PDA

View Full Version : fried my lgp and seas tweeters

hotcress
08-12-2009, 02:49 PM
A few years ago I had to have the old school diamond audio hex comp set. Of course at this time they replaced them with a new deviant. So I built my own with the Eton 5-880 and lpg 26na and had madisound build a x-over to match. I have them hooked up to an old school amp that puts out about 150x2 into 4 ohms. Here's the situation the eton/lgp are 8 ohm. So they are getting half that. I blew the lgps and replaced them with the seas h1397. The mids play very strong and the tweets are/were great. They just dont like it my happy level. Keeping up with a underpowered 12" audiopulse axis.
Here is the question if I get another set of mids and tweeters can i run them off the same x-over to get my 4ohm load and double the cone area as plus? Or would it just mess everything up?

okiedokie
08-12-2009, 02:59 PM
since madisound built that xover for you, they may be able to help you out with that question

stuckinok
08-12-2009, 04:30 PM
No...

Changing the impedence changes the crossover points on a passive crossover. That crossover may be the reason your frying your drivers. It would be better to go fully active.

hotcress
08-12-2009, 11:57 PM
since madisound built that xover for you, they may be able to help you out with that question

I wonder if it would change the x-over freq up or down? Would like to know, it would help to keep things simple.

I have another matching amp rated at about 100x2. I would need to get an electronic x-over. Id really like to let the amps develope full power so I'd still double up on the drivers. Sound cool?