PDA

View Full Version : morels,rainbow,dls,focals??

troytag
08-13-2009, 02:06 PM
my knowledge is limited when it comes to speakers..sooo i need some advise.

im ready to spend some hard earned $$
im goint to install 2 ways 6.5 up front and back..with a sub in the trunk..

any good or bad about these speakers is app..or if you have some of these used?
focal k2p or krx2 700.00
morel dotech ovation 500.00
rainbow 265.25 germs 550.00
rainbow 265p vandium 750.00
dls noblium 750.00
dls iridium 350.00
dynaudio 240 mkll 600.00
dynaudio 220 mkll 500.00
dynaudio 242 esotec 675.00

most of these prices are off the net/ebay etc.

do the dls for 350.00 sound close to the morels?
is there that big of a difference between the speaker for 350.00 and the one for 750.00?
ive noticed the crossovers have many options too..some are bi-ampable
some have more tunning capabilities??
good or bad info will help me make a descision..

their all going to be ran by zapco
studio 500,z300,z600...so clean power is all good...
thanks

got-one-eight
08-13-2009, 02:34 PM
What kind of sound do you like (soft, Bright)? What kind of music do you listen to?

AllenH427
08-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Your knowledge is limited, yet you chose the best brands available. Good job!

troytag
08-13-2009, 03:00 PM
What kind of sound do you like (soft, Bright)? What kind of music do you listen to?

well im 47 yrs young:D;)
i listen to a lil of everything..not too much of a head banger..or newer rap stuff...i leave taht to my kids:D:D:D

al green,marvin gaye,some older r&b..

ltd,confunkshun,tower of power,isley bros..

beatles..doors...pink floyd...

2 pac,e-40 and some short when its time to get in where i fit in?:wow::wow:

thanks for your help!

troytag
08-13-2009, 03:04 PM
my knowledge is limited when it comes to speakers..sooo i need some advise.

im ready to spend some hard earned $$
im goint to install 2 ways 6.5 up front and back..with a sub in the trunk..

any good or bad about these speakers is app..or if you have some of these used?
focal k2p or krx2 700.00
morel dotech ovation 500.00
rainbow 265.25 germs 550.00
rainbow 265p vandium 750.00
dls noblium 750.00
dls iridium 350.00
dynaudio 240 mkll 600.00
dynaudio 220 mkll 500.00
dynaudio 242 esotec 675.00

most of these prices are off the net/ebay etc.

do the dls for 350.00 sound close to the morels?
is there that big of a difference between the speaker for 350.00 and the one for 750.00?
ive noticed the crossovers have many options too..some are bi-ampable
some have more tunning capabilities??
good or bad info will help me make a descision..

their all going to be ran by zapco
studio 500,z300,z600...so clean power is all good...
thanks

any leads on where i can meet or beat these prices??

or does anyone have this stuff good/used??

i got a **** load of older zapco stuff to trade..or cash$$$:cool::cool:

cbrei1023
08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
If you have limited knowledge, I wouldn't drop that much money, you wont be able to benefit from ultra high end stuff unless you know how.

troytag
08-13-2009, 03:41 PM
If you have limited knowledge, I wouldn't drop that much money, you wont be able to benefit from ultra high end stuff unless you know how.

app your answer..

good head unit..
descent amps..
and have some help with the speaker selection....
all thats left is the install...

im looking for credible ..local help on that now...(install)
its all going in a 60 impala ive been working on for 5 yrs...
finally got it road worthy...its BEAUTIFUL...:):)
bagged with 20s

your reply is well taken.and i too worry about spending all this $$$ and be unhappy with the results..
.but id hate to spend less and have to redo/install
i hate rework...
how could i go wrong with
eclipse 7200
zapco z600,z300,studio 500
and rainbow 265p vandiums front and back??
add in a descent sub and SHAMWOW!!!

dont get me wrong..im just a carpenter by trade..not a rich guy by any means.so my money is tight..
and i usually am not the guy with the answers...BUT when i hear a good answer i know it...
thats where these forums are priceless...
thanks again..;););)

troytag
08-13-2009, 03:44 PM
its very possible theres components that do the same for less...
thats why im here..

hornedfrog1985
08-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Look at Rainbow SLC. good bang for buck.

troytag
08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Look at Rainbow SLC. good bang for buck.

thats what im looking for...thanks you!!!

kevin lu
08-14-2009, 01:45 AM
for a 47 years old guy? go with Morel, you be happy.

troytag
08-14-2009, 07:06 PM

thanks kevin...i got my eye on some morels right now..
elates?

:)

NoRegrets
08-14-2009, 07:11 PM

What does this mean?

