PDA

View Full Version : 6x9 enclosures sound like a cell phone

MadMax78
08-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi guys,

Some time ago, when I was quite oblivious about how car audio works I installed a set of 6x9 speakers. I own a 78 VW camper van. I installed these speakers in the back and they are powered of a 60W rms JBL amp. The speakers are installed in a overhead shelf. When camping I cram a lot of crap on that shelf so I wanted to protect the speakers from all that. I put small enclosures over the speakers to achieve that. Anyway, the speakers hardly produce any bass at all. At least nothing even close to the 16cm mids I got in the front doors.

The speakers are 4-way sony's. I know this isn't exactly high end but in comparison to the front speakers they really ****. So I kind of suspect it has something to do with the enclosures. Maybe they are just too small? Also they aren't really air tight.

Here's two pictures:
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/363789.jpg
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/363792.jpg

Please don't mind the funky colors, I re-used some old mdf I had lying around. I added the lower board (with the red trim) to make the shelf a bit stiffer. Since the shelf is only a couple mm's thick I was afraid it would resonate without it.

Anyway, maybe you can give me some pointers on what to try to improve bass? Maybe remove the enclosures at all? Or just make bigger ones? In that case, what kind of volume should I look for?

Thanks in advance for any help!

dappa5
08-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Remove The Boxes And Build A Bulkhead From Side To Side Will Improve Sound Tremendously

MadMax78
08-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Yea I figured that, but the shelf is quite usefull. I use the car for overland traveling and I can't offer up a lot of space. So closing up that entire area isn't an option. I could offer up a bit of space by making slightly larger enclosures. But I was just wondering if that would even solve the problem before attempting it.

dappa5
08-22-2009, 05:53 PM
prob not can you spare making a u-shaped bulkhead?
just to the out sides of the speakers ? so they are in 1 common (larger )chamber?

72 chevy van
08-22-2009, 05:59 PM
just don't use the boxes