PDA

View Full Version : Hertz Hsk 165 review

kizz
08-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Just got these and got a great deal on them. i installed them 3 days ago in my 97 stratus. doors are deadened and sealed the best i could. I am running them passive with a kicker zx350.4. amp is bridged putting out 175x2. I have the gain set to halfway and the hpf set at 75hz

My first impression was wow! Very clear and gobs of midbass. I have 60hz at plus 1 and 150hz at plus 1 as well. i turned down the midrange to minus 1 and the highs at plus 1. im still messing with the eq as i am getting used to a geq.

The midbass is tight, punchy, and doesn't sound muddy at all. the highs are crisp, especially cymbol crashes and guitar string picks. Vocals are the clearest ive ever heard. granted i haven't heard that many speakers but i can't imagine the vocals to be much more clear on anything else. you hear absolutely everything.

overall, a great speaker right off the bat. i imagine they will get even better as they break in a little

I will be posting pics tomorrow. camera died and im out of batteries.

bhsdriller
08-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I like mine as well :)

eharri3
08-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Mine are getting 60 watts per side, that will soon be 120 when I bridge this Eclipse amp. (long story, but basically it was in my other truck and when the dealership had a shop transfer everything over they didn't listen to instructions and used two of the channels for my rear coaxials.) It's hard to see why they're head and shoulders above alot of other speakers at first because the response is so flat that when installed properly no particular frequency jumps out at you above any of the rest. My old Eclipse SC 8362s made highs that hurt my ears and decent midrange but were lacking for bass and lower midbass. These things are nice and smooth, producing all frequencies in the right proportions with more than enough midbass to bring all my lower frequencies up front. All I had to do to get it perfect was 2 or 3 1 db boosts on my 16 band graphic between 80 and 120 hz and a few 1 db cuts between 8000 and 12000 hz.

GearGuy2001
08-15-2009, 11:28 PM
I got my ID CTX65CS from lyttle, was going to get the HSK's but they were a little out of my price range.

I would like to hear a set of the HSK's though

kizz
08-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Mine are getting 60 watts per side, that will soon be 120 when I bridge this Eclipse amp. (long story, but basically it was in my other truck and when the dealership had a shop transfer everything over they didn't listen to instructions and used two of the channels for my rear coaxials.) It's hard to see why they're head and shoulders above alot of other speakers at first because the response is so flat that when installed properly no particular frequency jumps out at you above any of the rest. My old Eclipse SC 8362s made highs that hurt my ears and decent midrange but were lacking for bass and lower midbass. These things are nice and smooth, producing all frequencies in the right proportions with more than enough midbass to bring all my lower frequencies up front. All I had to do to get it perfect was 2 or 3 1 db boosts on my 16 band graphic between 80 and 120 hz and a few 1 db cuts between 8000 and 12000 hz.

Thats all i did, just 1db boosts and 1db cuts. barely any adjustments at all.

kizz
08-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I got my ID CTX65CS from lyttle, was going to get the HSK's but they were a little out of my price range.

I would like to hear a set of the HSK's though

I haven't heard ID's altho ive heard good things about them. I have only had my hertz a short while but already love them. the midbass is great and the tweeters are so clear. I hear cymbals waaaaaaay better than i did with my jl aluminum tweeters. they aren't overly bright, just clear! Im able to hear bass guitars much clearer with these mids too compared to my JL's. those are the only other comps i have had to compare these too but they are far superior imo.

stereo_luver
08-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I like mine so much I'm about to step up to a set of Mille's. I might try some rear fill with the HSK's?????????

kizz
08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
why rear fill?

snaimpally
08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I like mine so much I'm about to step up to a set of Mille's. I might try some rear fill with the HSK's?????????

You don't want rear fill. Pulls the image away from the front.

t-money
08-17-2009, 10:54 AM
i don't have the hsk's but heard many good things about them, i run the mlk 165's off a audison lrx 2.500 (200x2) and i love them. I got them from Lyttleviet as well last year. I have them installed in the stock location in my explorer with the tweet flush in the door panel and i recently added a set of pioneer rev 6x8's for rear fill off my head unit and my system just sounds amazing now. i have a alpine 9835 so i can turn the internal amp on and off when i feel but when i use the rear fill it sounds amazing, i mostly hear the mlk's up front but the little bit that the pioneers add works great for my vehicle. Hertz makes some really nice sounding speakers. Do you have the new hsk's or the older ones? Great review as well

stereo_luver
08-17-2009, 11:26 AM
You don't want rear fill. Pulls the image away from the front.

This is my work truck and I have guys riding in the back. That would be the only reason for some rear fill.

kizz
08-17-2009, 01:09 PM
i don't have the hsk's but heard many good things about them, i run the mlk 165's off a audison lrx 2.500 (200x2) and i love them. I got them from Lyttleviet as well last year. I have them installed in the stock location in my explorer with the tweet flush in the door panel and i recently added a set of pioneer rev 6x8's for rear fill off my head unit and my system just sounds amazing now. i have a alpine 9835 so i can turn the internal amp on and off when i feel but when i use the rear fill it sounds amazing, i mostly hear the mlk's up front but the little bit that the pioneers add works great for my vehicle. Hertz makes some really nice sounding speakers. Do you have the new hsk's or the older ones? Great review as well

I have the new ones. i love how they look compared to the old ones. I was listening to franz ferdinand this morning and I was able to hear so much detail in everything. the bass guitar really stands out and the cymbols and synthesizer is amazing. I'll add more to the review after a couple more days as they break in.
I have the tweeters in the corners of the dash facing up at the windshield for the time being. might move them to the a-pillar after a week or two and see how they sound. how is the staging with the tweeters in the doors?

stereo_luver
08-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Get the tweets off the dash and you'll notice a new soundstage. The tweets didn't work worth a sh*t in my dash. Mine are in the doors above the midbass drivers and sound really good. I just found 2 a pillars the right color at the salvage yard so I'll be fabbing some mounts to try there.

kizz
08-19-2009, 01:59 PM
UPDATE

So i had a little bit of time today so i pulled the tweeters away from the dash and temporarily put them on the a-pillars. Soundstage is much much nicer. the tweeters are a little softer to the ear now and i noticed that clarity improved as well. i tried the tweeters on the sail panels but my dash got in the way on the drivers side and pulled the soundstage too far right. so, tweeters in a-pillars, seems to be a good spot as of now facing at the opposite headrest.

So, after a week my speakers are starting to break in a little more. not much change to the eq except for bringing 150hz back down to 0 and raise my highs back to 0 as well with them in the a-pillars. eq still pretty flat. the midrange in coming out more each day. guitars are more noticable, especially with heavy guitar riffs like in nickleback and 3 days grace. the mids hit the midbass hard which i love but it isn't sloppy. i can hear the picking of the bass guitar in franz ferdinand. couldn't hear that with my jl's, it was just muddled.

I turned the hpf back down a little to about 65hz and it handles it just fine with everything from sublime, 2pac, and the heavy kickdrum in reel big fish. if you need :-)speakers, go buy these. :-)

b8sah0l1c
08-20-2009, 07:16 PM
where can you get these speakers

kizz
08-20-2009, 09:04 PM
pm sent