PDA

View Full Version : Alpine IDA Series Crossover (?)

liquidfluidity
08-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Probably a newb question but this will be my first HU with a crossover. Is the crossover active when using the internal amplifier or just when using external amplifiers?

ejschultz
08-12-2009, 10:15 PM
The IDA series can not go active. Read the active vs. Passive sticky in the speakers section to understand what active is.

liquidfluidity
08-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Ok , I pretty much knew that but does the fact that it has a choice of specific points to choose from , and not infinitely variable , make the crossover on a IDA-X200 passive?

ejschultz
08-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Ok , I pretty much knew that but does the fact that it has a choice of specific points to choose from , and not infinitely variable , make the crossover on a IDA-X200 passive?

Well, technically, any crossover on any HU is active. A pre amp crossover is considered active while a post amp crossover is considered passive. However, the term "active" is commonly used for a networked crossover system. This would be a crossover system that:
1. is a preamp crossover
2. let's you lowpass a sub, bandpass the mids, and highpass the tweeters
3. is usually a stand alone processor or built into a higher end HU
When you mentioned active, this is what I thought you were talking about.

nineball
08-12-2009, 11:35 PM
The IDA series can not go active. Read the active vs. Passive sticky in the speakers section to understand what active is.

the models that can use the imprint can be active. read the manual.

ejschultz
08-12-2009, 11:38 PM
the models that can use the imprint can be active. read the manual.

Ah yes, and if you did want to go "active" with it, you can use the Imprint kit which can be purchased seperately. Good call nineball. I forgot about that.

nineball
08-13-2009, 12:02 AM
keep in mind the sq from the ida line, even with the imprint, *****.

liquidfluidity
08-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok guys , back to my question - does the crossover in the HU actually function when using the internal amplifier(of the HU). Say I am just to hook speakers up to it , will the x-over work that way or will it only function with the pre-outs in use? Hope this makes sense. Thanks for replying and the info , guys;)

ejschultz
08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
The crossover will work with the internal amp or the pre outs.

nineball
08-13-2009, 04:10 PM
you are kind of asking 2 different things. you can use the hu sound controls (bass/treble only) with the internal amplifier or the pre-outs. if you want to run active, or use the imprint crossover network, you have to use the pre-outs.

liquidfluidity
08-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks nineball. That's exactly what I needed to know. :)