PDA

View Full Version : New member doing a full

rnolloth88
08-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Hey all, im new to your forum.Im actually doing a stereo in my new boat.Im sure some advice will be different.Im looking to make my boat rock out.I have 4 infinity 6x9 kappas and a polk momo sub as well as a kicker 600x4 amp to start with.What would you all recomended to do with this system?I have a local guy wanting me to go with JBL 6.5 marine speakers for mids i want to go with the 6x9s.Im not sure how to judge which speakers are better than others.Ive always been a big fan of infinity mids and highs and JL subs.Please let me know what you guys think.Money is not an issue on this build i want something that sounds great.Thanks again Ryan.Please hook me uo with some good info!

7ender
08-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Is this a wakeboard boat/something with a tower?

mvw2
08-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Infinity is not great. They are simply very outdated hardware and Harmon Kardon just doesn't seem to want to renew the Infinity brand. They do small changes here and there, but their products are largely outdated at this time.

JBL is also a company of Harmon Kardon. :p

You may want to stick with marine speakers just so the hardware is designed to take the water without problems. The brand you end up with is sort of up to you. I will sort of point you towards Alpine simply because I think they do build good all around hardware, and they do have a Marine line of products available.

rnolloth88
08-11-2009, 11:26 PM
No its not a wakeboard boat.Ive good luck out of my infinity stuff in the past.Im not concerned with the marine end of it as where the speakers are located will not be an issue.Thanks for the quick replies.Ive never been a fan of alpine stuff have they gotten better in the last couple of years?Thanks again.Ryan.

7ender
08-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Well it depends what you want to do with your boat.

You don't need marine speakers for your boat. I have CDT's in my boat, used to have alpine Type R comps.

Look around here, there are plenty of recommendations for good 6.5's, all dependent on your budget.

However, if you have a tower, I HIGHLY recommend checking out NVS speakers. They are absolutely incredible- though they'll cost you a pretty penny. I have a pair on my tower, and I swear you can CLEARLY hear the music from over a mile away (when you can't even see the boat anymore). They use a 10" driver (yes, for the mid), and i'm giving my pair over 1000 watts.

mvw2
08-12-2009, 02:47 AM
No its not a wakeboard boat.Ive good luck out of my infinity stuff in the past.Im not concerned with the marine end of it as where the speakers are located will not be an issue.Thanks for the quick replies.Ive never been a fan of alpine stuff have they gotten better in the last couple of years?Thanks again.Ryan.

Better? There were never really bad. Alpine speakers typically have good tonality and relatively smooth frequency responses but are geared a little warm. Most of their product were never geared heavily for high output. I've always considered them as a really good all around package as long as you preferred your audio slightly on the warm side and with smoother tweeters.

If water won't be an issue, a LOT of options open up.

Is there a price point? Replacing the sub too? Specific enclosure for the sub?

lyttleviet
08-12-2009, 02:53 AM
Those would be some good questions to answer. As far as alpine being warm/smooth I'd have to disagree. Everytime I've heard them from the Type S to the Type X components and everything inbetween, they've always been too harsh for my taste.

mvw2
08-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Wow! You've got some sensitivity to highs.

The S through the F#1 all use hardware that really isn't harsh on the highs. Go listen to some Infinity Kappas and tell me ANY Alpine product new or old sound harsh. :laugh: Smooth and warm are good descriptions of Alpine's gearing on pretty much all their products. About the only company out there that goes further is Pioneer.

Now harshness isn't specifically a brightness issue. It depends how you use the context of the word. Harshness could also be a matter of an uneven frequency response (peaky) or of scratchiness or noise (distortion). It really depends how you use the word.

I'm curious what you're even willing to run. What do you currently have in your car? I'm really curious to see what someone runs if even Alpine offends them. :eek:

rnolloth88
08-12-2009, 09:35 AM
I dont have any problems with alpine speakers as ive never used them.I had alpine radio that i was not happy with and an older amp that i didnt like as the amp seemed to get very easy.I dont have a tower on my boat.With that being said what would you all do from there.I dont want to spend a stupid amount of money but i want it to be loud and clean sounding.Thanks again.