PDA

View Full Version : Torn Surround Rainbow SLC 6.5"

Trepkos
08-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Took my 6.5"'s out to transfer them to another vehicle and found a small tear in the surround in one of them. I was wondering what I needed to do.

I know nothing of reconing speakers, I couldn't find any 6.5" surround kits, would super glue or rubber cement work?

Heres some pictures.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9805/ripaoz.jpg

ciaonzo
08-13-2009, 10:47 PM
I couldn't see a tear but a thin treatment of Plyabond should have you going in no time.

Trepkos
08-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Its actually a tear which seems to be from a puncture, Im honestly thinking of taking a small strip of electrical tape on both side.

SWFL
08-13-2009, 11:09 PM
silicone

Trepkos
08-14-2009, 01:12 AM
I need to get a silicone sealer?

misfit138
08-14-2009, 02:46 AM
That doesn't look to be a bad tear. I'd probably use some rubber cement on it. Try to use as little as possible...

PaulD
08-14-2009, 01:19 PM
rubber cement FTW ... and look around the area in front of where it's mounted to see if something caused it that may still be there.

its_bacon12
08-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Apply the rubber cement from underneath and keep as little from oozing through the tear as possible.

ciaonzo
08-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Like I said, Plyabond. It's industrial strength rubber cement. It will hold up under repeated excursion cycles and will withstand the heat and cold of being in your door.

Black tape. :furious:

Trepkos
08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
I actually took some silicone caulk to the top and underside of it.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8585/dscn3205u.jpg

After it dried I pressed on the cone a bit to make sure I was getting good movement from the surround and to make sure the crack wasn't redeveloping and so far everything seems to be working fine.

I think the whole may be from a slipped drill or something when I originally put the speakers in over a year ago.

I did really put excess caulk on there, it wasn't a straight tear, it was only straight across the surrounds but broke off in opposite direction at the ends, so I pretty much squared the area.

misfit138
08-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I hope that works out for you. It doesn't look very pretty, but it may be okay.

I would've taken ciaonzo's advice, but maybe the silicone will work fine. Time will tell...

bernser1er
08-14-2009, 11:19 PM
now the speaker is ugly you should of just put it under the surround

Trepkos
08-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Haha, no it isn't pretty. I played around my maxing the excursion out on the subwoofer with my hand to see how well it would hold up. The slope of the surround is still retained, the cracks are no longer apparent at all even when the surround is moving, "should" work just fine.

Trepkos
08-14-2009, 11:21 PM

I wouldn't say it mattered if the speaker is under a door panel anyway.

misfit138
08-14-2009, 11:23 PM
You weren't concerned about any type of chemical reaction from the silicone?

Those were some pretty nice speakers, and hopefully they still are...

6spdcoupe
08-14-2009, 11:24 PM

Ahhh yes, because we hear with our eyes. :rolleyes:

Trepkos
08-14-2009, 11:28 PM
You weren't concerned about any type of chemical reaction from the silicone?

Those were some pretty nice speakers, and hopefully they still are...

Well, there shouldn't be any unusual chemical reaction from the silicone. I just searched alot of similar topics between this forum and SSA and most people recommended silicone caulk for the job.

I don't understand what could go wrong as of now:

1) Movement hasn't been visibly restricted in the surround, the excursion and incursion of the surround seems to not be phased by the thin layer of silicone caulk.
2) The tear is no longer apparent nor is it affecting the sloped shape of the surround, the surround is perfectly slopped now.
3) Silicone isn't rigid, theres not alot on the surround to make the area rigid as well, just enough to seal the area of the tear.

misfit138
08-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Well, there shouldn't be any unusual chemical reaction from the silicone. I just searched alot of similar topics between this forum and SSA and most people recommended silicone caulk for the job.

I've always been told to avoid using silicone caulk around speakers. Something about the fumes being bad for the rubber and or foam surrounds. Maybe that's a bunch of bs. I really don't know for sure...

Trepkos
08-14-2009, 11:36 PM
That may be with a large amount of silicone caulk, the amount of caulk on the speaker is very little, the actual picture makes it seem to be more than it actually is.

I couldn't see a large amount of harmful fumes or chemicals affecting the surround. If you could find the sources stating this happening, I may try to remove the caulk and retry with clear fingernail polish if I find more convincing evidence that this could be a serious mishap.

misfit138
08-14-2009, 11:38 PM
That may be with a large amount of silicone caulk, the amount of caulk on the speaker is very little, the actual picture makes it seem to be more than it actually is.

I couldn't see a large amount of harmful fumes or chemicals affecting the surround. If you could find the sources stating this happening, I may try to remove the caulk and retry with clear fingernail polish if I find more convincing evidence that this could be a serious mishap.

It's just a word of mouth thing, man. I've never seen documented info on the subject to the best of my knowledge. There may be nothing to it at all...

Trepkos
08-14-2009, 11:47 PM
I'll keep you updated if there is, I probably buy another driver anyway and if anything acts up with that one, I'll replace it ASAP.