PDA

View Full Version : Polyfill in ported box?

BDIDDY
11-03-2003, 07:26 PM
Just thought about this since I might not have enough room. I was wondering if you could use polyfill in a ported box to supplement for not having enough room. Also I know you can do up to 50% polyfill but how much cuft. does each pound or so give you?

Thanks for the help

i3abyjay25
11-03-2003, 07:27 PM
not a good idea.. it will throw your port off...

SPLThunder
11-03-2003, 08:32 PM
not a good idea.. it will throw your port off...

any other reasons because its not a good idea? I was thinking the same thing but i have removable ports. so that wouldnt mean much to me

Ricktc
11-03-2003, 08:43 PM
Ported boxes work on the movement of air rather quickly in the box, reflecting off the back of the box/woofer, so polyfill would only slow the air down, yielding in less output from the port, thus hindering your box more than helping it. A sealed box on the other hand, the output can be increased with some polyfill in the right situation. :thumbsup

BDIDDY
11-03-2003, 09:42 PM
So I am SOL then I guess.

awalbert88
11-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Ported boxes work on the movement of air rather quickly in the box, reflecting off the back of the box/woofer, so polyfill would only slow the air down, yielding in less output from the port, thus hindering your box more than helping it. A sealed box on the other hand, the output can be increased with some polyfill in the right situation. :thumbsup

My understanding is that the purpose of polyfill in a ported enclosure is to slow the soundwaves down, creating the illusion of a larger volume, which will help (or hurt) SPL performance based on the specifications of the driver(s) used. Someone with more expertise on this might be able to back me up (or school me if I'm really off).

havoc06
11-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Polyfill will decrease efficiency/ output but help A LITTLE on sq. It does not make the driver think it is in a bigger box, this is a myth. It helps attenuate higher freqs and extends low freqs, so thats why people think it "makes the box bigger" Basically for your set up..polyfill will not help you..you are SOL :peace: