PDA

View Full Version : opinions Pioneer

doctorcheeze200
08-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Im looking to start building a decent first system, and know nothing.
For a head unit, all i need it to do is play CD's and my ipod.
No bluetooth or XM radio and all that.
what are your opinions on the Pioneer DEH-2100IB?
Any other suggestions?

Rich B
08-07-2009, 10:20 PM
DONE With Pioneer

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424223

DB-Audio
08-07-2009, 10:21 PM
i've had 2 pioneer headunits in the past and the only thing i didnt like about them were the rca clicks when the amp turns on but you can easily ground that out

AllenH427
08-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I've had 2 pioneer decks, both were satisfying.

bigaudiofanati2
08-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Go with a alpine cde-102 or if you need 3 sets of outputs the alpine cda-105.
As my post said about in that link I have had so much trouble with them and so have my friends I am done with pioneer.

bread0710
08-07-2009, 10:28 PM
i have an 800PRS. i did blow the fuse, but other than that i love it. i like the looks and the features of it.

hornedfrog1985
08-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I have an 880 prs, and I got it for 250 shipped bnib. These are the things I know about pioneer.

The OEL display can crap out pretty often. My deck doesn't have this though.
The Pico fuse will blow if you swap rcas when the unit is on.
You get a lot for your money.

bigaudiofanati2
08-07-2009, 10:38 PM
I have an 880 prs, and I got it for 250 shipped bnib. These are the things I know about pioneer.

The OEL display can crap out pretty often. My deck doesn't have this though.
The Pico fuse will blow if you swap rcas when the unit is on.
You get crap for your money.

Fixed for you

ejschultz
08-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Fixed for you

I'd take a Pioneer over Alpine any day. Alpine hasn't impressed me since 2005. For the money, Pioneer offers a lot more than Alpine.

hondarider
08-08-2009, 02:13 AM
pioneer all the way the only problem i have had with my two units have been the fuse which is easily fixed and not a big deal

Fique
08-08-2009, 10:55 AM
+1 on Pioneer, Ive had them all and I keep coming back to them.

bigaudiofanati2
08-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I'd take a Pioneer over Alpine any day. Alpine hasn't impressed me since 2005. For the money, Pioneer offers a lot more than Alpine.

It dose not matter how many little visualizations and how it can tell you the voltage and all that junk. It is about quality and if you think that pioneer is better than alpine than I laugh. Nothing you can tell me or my friends that will make us believe that pioneer is better than a product that you have to mess with stuff just so you do not get noise or worry about cd's ejecting or crappy faceplate prongs giving out. Also the world of the ipod is here and pioneer still dose not improver there integration with it. When I buy something I want it to work PERIOD.

ejschultz
08-08-2009, 01:24 PM
It dose not matter how many little visualizations and how it can tell you the voltage and all that junk. It is about quality and if you think that pioneer is better than alpine than I laugh. Nothing you can tell me or my friends that will make us believe that pioneer is better than a product that you have to mess with stuff just so you do not get noise or worry about cd's ejecting or crappy faceplate prongs giving out. Also the world of the ipod is here and pioneer still dose not improver there integration with it. When I buy something I want it to work PERIOD.

Okay, every Alpine under the 9887 is super packed with a ton of features and they all give awesome SQ. The only Alpine out there at this point even worth looking at is the 9887 or the F1 products, if you have the money to purchase and import them. Sure, Alpine's work and I have nothing against their high end models, other than they're way overpriced for what they offer, but I'd rather spend a little less and get way more features with Pioneer; I'm not only talking about visualizations and a volt meter. Pioneer offers a mic that comes with the unit for auto TA and EQ unlike Alpine where it's $250 more for the 9887. They also offer a 16 band dual L/R EQ, High voltage, low impedance pre outs, and 24 bit DACs in more than just their top model. The noise people speak of with Pioneer is usually caused by user error. Other people have just as many problems with other brands. I've had 3 Alpines crap out on me in 3 different ways. My 7828 quit playing CDs, my 9807's buttons stopped working, and my first 9853 quit opening up so my CD wouldn't eject. (Obviously, I gave Alpine a few tries. I don't dislike them, but like I said, there's really nothing worth getting other than the 9887.) As far as the iPod interface or USB interface goes, I've only used the KCA-420i with my 9855 so I don't really have room to talk about it. I do like the Pioneer units with the USB control. It's fast and has a decent user interface. If you're looking for the best USB interface out there, for iPods or whatever else you may have, look at Kenwood Excelon.

Oh, and by the way bigaudiofanati2, try working on proper grammar and proper punctuation when you're trying to sound smarter than someone else.

RowJoe
08-08-2009, 03:13 PM

I had my Pioneer HU for nearly 5 years and aside from a couple small problems from normal wear and tear, it was great.

You make it sound like an Alpine HU is going to last your entire lifetime. If you're really that worried about quality, just buy the extended warranty that many retailers offer. I figure that unless I'm trying to resell or hand it down, 2-3 years out of a HU should be sufficient.

Pioneer usually gives you more features for your money. HUs like the 9886 are a complete joke.

I would buy a 9887 if I had the funds, though. Looks pretty nice, just wish it had a few more EQ bands.

P.S. The display 9886 at work had its faceplate crap out. It wasn't exposed to the typical environment in a vehicle. Good stuff.

ejschultz
08-08-2009, 03:24 PM
P.S. The display 9886 at work had its faceplate crap out. It wasn't exposed to the typical environment in a vehicle. Good stuff.

Sounds like high quality...:D

When I buy something I want it to work, PERIOD!

PerformanceAuto
08-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I have used Pioneer for years with very good luck! Anytime I did have an issue, their customer support usually took care of me.
Although, I have heard their overall quality has decreased in the past few years.
I recently decided to represent Kenwood head units only; no defects, perfect quality, best customer service, & amazing sound quality.
This would be a nice head unit for your needs: http://www.google.com/base/a/5767663/D12558150110080213497