PDA

View Full Version : wood glue and liquid nails,

xxxbasshead
08-07-2009, 04:05 PM
enough to hold box together or also use screws?

SoCalBean420
08-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Screws...

jmanpc
08-07-2009, 04:07 PM
liquid nails < wood glue

when properly assembled, wood glue holds the box together, not screws.

uGotF-ckedUp
08-07-2009, 04:12 PM
liquid nails < wood glue

i still put a lot of screws in my boxes... i feel safer and like to know the box is never coming apart

bhsdriller
08-07-2009, 04:13 PM
wood glue only here

James Bang
08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
;jk;lja;dlkfjas;lksdfja;kjf;a fa

wood glue owns all when bonding....WOOD.

BushJ311
08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Wood glue + screws. Screws hold it in place until the glue dries. But i feel alot safer with both.

plugitin
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Wood glue + screws. Screws hold it in place until the glue dries. But i feel alot safer with both.

x2

xxxbasshead
08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
cool thanks i will add a few screws just to be safe

dr_peeb
08-07-2009, 04:26 PM
liquid nails < wood glue

I used to not believe the jman on this issue ... that is until I took two small, random-shaped leftover pieces of 3/4" MDF, glued just the one's 4" long edge and just slapped it on against the surface of the other, just set it down, without even using clamps ... 1 day later I could not snap them apart bare-handed. Just to finally get an idea of what it would take to break them apart, I had to set it on the floor and stomp on it, and finally that did it.

When I did that I could see how the fibers actually pull apart such that it's obvious the wood glue is actually stronger than the actual MDF.

Bottom line: Using screws is a waste of time/ effort/ money ... unless you have no clamps I guess.

tyler_fitz
08-07-2009, 04:31 PM
You should carefully read the label on liquid nails.

NOT FOR USE ON MDF

req
08-07-2009, 04:34 PM
use lots of clamps and wood glue if you have awesome skills cutting wood perfectly.

dry assemble to make sure it all fits, glue, then clamp and your enclosure will surely never come apart.

personally, i use a few screws.

predrill holes for screws *ONLY EVERY 6 INCHES* any more, and you will actually lessen the strength of your enclosure by splitting the wood all the way down.

use high quality tite-bond no-drip wood glue on the seams, assemble and screw together (after you dry fit and pre-drill all the holes). its all about prepping your work before you finish. if you predrill\assemble before you start trying to glue then things will go much smoother in the end and you will have a better enclosure when you are finished.

DONT USE LIQUID NAILS! wood glue should do the trick quite nicely. if you have some small gaps in the box, you can use some liquid nails to seal the holes from the inside, or you can use silicone - whatever floats your boat. i use the little tubes of silicone personally.

have fun.

72 chevy van
08-07-2009, 04:36 PM
i use wood glue brad nails and screws :)

dr_peeb
08-07-2009, 04:36 PM
i still put a lot of screws in my boxes... i feel safer and like to know the box is never coming apart

I suppose screws might make you feel better, like the wood glue might dissolve if your box gets wet*, but the MDF will swell up and then fall apart when wet, too ... then ya got screws holding nothing!!

* Huh-huh I said "if your box gets wet"

dr_peeb
08-07-2009, 04:39 PM
use lots of clamps and wood glue if you have awesome skills cutting wood perfectly.

dry assemble to make sure it all fits, glue, then clamp and your enclosure will surely never come apart.

personally, i use a few screws.

predrill holes for screws *ONLY EVERY 6 INCHES* any more, and you will actually lessen the strength of your enclosure by splitting the wood all the way down.

use high quality tite-bond no-drip wood glue on the seams, assemble and screw together (after you dry fit and pre-drill all the holes). its all about prepping your work before you finish. if you predrill\assemble before you start trying to glue then things will go much smoother in the end and you will have a better enclosure when you are finished.

DONT USE LIQUID NAILS! wood glue should do the trick quite nicely. if you have some small gaps in the box, you can use some liquid nails to seal the holes from the inside, or you can use silicone - whatever floats your boat. i use the little tubes of silicone personally.

have fun.

This won't happen if you drill holes the same size diameter as the shaft of the screws you're using, or even a tiny bit larger. This really only happens when the screw shaft is bigger than the hole, and therefore the screw's shaft is pushing outwards on the board.

Of course, I don't think you need screw at all ...

twistedchild420
08-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Liquid nails is where i went wrong on my current box,building another box in a couplee weeks,wood glue,couple screws, and aero ports FTW!

Mr. Slate
08-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I never had a problem with Liquid Nails and screws.

BassMechkanic
08-07-2009, 06:30 PM
i blow my edges clean with compressed air, apply wood glue out of bottle, use a 1" cheap brush and spead evenly, then use 1 1/2" finishing nail from air gun to put together, then i put a bead of wood glue in all the corners, let dry then caulk, on boxes i double up on i stagger the joints, and use 1" finishing nails with excess wood glue, for mounting sub, i spend the extra time and predrill for t-nuts, CA them in place, never had a problem, can tighten the subs 100&#37; tighter than just screwing in to the wood.

Mr. Slate
08-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Pretty good technique.