I'm 44 and looking for some good coaxials. I was wondering about both the Morel Tempo 6C and the Rainbow SL165.

How does the sound differ between them?

How much power do they need to get them to sing? Would 35RMS watts from an old Soundstream 5 channel amp work well with them or do they need mega power?

Can either of them sound good off of just the deck power (22rms mosfet from Pioneer).

Thanks for clarifying.

kevin lu
08-15-2009, 12:47 AM
troy, if you have the money to burn Morel Elates is awesome, if not than Morel Hybrid Ovation 6 is also good they're very soft to the ears, i have a pair of Polk Audio SR6500 comps right now but i will upgrade to Morel very soon.

kevin lu
08-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Regrets, if you like Morel or Rainbow try higher model not the entry level, i don't think they are good enough and they need a lot of power to sing like 90-120rms but depend on what model you are getting.

troytag
08-15-2009, 11:23 AM
troy, if you have the money to burn Morel Elates is awesome, if not than Morel Hybrid Ovation 6 is also good they're very soft to the ears, i have a pair of Polk Audio SR6500 comps right now but i will upgrade to Morel very soon.

money to burn? not me...i got 8 kids...an ex wife, and 2 turtles to take care of!:):(:D:D
i wish i could afford elates "new"...ive got my eye on used ones...but thats USED??..i guess used can be a good deal...if they perform right???
a lil bit of a risk...
your posts are great!
thank you for your help...im learning...:crap::wow:

96MaxGLE
08-15-2009, 12:01 PM
I've got some BNIB rainbow X-lines w/ 8" midbass that I'm trying to sell. I've always loved Rainbow products, but never got to try these out. Unfortunatly, I can't fit 8's in my new car w/o lots of modding.BTW... 6spdcoupe would be a great person to talk to about this.

cbrei1023
08-15-2009, 01:22 PM
app your answer..

good head unit..
descent amps..
and have some help with the speaker selection....
all thats left is the install...

im looking for credible ..local help on that now...(install)
its all going in a 60 impala ive been working on for 5 yrs...
finally got it road worthy...its BEAUTIFUL...:):)
bagged with 20s

your reply is well taken.and i too worry about spending all this $$$ and be unhappy with the results..
.but id hate to spend less and have to redo/install
i hate rework...
how could i go wrong with
eclipse 7200
zapco z600,z300,studio 500
and rainbow 265p vandiums front and back??
add in a descent sub and SHAMWOW!!!

dont get me wrong..im just a carpenter by trade..not a rich guy by any means.so my money is tight..
and i usually am not the guy with the answers...BUT when i hear a good answer i know it...
thats where these forums are priceless...
thanks again..;););)

Being a carpenter, you have alot of the skills you need. There is a decent amount of wood work that goes into an install. Baffels, box building, amp rack, etc... Ive always made my stuff out of MDF. Someone mentioned Rainbows SLC line. They are killer for the price and you wouldent be disapointed. I noticed you mentioned floyd though... Floyd has never sounded better in my car when I had some CDT ES-01 tweets and ES-6 midrange. The tweet screams, but isnt harsh. Gilmour's solos never sounded better, So clean, and the volume I could achieve and keep clarity was amazing.

FJF
08-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Wow, what a thread! Hey, I'll be 46 soon. Which speakers are right for me? I like cars, and I like to cook, as well as taking long moonlit walks on the beach. TIA.

okiedokie
08-16-2009, 01:05 AM
You guys need to go an audio shopto listen to what might sound good to your ears, Morel are really nice, but your install , deadening & aiming, are just important as the speakers you use.

Jumbo Jet
08-16-2009, 11:34 AM
I just bought some Rainbow Germaniums from Don (6speedcoupe) and the buying experience was absolute perfection. He's a super nice guy, very knowledgeable about Rainbows and the price was great.

I havent done too much experimenting with speakers, but I've had Boston Rally 620, Boston Pro 60's, Focal K2P's, JL C5's and an older set of Rockfords. The Rainbow Germaniums are by far the nicest set of components I've had. The mid bass is great and the highs are smooth as silk. A big complaint I had with the Boston's were the alloy tweeters and the very harsh, fatiguing highs. The Germs are very smooth and natural, every detail is heard and they feel like they can be played loud all day without listening fatigue. I'm giving them 90w each passive, but I'd like to try a bi-amp set up soon.

Get in touch with Don if you go Rainbow, he's great to work with.

okiedokie
08-16-2009, 10:35 PM
x2

troytag
08-16-2009, 11:01 PM
I just bought some Rainbow Germaniums from Don (6speedcoupe) and the buying experience was absolute perfection. He's a super nice guy, very knowledgeable about Rainbows and the price was great.

