PDA

View Full Version : choosing crossover point for first active set up

ekk
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I want to ditch the passive crossovers in my front components, and run the woofer and tweeter actively.

When I emailed the speaker manufacturer, they sent me the the following info.

The 6.5" midbass can work up to 5 to 6kHz with no problem.
The 25mm tweeter has a lowest crossover point of 3.200 Hz with at least 12 dB/Octave slope.

Any suggestions on what to use as my crossover points and slopes? Thanks

RowJoe
08-12-2009, 10:14 PM
5000-6000 Hz is high for a 6.5".

What speakers are you using, what HU, and what kind of power do you have on tap? I'm not really sure if you'll gain a whole lot by going active.

req
08-12-2009, 10:18 PM
id say try 3500hz with 12db\octave. but truth be told thats most likely where your passive over is currently.

so id try that because in my experience its always best to put your crossover point as low as possible, but thats me.

what equipment exactly are you using for active crossover points?

ekk
08-12-2009, 10:25 PM
I have an alpine headunit, an alpine power pack, and the imprint processor.

Speakers are rainbow 3-way components. I wanted to try running just the midbass and tweeter, so that I fully utilize the time alignment capabilities of the imprint. As I understand it, though I'm not certain about this, crossover points between woofer and tweeter must be set manually. I think the other stuff is set automatically.

RAM_Designs
08-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Assuming you have an active HU, you probably have the ability to use a 24db slope...I'd go with ~3kz for your tweeter with the steepest slope you can. Then for the mid, cross at the same frequency with a steep slope as well. Using a 6.5" speaker is going to give you some beaming issues once you get above 2khz(if they're not aimed on axis).

Truth be told, there's a ton of things that can make certain points/slopes work better for you. Your best bet it to just try a lot of thyings and see what works well in your install.

James Bang
08-12-2009, 11:42 PM
which speakers?
what locations/aiming?
?
?
?

ekk
08-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Speakers are rainbow iq series.

The tweeter is in door near the dash. And the midbass is low and in the rear of the door--thigh level.