PDA

View Full Version : popping noise in dash speakers

treylittlefield
08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
ok guys i have infinity plate speakers in my dash...they kept comin in and out due to bad RCA's. i unhooked to the rca's from the amp and now every once in a while there seems to be a popping noise or like a crackling noise..i though it was just my wal mart RCA's but idk whats goin on :(

ramos
08-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Popping noise? Like a metal clicking sound? What kind of power are you running to them? Going on the limited info provided it sounds like they are bottoming out maybe :)

treylittlefield
08-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Popping noise? Like a metal clicking sound? What kind of power are you running to them? Going on the limited info provided it sounds like they are bottoming out maybe :)

no after i unhooked the rca's to them they still did it...lol i dont get it. i am running a 110x4 hifonics amp and its turned down. we set the amp the other day unin a voltmeter and everything. at firsdt the speakers were cunntin in and out and i figured out it was the RCA's. its kinda between a popping and a crackling noise idk how to explain it really. lol sorry

treylittlefield
08-06-2009, 10:12 AM

no after i unhooked the rca's to them they still did it...lol i dont get it. i am running a 110x4 hifonics amp and its turned down. we set the amp the other day unin a voltmeter and everything. at firsdt the speakers were cunntin in and out and i figured out it was the RCA's. its kinda between a popping and a crackling noise idk how to explain it really. lol sorry

misfit138
08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
My friend was having the same problem with his Kenwood plates. The one in his passenger door would click at high volumes. I thought it was bottoming out, but when I removed it I found some loose soldering on the built-in crossover. I fixed it up, and it hasn't happened since.

There's no way to be sure that you're having the same problem, but it never hurts to look. It's probably something simple...

ramos
08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
So it makes the noise with no signal going to it ? Time to check the speakers themselves. Could be something like was mentioned above, could be the cone hitting a wire or a lead :)

treylittlefield
08-06-2009, 12:01 PM
So it makes the noise with no signal going to it ? Time to check the speakers themselves. Could be something like was mentioned above, could be the cone hitting a wire or a lead :)

yeah the speakers dont have any power goin to them b/c i unhooked the rca's to that channel. it started makin a fuzzy sound a min ago but i dont understand why its doin it if there isnt even any power goin to it b/c i unhooked the rca's to my dash speakers.... :(

ramos
08-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Is the area the speakers mount to metal by some odd chance? :)

treylittlefield
08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Is the area the speakers mount to metal by some odd chance? :)

actually i htink its plastic cause its mounted to the dash on an s10.

treylittlefield
08-08-2009, 06:01 PM
i need some help guys :) lol please

mcsoul
08-08-2009, 06:16 PM
bloody cap

treylittlefield
08-09-2009, 01:57 AM
bloody cap

huh??

treylittlefield
08-10-2009, 11:20 PM
so what could be the reason it is poppin the way it is??

treylittlefield
08-14-2009, 01:37 PM
now my two door speakers make noises :( idk whats goin on seriously...it doesnt matter if the rca's are hooked to the amp or not it'll still make noises. the only time it wont make noises is if i actually turn my radio off...

mcsoul
08-15-2009, 12:58 PM
The infinitys probably have a 6db slope simple inline capacitor.
They can "leak" low range signal into tweeters that cannot
handle it. Also, do you have a HP filter set on your amps? If
not, you could be causing it that way.

treylittlefield
08-16-2009, 12:38 AM
The infinitys probably have a 6db slope simple inline capacitor.
They can "leak" low range signal into tweeters that cannot
handle it. Also, do you have a HP filter set on your amps? If
not, you could be causing it that way.

yes i have a HPF set on my amp and also on my headunit...:( i just dont understand why they are doin it when the rca's arent even plugged up?? so ur sayin i need new speakers right?

mcsoul
08-16-2009, 12:53 PM
yes i have a HPF set on my amp and also on my headunit...:( i just dont understand why they are doin it when the rca's arent even plugged up?? so ur sayin i need new speakers right?

No, my misunderstanding. Either your amp is screwed or your ground/power is loose somewhere.

treylittlefield
08-16-2009, 11:07 PM
No, my misunderstanding. Either your amp is screwed or your ground/power is loose somewhere.

well i'll check my ground/power tomorrow evening. and i hope my amp isnt screwed :( its a hifonics440 idk the series though. i bought it brand new last year

snaimpally
08-16-2009, 11:48 PM
ok guys i have infinity plate speakers in my dash...they kept comin in and out due to bad RCA's. i unhooked to the rca's from the amp and now every once in a while there seems to be a popping noise or like a crackling noise..i though it was just my wal mart RCA's but idk whats goin on :(

I had this problem. It turned out that my tweeters were running full range because my HU (DEH-P800PRS) was still in non-network mode though I had moved the switch to network mode. I did a reboot and then it all worked. If they are running fullrange it could be a problem with the crossover. Make sure the crossover is working for passive and check the crossover freq for active.

SWFL
08-16-2009, 11:53 PM
If i had to take a guess the terminals are touching the dash and grounding out

treylittlefield
08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
If i had to take a guess the terminals are touching the dash and grounding out

well its doin it to all speakers now...i'm thinkin the power ground problem is it...but they keep coming unscrewed. cause i noticed they were look bout a month ago and i had to tighten em up..anyone got any advice to to keep em tight?? dont wanna strip em or anything

treylittlefield
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
i think its my amp cause no matter if i mix my rca's up they sound the same and i'm gonna chnage the speakers to a different channel and see if the same channel is makin the fuzzy noise. if it is then i know my amp is screwed :(

PaulD
09-02-2009, 02:47 PM
OP, disconnecting the RCA's from amp is NOT meaning the speaker is not being powered - they are still connected to the amp. If the amp has a problem or poorly grouned or the speaker wires are grounding out it will still sound thru the speakers ......

treylittlefield
09-03-2009, 09:40 PM
OP, disconnecting the RCA's from amp is NOT meaning the speaker is not being powered - they are still connected to the amp. If the amp has a problem or poorly grouned or the speaker wires are grounding out it will still sound thru the speakers ......

yeah i figured that part out. lol i'm gonna check and see if the wires are grounding out. but its doing it to all four speakers except one so i'm thinkin its the amp :(