PDA

View Full Version : Battery sits on 13.x but won't start the car

Flipx99
08-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I have an optima yellow top that's probably 5 or 6 years old. My alternator went out the other day and ran the battery down. I replaced the alt and then tried charging the battery. I put it on a 10 hour trickle charge.

I put it in the car to start and got nothing. Pulled out the DMM and it's sitting on 13.x. I then try jumping my car off with my truck. It starts, runs, drive it around the corner and come back. Turn the car off and it won't start, yet battery still has plenty of volts.

I put that battery into my truck (the YT is dual posts) and it won't start the truck either (which eliminates bad cables in the car).

I don't have a battery I can try in the car because no one seems to have a side post battery.

Suggestions on things I can try? Or is the battery toast. If toast, why does it sit on 13.x volts?

davidfre21
08-13-2009, 08:12 PM
its the battery, same **** mine did. My YT lived to be around 8

ThatChevyGuy
08-13-2009, 08:14 PM
dead cell.

Flipx99
08-13-2009, 08:44 PM
No way to fix?

I dunno if I should buy another YT. They are expensive but they are good batts.

davidfre21
08-14-2009, 12:23 AM
only reason i didnt was because they didnt have one, i bought their house brand gel cel

But nope dead, seems like it lived a long life

KyleBechtold
08-14-2009, 12:24 AM
take it to autozone sounds like it can hold a load.. bad cell

alvitae
08-14-2009, 12:28 AM
I had two kinetiks go bad they both had "good" resting voltage. That is why I don't buy used batteys unless they get a load test.

ngsm13
08-14-2009, 12:39 AM
You might be able to condition it to hold a charge again. Like a few days on a decent charge...

Batteries may show a good voltage, but not test under load at all. It's good to load test batteries afterwards.

nG

k_schutte
08-14-2009, 03:57 PM
when I worked at Interstate Batteries I learned quickly that pretty much anything over 12.66 resting voltage had a bad cell. a Y.T. resting at 13+ is for sure junk.

TwoEggCustoms
08-14-2009, 11:49 PM
the reason that it has 13.x volts is because it is a surface charge a battery wont go over 12.6 volts max you should put ur dmm on the battery and watch it drop when u crank it if it goes below 10v during cranking its a bad battery and no there is no repairing a battery epecally a optima as they are sealed battery that are maintenance free cut ur losses and buy a new battery

bumpin buick
08-15-2009, 12:14 AM
when I worked at Interstate Batteries I learned quickly that pretty much anything over 12.66 resting voltage had a bad cell. a Y.T. resting at 13+ is for sure junk.

Sorry but this is complete BS right :laugh:

A battery does not have a bad cell simply because it rests at the voltage it is supposed to be resting at. For example when I train my batts I can get them to sit at 13.2-13.3, does that mean that my brand new batteries all have dead cells?

mazdakid
08-15-2009, 08:18 AM

A battery does not have a bad cell simply because it rests at the voltage it is supposed to be resting at. For example when I train my batts I can get them to sit at 13.2-13.3, does that mean that my brand new batteries all have dead cells?

Maybe thats why he used the word worked, as in the past. He doesnt know what hes talking about.

TwoEggCustoms
08-15-2009, 01:07 PM

yes that is complete bs a battery with a shorted cell will have less than 12.6 voltage seeing that one of the cells arnt contributing woulda more than likley have 10.5 volts with a bad cell

Flipx99
08-15-2009, 01:10 PM
I am going to take it to autozone here shortly.

I don't really want to drop $200 for a battery again though. :(

TwoEggCustoms
08-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I am going to take it to autozone here shortly.

I don't really want to drop $200 for a battery again though. :(

like i said man put ur dmm on the battery and try and crank it see where the voltage goes if u dont have a load tester thats another way of doing to