PDA

View Full Version : caraudiofiberglass anybody seen it

eus090474
08-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Just came across the site www.caraudiofiberglass.com and the example tutorials seemed great. Just wondering if anybody has seen the full videos. If so, is it worth the money?

dappa5
08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
never seen full vids but what the hell it's only money? right??
some of the ppl i've seen w glass work needed to have watched some thing like that lol
everyone assumes it's easy then after 1st hr of sanding they just give up and say that's good enuff paint will cover it or you can't see that under the vinyl lol so most diy glass work looks like azz screw it if these guys realy kno what they are doing and have found a way to make money @ it more power to them

hoss
08-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Just spend the $35 on resin and mat and read some online stuff and learn by experience...

Thats going to be the only way you are going to learn anyways. You can read other peoples advice for free and try it on your own, or you can pay to watch someone else do it.

Its fiberglass, even if you screw it up, you can fix it easily. It is an incredibly forgiving material.

SubNit
08-05-2009, 11:21 AM
....learn by experience...It is an incredibly forgiving material.

yep

dappa5
08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
he's prob the one selling the vid lol cut the guy a break

eus090474
08-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Im not selling it. I was just wanting to do my first fiberglass job and havent a clue where to start. i have been searching for awhile and I have an idea now but thought the vid would help me.

eus090474
08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
That kind of contradicted itself huh?

k_schutte
08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
there are WAY too many good FREE tutorials to pay...
for example:
http://www.gadrivers.net/~dwicker/fiberglass.html

I used to have a REALLY good one that had different skill level tutorials and a million pictures, that is how i first "learned" to fiberglass like 7-8 years ago. Fiberglassing IS pretty easy, it is the finish work that takes time and patience. I built my Cadillac door pods in a couple of hours (includes drying time for the fiberglass and evertyhing). I didn't paint them so that helped keep it a quick job since i just layed 4 layers of fiberglass and then one thick layer of long strand fiberglass filler, knocked it down with 80 grit and covered them... only "problem" I had was I wanted to match the interior and the leather for my cadillac form GM was like $300/yrd. So i pulled the piece from my back seat (covered the hole when the arm rest is done) to cover one side then had to test drive another cadillac and snag the same piece form it to do the other side... It does match, lighting is wierd in the second picture

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4846/cadillacpods001.jpg
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8003/cadillacpods005.jpg

audioarsonal
08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
The videos are actually pretty informative.The condensed version may seem like it just touches on little things but the actual videos break them down.Its nice for some people as they don't always have knowledgeable people to guide them.
If it works for you get it.For 35 bucks you'll probably learn something that will save you a few hours in the process which is worth it to me.Especically if you'venever done FG before.

dappa5
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
see now the guys who made that vid won't be able to buy weed now good job k_shutte
seriously though the best way to learn is to try it /mess it up/fix it/ try it again

dappa5
08-05-2009, 11:51 AM
The videos are actually pretty informative.The condensed version may seem like it just touches on little things but the actual videos break them down.Its nice for some people as they don't always have knowledgeable people to guide them.
If it works for you get it.For 35 bucks you'll probably learn something that will save you a few hours in the process which is worth it to me.Especically if you'venever done FG before.
good point

nineball
08-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I was just wanting to do my first fiberglass job and havent a clue where to start. i have been searching for awhile and I have an idea now but thought the vid would help me.

www.fiberglassforums.com

audioarsonal
08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Its all a learning experiance.This is just like having a book on tape.

Seriously,if you buy it and it saves you from ruining a project by something you may not know then I say its worth it.I mean material is expensive,especially if you get the good stuff(and believe me theres a differance) so anything that helps me out and saves money I'm for it.

k_schutte
08-05-2009, 12:00 PM
I agree that it would probably be helpful for a beginner.... At the same time there are a cazillion free tutorials that are just a helpful and filled with good info. I mean, its your money, I just don't see the point in paying for something you can get for free. hell, there are even a bunch of FREE fiberglass tutorial videos on youtube, google etc...
search "fiberglass tutorial" or "how to fiberglass" or fiberglass(ing) basics" and you will find anything/everything you need.

one thing i will add: When you get to the Kitty Hair (long strand fiberglass filler) step, be sure to mix it VERY, VERY well! if you think you got it, mix it a little more! I let me buddy help me on a fiberglass enclosure and as i was sanding I would hit filler that was soft and green. Meaning it had no hardener in it. I ended up just sanding it with 40grit and adding another layer but that took me a good hour or so

eus090474
08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Thank you guys. I have been living on fiberglass forums all day now. Lot of good stuff there. Thanks for the info. Think I am just gonna try to piece it all together myself for now. May end up spending the 35 if I get real lost and cant find any specific help

k_schutte
08-05-2009, 04:12 PM
What specificaly are you trying to make? I am sure i could almsot find you a step by step tutorial for you...

eus090474
08-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Gonna try to make a sub box to hold 1 15". I dont wanna make it too small though and I have not seen anything for a bigger box. The box I made for it that it is in now has 5.2 cu ft. That is what Kicker recommended for SQ for the CVR. I dont need it that big but still would like it close. I am sure that is going to need some sort of bracing too.

Oh yeah, it is sealed too

fbi90909
08-05-2009, 04:37 PM
i can fiberglass :)
current and in progress.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401793

my first time ever fiberglassing.
http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=65517

eus090474
08-05-2009, 04:54 PM
To be honest, I am kind of looking forward to doing it myself (at least for now). Just trying to get a few questions answered before I try to tackle it. Thanks though.

fbi90909
08-05-2009, 05:05 PM
To be honest, I am kind of looking forward to doing it myself (at least for now). Just trying to get a few questions answered before I try to tackle it. Thanks though.

i wasn't offering any service. i wouldn't fiberglass for anyone but me really. lol, unless if people are really ready to shed some big bucks for the work...

if you look at my 2 builds and read thru them i want to say it can give you "some" ideas on what you can do and a little how to. i'm a step by step person. just take a look.. glassing is way eay man. it just takes a creative mind and lots of patience to net you awesome results.

eus090474
08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Just finished looking through the threads. I have to say, that is some GREAT work. Sanding had to **** though