PDA

View Full Version : Component suggestions!

RunninRedline
08-07-2009, 10:05 PM
So let me just get this out of the way by saying, I'm a noob about car audio. Don't get me wrong I wired my whole system and attempted tuning it. I'm mechanically inclined and have the basic idea down when it comes to car audio.

I'm a huge fan of SQ like most audio nuts are, well the ones that can still hear past their SPL days. I currently have the Polk DB 6.5" components running upfront getting approx 110w. They sound great the tweeter isn't too overpowering or sharp. The woofers have a pretty good bass range, but alas I want better.

I was kind of hoping to dip my feet into 3-way components. Somewhere in the range of $500. The brands I've been looking at are Focal (I really like the concept of the inverted tweeter), DLS, and Rainbow. I would like something that is well balanced. Also I've heard that with 3 way components it's hard to get "phasing" and imaging done right. I really kinda like trial and error and tinkering with things so if anyone knows of a website that could instruct me of properly doing it I would love that information. Also if the census is that 3-way would be too difficult and 2-way would sounds just as good I wouldn't be opposed to that either.

Thanks for the help!

SSS 18734
08-07-2009, 10:46 PM
It really depends on the car you're working with and the location you want to mount them in. Some are easier than others.

I just got done with my first 3-way active setup (without ever trying active 2-way before) in my truck and it turned out quite well. I haven't tuned it (other than level-matching the speakers) and it already brings out an entirely new level of clarity and imaging to my front stage. Granted, I put the mids and tweeters on axis on my dash, so I wouldn't HAVE to do a lot of tuning to get the imaging right.

I also really like the tremendous increase in midbass that a three way active setup brings. I'm running no sub right now and am perfectly happy with the way the music sounds on rock. Rap obviously leaves something to be desired, but my Peerless SLS's can actually produce a clearly audible 30 hz tone :D

Go with DIY components from partsexpress/madisound if you'd like to save some money and are willing to go active!

Savstyle
08-07-2009, 10:49 PM
have you deadened your doors?

Makes a HUGE difference

RunninRedline
08-08-2009, 12:12 AM
When you say deaden the doors do you mean the plastic panels or the actual frame of the door or both?

Also I would like to stay with passive crossovers as my current car is space limited and as sad as it is I don't have room for a multiple amp set-up.

Right now I'm leaning strongly towards 165KF 2-way Components just to get my feet wet with Focal since it's impossible for me to hear a set of them anywhere near me. Can anyone give their impressions of these speakers?