ryobi-re180pl.html) router

I like it, has lasted for a while now. Still going strong.

This (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=365-250) for a jig.

Great tool to have, but could have made it for less.

a 1/4" spiral upcut bit.
a 3/8" roundover bit.
a 3/4" roundover bit.
a 1" hight cut Flush trim bit.

Makes a great combo of bits to have

thats the router i have. i dont like it :crap:

audioarsonal
08-24-2009, 12:26 PM

We just purchased a Festool Jig saw.Man that thing is sweet!Expensive as hell though!:crazy:

Plunge router is what you need.Our Porter cable seems to be pretty well suited for the job.

mlstrass
08-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I use a $90 SKIL from Home Depot and it works fine and I build 30+ boxes a year. Spend your $$$ on good bits and learn how to use the tool properly and it'll serve you well...

Pioneer~Saturn
08-24-2009, 12:28 PM
and what do i need to cut out the subwoiofer holes??? and what should i be prepared to spend at like home depot or where ever for everything i need?

A jasper circle jig would be the best imo, great tool to have. I think theyre close to 30 bucks..? been a while since I bought mine. I have a hitachi router with the plungee on it for the circle cutting and a porter cable for the roundover's etc (need to get another one and have both on router tables to get ish done faster and better)

michaellane
08-24-2009, 12:33 PM
also if i plan to round the edges do i need to add to my specs? like instead of 31' it would need to be 31' 1/4 inches?

michaellane
08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
okay so i can buy a plunge router and then i dont need the jasper jigs for circles? amd it can do the round overs as well?

Pioneer~Saturn
08-24-2009, 12:37 PM
okay so i can buy a plunge router and then i dont need the jasper jigs for circles? amd it can do the round overs as well?

No, you'll need the plunge router to cut the circles with the jasper jig. and yes, it can do roundovers once you set the height correctly. And roundovers wont really change the specs

fasfocus00
08-24-2009, 12:38 PM
I use a $90 SKIL from Home Depot and it works fine and I build 30+ boxes a year. Spend your $$$ on good bits and learn how to use the tool properly and it'll serve you well...

is this ever the truth

michaellane
08-24-2009, 12:43 PM
what size jasoer jig do i need for the 6' aero and my 10's??? the combo pack or what?

gsuchyta
08-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Pats express has japser jigs for cheap just make sure you get the one that allows you to cut big circles not the smaller one. You can make a router jig as well out of 1/4" mdf if you want to. Get good bits that will last you a while. I picked up 2 bits at a pawn shop for like $4. Get a roundover and flush trim bit and a regular bit