PDA

View Full Version : Leaking radiator fluid when defrost is on.... help?

DB-Audio
08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
does anybody know what this part thats circled inred is i got a 98 ford explorer xlt v6 4.0 http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h36/CrazedEvilX/Picture011.jpg
the part at the corner of it leaks radiator fluid only when the defrost is on

grimreper912003
08-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Looks to be a vaccum controlled valve for the heater core.

DB-Audio
08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
ummm i'll go look it up it leaks right were it meats that hose to the left of it and the rubber is all bubbly like it over heated think that could be why my ac doesnt work?

plugitin
08-17-2009, 11:45 AM
i believe that is what controls how much coolant goes into the heater core...when you move the "hot/cold" mixer control, this is what it activates.

grimreper912003
08-17-2009, 11:47 AM
ummm i'll go look it up it leaks right were it meats that hose to the left of it and the rubber is all bubbly like it over heated think that could be why my ac doesnt work?

Its possible. I would expect it to be more of a weak AC system though. Have you tried getting your AC recharged?

Take it to a parts store. Find the smartest looking guy you can and ask him to come outside and look at it for you. He may know what its real name is and sell you a new one.

dman4486
08-17-2009, 11:48 AM

the only reason a heater control valve would make ac not work is if it was open all the time letting hot water into the core. to see if your ac works or not, you need to start the car, turn on the ac and watch the compressor to see if the clutch engages. if it does, then the only thing preventing refrigerant from getting to the interior would be a plugged orifice tube.

DB-Audio
08-17-2009, 11:48 AM
i already took it to auto zone and they said find the real name and then bring it back and we will see if we have it

plugitin
08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
i already took it to auto zone and they said find the real name and then bring it back and we will see if we have it

lmao, they are so helpful. Ill see if i can find the name of it for ya...

DB-Audio
08-17-2009, 11:50 AM
lmao, they are so helpful. Ill see if i can find the name of it for ya...

i know right thanks for looking though

grimreper912003
08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Slam them in the hood while repeating "NOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT ITS CALLED???"

Either you'll catch a charge or get some help.

jdawg
08-17-2009, 11:53 AM
see if thhere is a pn on it, should should start with a F

DB-Audio
08-17-2009, 11:53 AM
i'll go check in a sec

I Like Waffle
08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
The seal inside the heater vac. control valve is bad. Also could be why your a/c isnt working. Turn the truck on and a/c on and let it idle, see if the output of the air changes from colder to hot without turning the heat on, thatll tell you.

plugitin
08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
looks like it to me...do a physical side by side to make sure though when you get it
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Heater-Valve-Factory-Air_15490015-P_394_R|GRPCOOLAMS_888884589___

DB-Audio
08-17-2009, 11:55 AM
The seal inside the heater vac. control valve is bad. Also could be why your a/c isnt working. Turn the truck on and a/c on and let it idle, see if the output of the air changes from colder to hot without turning the heat on, thatll tell you.

there is no cold air at all never has been after about a month of owning the truck

I Like Waffle
08-17-2009, 11:56 AM
the only reason a heater control valve would make ac not work is if it was open all the time letting hot water into the core. to see if your ac works or not, you need to start the car, turn on the ac and watch the compressor to see if the clutch engages. if it does, then the only thing preventing refrigerant from getting to the interior would be a plugged orifice tube.

X2. If you cant tell what he means by seeing the clutch engage, just listen to the engine idle, if it drops a little, youre good :)

DB-Audio
08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
looks like it to me...do a physical side by side to make sure though when you get it
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Heater-Valve-Factory-Air_15490015-P_394_R|GRPCOOLAMS_888884589___

thank you very much for finding it that does look like it at least tthe bottum of it does but thanks i'll deffinitely try it out

plugitin
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
no problem man, if your truck has four ports (four heater hoses), it should be the one. GL

DB-Audio
08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
the way i see it is the reason the ac doesnt work is its either that part which i need to replace regardless or its cause there is not enough free on in the system

plugitin
08-17-2009, 10:36 PM
i would bet that it is low on freon...

IgnoreMe
08-18-2009, 01:03 AM

let me give you some advice on the a/c system with that truck (i have the same truck).

you see the accumulator (next to that vacuum operated heater control valve that youre asking about...not sure if ford calls them that, but thats what it does, lets coolant into the heater core when you turn the heater on)? pull that foam off the accumulator...ill bet money that that thing is rusted out under there...

your a/c doesnt work because your compressor cycles on and off continuously. your compressor cycles on and off because youre low on refrigerant. youre low on refrigerant because those ****ing accumulator rust out. new accumulator, new orifice tube, and a good evac and recharge will get you up and running.

and that had almost nothing to do with your original question.