PDA

View Full Version : Bellmouth Port Flaring

shizzzon
08-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I just got done discussing with someone what i am doin with my wall in the car and have found a solution, a very cheap solution.

I need to have my wall flared on the inside and outside to try and achieve higher pressure levels.

My port area is 16.5" wide x 11.25" tall.

Look at the bottom pic to see what a Bellmouth port looks like- for my application -

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/port-flares/bellmouths.jpg

There is a guy around town that can make me ANY custom size, flare, etc for my wall so i told him to hold off for a couple weeks while i test other things before i venture in flare port testing.

I have some questions though so i can get him to make the proper size.

The outside flare can stick out of the box a MAXIMUM of 5" deep. Any deeper and i'll void my division i wish to compete in.

So, how wide and tall should the flare end up being?
Internal is 16.5" wide x 11.25" I will be using either 0.5" or 0.75" thick wood so it will make the area a little smaller when the port is slid into place.

Now, onto the questions-
How much of an increase inch-wise should the outer flare be compared to the inner area?
If the inner area was- 15" x 9.75"... should the outer flare size be 25" x 19.75" is that too much, too little, how should i know???

how DEEP should the flare be? should the entire flare process be 2,3,4,5" deep?? how do i know?

Should the outer flare have a flat base by the time it's done flaring or not?

Can i just install damplifier pro to the outside of this type of port to kill resonance of the material or what should i use to be the most effective for practical use?

Any other things i should know?

dappa5
08-08-2009, 02:53 PM
How much of an increase inch-wise should the outer flare be compared to the inner area?
If the inner area was- 15" x 9.75"... should the outer flare size be 25" x 19.75" is that too much, too little, how should i know???
you will want 3 to 5 in on each side so 6 to 10in total

how DEEP should the flare be? should the entire flare process be 2,3,4,5" deep?? how do i know?
as big as it needs to be (determined by flare size ) make templates to see how far each will be to make them flush

Should the outer flare have a flat base by the time it's done flaring or not?
simply yes if not flat securing it would be difficut

Can i just install damplifier pro to the outside of this type of port to kill resonance of the material or what should i use to be the most effective for practical use?
if you do use these after securing it fill the void under flare with expanding foam should shore up instell and dampen resonance

other things i should know?
if i were you i would make the flare out of wood then use filler to smooth
will get same effect w/o problems of securing and flushing that "METAL" bellmouth but make sure to take pics and let us all kno how it's going