PDA

View Full Version : Components: When does the need for more end?

BennyLava
08-18-2009, 03:30 PM
You know how you have like 20 different component sizes you can buy? How do you decide which combination is the right one for you? I mean obviously you are going to have highs, mids, and lows, but how many of which size... of each range? We can start by ruling out the lows. Everyone has a different preference on how much bass they want. I only want what will sound the best with my system. Sheer overwhelming volume of bass is just not for me. I want proportionate sound. But that still leaves us with the highs, and mids. There's even different sizes of tweeters that you can choose from. So for the best possible sound, would you have something like 3 sets of tweeters, and four sets of mids? Minus the subwoofers, that would make a total of 14 speakers just for the mids and highs. Maybe someone can explain all this to me better?

And if not, if all you really need is one set of tweets, and one set of component mids, then which sizes are the best to go with? How do you know which ones are the best ones to choose for your vehicle? Sorry for all the noob questions, just a new guy trying to learn something i guess.

hornedfrog1985
08-18-2009, 03:35 PM
never

mcsoul
08-18-2009, 03:39 PM
The three most important aspects of a front stage:

1) install
2) install
3) install

BennyLava
08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks. Anyone else?

kizz
08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Well, Im assuming you don't have a stock location for 4 sets of mids and 3 sets of tweeters, sooooooo, you could just start the way everyone else does. take out your stock speakers. choose a component set to buy and an amp, (1 component set) and install. just start off simple and take your time.

PaulD
08-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Mostly depends on whether you are going for quality or quantity (volume). For asound quality system, you only want one speaker per channel to play any given freq band - so on tweeter, one mid (and one midbass for 3 way systems). For volume, you will want multiple drivers and/or high efficiency drivers.

mvw2
08-20-2009, 11:22 AM
If you understood the science of audio, you would know your answer from the start.

Start looking into the basic concepts of sound and how car audio physically functions. Look into what audio really is and what we try to do to correctly reproduce it.

I'll give some hints.
-Audio is stereo. It consists of a single left and single right channel and a mix of the two to create everything in between. No additional source information exists.
-K.I.S.S. is a good mantra to live by. (Keep It Simple Stupid). A minimalist approach is generally the best approach.
-The most ideal setup is a single left channel point source and a single right channel point source. Ideally we'd want a driver capable of reproducing the entire frequency spectrum, i.e. the ultimate full range driver. It just doesn't exist, so we use multiple drivers to cover the entire frequency spectrum. We're forced to do so.
-What sounds better. You have two stereo systems. You place both systems in your living room. Play one system. Now play both systems at the same time. What's better?
-The goal of audio reproduction is to accurately reproduce the source information. This is not only just frequency response and output levels with minimal distortion, coloration, etc. but also the presentation, the stage space, sing and instrument location (width, depth, space) on the stage. You should get a sense of where the audio was recorded. Was it in a sound booth, some guys basement, an amphitheater? If the hardware is good enough AND it is installed and tuned correctly for the listener, this information will exist. If you mess up, then what should be there is jumbled, out of sync, overshadowed, etc. Understand the science.

BennyLava
08-22-2009, 06:57 PM
So basically, people only do lots of components when they are doing extremely high quality sound...

massiveaudiocw
08-22-2009, 07:46 PM
So basically, people only do lots of components when they are doing extremely high quality sound...No, people into sound quality usaly have a mid and tweeter or a midwoofer, midrange and tweeter. In SQ, less is better. You dont want more then one driver reproducing the same freq. People running mulitple componets usally are doing so to keep up with there low end, bass heads like myself.

Horsemanwill
08-22-2009, 09:03 PM
No, people into sound quality usaly have a mid and tweeter or a midwoofer, midrange and tweeter. In SQ, less is better. You dont want more then one driver reproducing the same freq. People running mulitple componets usally are doing so to keep up with there low end, bass heads like myself.

wat he said. it's a matter of vehicle, install, and how it all couples together.

galacticmonkey
08-23-2009, 07:58 PM
The ultimate in high fidelity sound reproduction is stuffing your dashboard, doors, center console, and rear deck full of pro audio mids, bullet tweets, and horns on a bunch of bridged 2 channel amplifiers.

:fyi: