PDA

View Full Version : need help from box building experts(technique)

BigSix
08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi everybody! Im new to this forum and been doing alot of reading and it looks like a great place to ask some real experts. I always been into car audio and always wanted to get into box building bet never could because i always lived in apartments but recently moved into a house. So I decided to start my new hobby and started with something simple(sealed box for two kicker cvrs). Well the box didnt turn out pretty But I finished it and it was quite a learning experience! Some of the sides were not straight. The tool I used to cut the wood was a circular saw, however I had a hard time cutting straight edges. My question to all you experts how do you cut the pieces so straight? Should I purchase a different cutting tool? Also I used the straight edges from the cuts thats home depot made as a starting point for each side, should I trust their edges? or start new ones with a big T-straight edge?? What are some good techniques for the wood cutting? Thanks for looking and please help out a noob!

BigSix

7ender
08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
If you want to do it right, you need a table saw.

However, most people on here don't have one and a circular saw works fine. Just get a straight edge from home depot (it's a tool, around 20$ and is designed specifically to help you make straight cuts).

BigSix
08-19-2009, 06:09 PM
thanks for the reply....about how much does a good table saw run for????
I bought a L-shaped straight edge but it wasn't long enough so maybe I need a longer one.....

dappa5
08-19-2009, 06:50 PM
a straight edge and two clamps is all you need but a table saw will run $100-$700 @ box store

BigSix
08-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Is there a certain kind or one with certain features to get????

Bullet03
08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi everybody! Im new to this forum and been doing alot of reading and it looks like a great place to ask some real experts. I always been into car audio and always wanted to get into box building bet never could because i always lived in apartments but recently moved into a house. So I decided to start my new hobby and started with something simple(sealed box for two kicker cvrs). Well the box didnt turn out pretty But I finished it and it was quite a learning experience! Some of the sides were not straight. The tool I used to cut the wood was a circular saw, however I had a hard time cutting straight edges. My question to all you experts how do you cut the pieces so straight? Should I purchase a different cutting tool? Also I used the straight edges from the cuts thats home depot made as a starting point for each side, should I trust their edges? or start new ones with a big T-straight edge?? What are some good techniques for the wood cutting? Thanks for looking and please help out a noob!

BigSix
just so u know, most of home depot and lowes ( i worked at HD and now im a manger at lowes) saws do not cut evenly. they usually are a 1/8th to a 1/4 inch off. so id make sure before u use there edges u measure from side to side across the panel before u decide its a straight cut. just a little FYI

dappa5
08-19-2009, 07:50 PM
no brand just a straight edge clamped dowm used as a saw guide http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/atlninja82/IMG_1786.jpgor just use a piece af mdfhttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/atlninja82/IMG_1789.jpg