PDA

View Full Version : HU Advice

bose301s
08-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I just got the Eclipse CD 8445 from MACS over on DIYMA and while it is a great unit the iPo control flat out *****, ou have to go 1 artist at a time nd it is extremely slow. I am cosidering using the iPod into the AUX input and controlling it as normal. I am not sure if the SQ would be less then. The output of the iPod isn't great into headphones with alow impedance, but the input impedance of the HU should be o the order of kohms so that shuldn't matter, plus the iPod does have very hgh quality Wolfson DACs in theoutput stage. This would be the best option but then I lose track and artist dislay on the HU.

My other thought is to sell the CD 8445 and get a Clarion DXZ 785 USB for $160 ortry to find a used CD 7100 or CD 7200. I want these because of the high ouput voltage. Any advice is appreciated.

ejschultz
08-20-2009, 10:08 PM
What kind of iPod has Wolfson DACs in it? Did I read that correctly?

bose301s
08-20-2009, 10:10 PM
What kind of iPod has Wolfson DACs in it? Did I read that correctly?

All 4th and 5th gen Classid iPods. http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/imod

bose301s
08-20-2009, 10:37 PM
So any thoughts or advice for the issue at hand?

SomeGuyDude
08-20-2009, 11:09 PM
FTR you can get that Clarion unit for $130 refurb'd on OnlineCarStereo, and I'm juuuust about 99% sold on it.

Also hear good things about the Excelon X693.

ejschultz
08-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Cool. I did not know that. Too bad it's not fully utilized until you get the iMod upgrade. Did you get the upgrade? It seems kinda useless because you cannot use any other dock connector other than the standard one with the 5th gen and the 4th gen loses it's headphone volume control availability. If you're only going to use it for a high end stereo, it would be worth it. If you're going to be using it in the car, at the gym, going on walks, during class, or anywhere else, you're probably better off without the mod, even though you'd never get the full effect of the DAC. If you have 2 iPods, then i guess it wouldn't hurt to mod one and use lossless audio files. Too bad I have a touch and no other working iPod. I may not have the high quality DAC, but I did type this post using it.

ejschultz
08-20-2009, 11:49 PM
If you like your HU, go on eBay and see if they have a connector that is a dock connector and gives you iPod control instead of HU control. You still get the dock quality and have full iPod speed. You'll lose the iPod display on the HU, but it's worth it for the increased speed. That's what I did and I wouldn't go back. And, the X693 is definitely a good unit for USB devices. You can control the iPod very quickly from the unit, or switch to handheld mode and control everything from the iPod.

bose301s
08-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Ok, my choices are as follows, the Eclpise CD8445 using the AUX input from my iPod, the Eclipse CD720 MKII with the iPod interface, the Kenwood Excelon KDC x693 and finaly the Clarion DXZ75USB. I want strong RCA outs because of using 1 input on my Zapco DSP6 and having the voltage split, I want the best SQ with iPod secondary but still considered. If the iPod control of the CD7200 is even decent, like my Pioneer where you pick which list to search, Artist, Album, Song or Playlist and scrol though those and it scrols quickly through them, that would be awesome. Anyway, as always all advice and help is truly appreciated.

Post reasoning!!!

ejschultz
08-21-2009, 09:00 AM
The best iPod head units are the ones with the full speed control. That's probably what your Pioneer has. I've only owned ones with external iPod adapters and they aren't that great. The X693 is pretty decent, but if you're looking to get great SQ, better can be had. I've got an X693 in my girlfriend's car. I really like the head unit, but I don't think it would really compare to any high end units. I believe it's got 4 volt outputs, 5 band graphic EQ, basic TA, and 2 way crossovers. It has probably the best iPod/USB interface I've used to date. The Premier 880 and 800 have an aux input on the bottom of the faceplate. If you're going to do the iMod, then maybe one of these wouldn't be a bad unit for you. They offer 5 volt preouts, 16 band graphic EQ (L/R), TA, 2 way and 3 way crossovers, auto EQ, auto TA, and so much more. In 3 way mode, you can control the crossovers seperately for each speaker and the phase of each speaker. The 16 band EQ is a dual left/right EQ. The 800 has a copper plated chassis to help with noise reduction. The only downside to these units is the pico fuse. You cannot "hot swap" amps with them as it will blow the pico fuse, giving you alternator whine. Basically, if you're not dumb with it, you won't blow the pico fuse. I love my 800. I replaced an Alpine 9855 with it and the sound quality on the 800 is far superior to the 9855.

bigaudiofanati2
08-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Using a aux input for your sound is okay you still have the chance of clipping your signal from the ipod to the head unit. My advice you want a nice integration with your ipod go with alpine.

bose301s
08-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Like I said, processing does not matter to me as I have the Zapco DSP6 for that, what does matter though is the quality of the signal that I am putting to the DSP6. I will not be doing the imod, just posted that as a reference for the Wolfson DACs in the iPod. Basically what I want is good, hi quality outputs to the DSP6, hi volt preferred like the 8445 I have now or the Clarion even. iPod control comes after that, if I can't have both good outs and good iPod control I will keep my 8445 and use the AUX in.

bose301s
08-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Using a aux input for your sound is okay you still have the chance of clipping your signal from the ipod to the head unit. My advice you want a nice integration with your ipod go with alpine.

I should put the iPod on the oscilloscopes in my lab and see at what point it clips and set the volum limiter there.

ejschultz
08-21-2009, 09:17 AM
If you're not doing the iMod, then go with some sort of dock connector for it. Otherwise, like bigaudiofanati2 said, you may risk clipping the output from the iPod.

bose301s
08-21-2009, 04:23 PM
If you're not doing the iMod, then go with some sort of dock connector for it. Otherwise, like bigaudiofanati2 said, you may risk clipping the output from the iPod.

I used to use he out on my iPod on my old Pioneer HU and it sounded no different than using it with the interface.

ejschultz
08-22-2009, 12:38 AM
I used to use he out on my iPod on my old Pioneer HU and it sounded no different than using it with the interface.

I definitely noticed a difference in both with my Alpine and Pioneer. The dock connector is cleaner.