I havent done too much experimenting with speakers, but I've had Boston Rally 620, Boston Pro 60's, Focal K2P's, JL C5's and an older set of Rockfords. The Rainbow Germaniums are by far the nicest set of components I've had. The mid bass is great and the highs are smooth as silk. A big complaint I had with the Boston's were the alloy tweeters and the very harsh, fatiguing highs. The Germs are very smooth and natural, every detail is heard and they feel like they can be played loud all day without listening fatigue. I'm giving them 90w each passive, but I'd like to try a bi-amp set up soon.

wow..this is very good info...thank you...i am ok:wow: when it comes to some fab stuff...if i have something to look at or drwgs to copy i can make just about anything with wood/ steel...
i also do some fab with light steel...(i do demo derbys during the summer) so i have plasma cutter and wire feed down pretty good?...ive built consoles out of 16 ga. steel for calif dept of forestry before.(CDC employee):eek::eek::eek
back to the subject...
i think i can get a set of rainbow germs 6.5 for 550.00 ish??

can anyone beat that??
if so ill buy a set...
i know theres alot of work/knowledge to get all this stuff to mesh correctally..
sound deading,speker placement,proper wiring,grounding,batterys,alternator,speaker enclosures,etc,etc,etc,
..but im learning...i love this forum!!!
i have faith this can all be done with advise,differont peoples experiences,and alot of weeding thru whats good info and whats just b.s...thats the hard part...
ive got time...its taken me 5 yrs to get the impala on the road....whats a little more time to have a badd assss sound system???

thanks again for everyones posts...

okiedokie
08-16-2009, 11:40 PM
^^^Hey Since you want to spend $599.00 for a pair of comps??
Why not speand your money more wisely on some raw driver???
Like these
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_257&products_id=834
or
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8638
with these Vifa tweeters
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8657
or
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8646

you could go active or have madisound make you a passive xover set for cheap, It will save you money going tis route

snaimpally
08-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm a few years older than you! :)

I'd go with Dynaudio. The imaging is spectacular. Many recording studios use Dynaudio nearfield monitors for monitoring when mixing and for good reason. Superb products.

You should be able to find a used Dyn set for $400-500. One of my friends may be selling his lightly used Dyn set - send me a PM if you are interested and I'll see what I can do.

well im 47 yrs young:D;)
i listen to a lil of everything..not too much of a head banger..or newer rap stuff...i leave taht to my kids:D:D:D

al green,marvin gaye,some older r&b..

ltd,confunkshun,tower of power,isley bros..

beatles..doors...pink floyd...

2 pac,e-40 and some short when its time to get in where i fit in?:wow::wow:

thanks for your help!

troytag
08-17-2009, 01:28 AM
You guys need to go an audio shopto listen to what might sound good to your ears, Morel are really nice, but your install , deadening & aiming, are just important as the speakers you use.

yes i agree...ive been to a couple of shops..richmond ca...pinole...
its tought to find a shop who carries quality..especially down in vallejo area..
ill travel to look/listen but theres not too many places around....
ive been to 5-6 places and only 1 carried anything good..focals...
theres a guy in sanjose who does very nice installs but he has a 7 month waiting list?? and charges anywhere from 2-10k just for the installs!
ya hes good...
sooo i know the info is out there..i just need to ACCESS it..
and figure out how much $$$$ im willing to part with...
this **** aint cheap...but im sure if your serious about sq you allready know this:cool::cool::cool:
thanks again for your post...

96MaxGLE
08-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I bought the Rainbows I'm selling from Don, and they have never been installed. I can give you a pretty good deal on them...

They do have 8" midbasses tho...not sure if you can fit them

troytag
08-18-2009, 02:33 PM
I bought the Rainbows I'm selling from Don, and they have never been installed. I can give you a pretty good deal on them...

They do have 8" midbasses tho...not sure if you can fit them

i hooked up with don yesterday and bought a set of germaniums and a 12" rainbow sub...cant wait to hook it all up...he was VERY good to deal with and answered all my time consuming,stupid questions.....
seems to be a stand up guy with loads of honest answers...key word honest!

i was thinking about some 8s in the rear deck to get the base going...
the impala has a huge rear deck for speaker installs..

but im going to start with 6.5 front and rear with a lil base comming from the trunk...

thanks for your post...app it..

ougrad1
08-22-2009, 04:05 AM

Hey Jumbo Jet,

How do I get in touch with Don? I tried PM'ing but his username came up as unknown. I'm wanting to buy some Rainbow speakers and would like to talk to him about which one would fit my needs.

Thanks!