PDA

View Full Version : Help me select some speakers for my truck

scottwest
08-11-2009, 11:51 PM
The vehicle is a 2004 Tundra Access Cab 4x4. I listen to rock, rap, and a little smooth jazz.

I have a Kenwood DNX 6140, JL Audio Stealthbox (single 10" W3v3), Eclipse XA 1200(500x1), and an Eclipse EA 4200 (60x4 or 120x2)

The plan is 6.5" components in the front (factory location) and 6.5" coax's in back (factory location).
The fronts need to be under 2.5" deep, but there is plenty of room in back.

I would prefer a soft dome tweeter and spend $350-$400

A few I am thinking about are:
Front: Alpine SPR-17s, Polk db 6501, Boston SX 60
Rear: Alpine SPR-17c, Polk db 650s, Boston SX 65

Also, would it be ok to run the rears off deck power or should I run Eclipse EA 4200 in 4 channel mode?

Please advise!

Thanks in advance,
Scott

dumple
08-11-2009, 11:53 PM
i just got a set of mpyre 65ms for my rears and wow!!! cant wait to find a nice tweet to pair them with and loose my pg rsds

kevin lu
08-12-2009, 12:41 AM
if you like Boston comps than go with this http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=22002 a lot better than Boston SX.

scottwest
08-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks Kevin. I had a set of Boston Pro's back in the day. Loved em!

eharri3
08-12-2009, 02:06 AM
As hard as it is to believe you don't have to put something aftermarket in every single speaker opening that exists in order to get a proper system. Leave the rears stock and run them off the head unit, and attenuate them using the fader or whatever other controls are available on the head unit so they don't distort early and hurt your system's overall capabilities. Take the 50-100 dollars you'd have spent on rear speakers and add it to the budget for your front stage. In real life live sound comes from in front of you with subtle reverbrations from the rear. But the equipment in front of you will make or break a sound quality system.

I drive an 09 Crewmax and have Hertz HSK 165s. I also have an Eclipse EA4200. I had it bridged to the components at 120-130 watts in my 04 dakota Quad Cab. Due to a miscommunication when I had my equipment transferred over when I traded vehicles a day before leaving my home state for 6 months, the amp wasn't bridged to the fronts in the Tundra and I am stuck with 60 watts per side for now. I am missing something but it still sounds really good. But with 120 watts per side I felt like everything I heard in my Dakiota was happening in the truck right in front of me. Part of it is the power, part of it is the change in acoustics in the new truck which makes it seem like the extra power and a different install would make a bigger diffrence. Experiment carefully with tweeter location. They didn't work too badly for me in the sail panels of the Dakota but for some reason in this truck it feels like they'd work better in a different location, either in the windshield panels or high in the doors. The install is just as important as the brand and model, if not more.

With 5-600 bucks if you leave the rear coaxials stock you can go for the next level of HERTZ 2 ways which I hear makes much better midbass than the 165s and handles something like 180 watts rms. OR you could go with a few different brands that are still better than Polk or Boston or Alpine.

I ran my EA4200 for 2 years bridged to my components with great sound and zero problems and will be doing it again as soon as I'm either around a decent shop or have the time and energy to rip the seats and carpets up and switch a few things around.