PDA

View Full Version : So, last time I let a friend work on my car - how bad of shape am I in?

tigerf117
08-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Waterpump went out like in a previous thread I made. So I work, and my buddy is out of work so I let him do the work while I borrowed a truck. everything supposedly goes well, and i come home after buying the belts, put them back on and try to start'er up. No go, just cranks over, but does not fire. Great. So I take off the top timing belt cover, and noticed there were no marks on the camshaft gears. Ok.... so I asked him if he marked the belt and gears when he was taking it off.... nope!!!

Another buddy tried to help me, and spins the camshaft gears (sprockets?) until they match up to the diagram in the cheapie haynes manual I have. Well, afterwards, I read you're not supposed to turn those more than a couple of degrees.

I don't know a ton about cars, enough to follow a book and do it myself. Unfortunately I didn't have to time to do it myself with work an all. Now I'm just wondering, with spinning those camshaft gears on the top of the timing belt, how much work did he just make for me? What exactly would be my next course of action? Thanks

hornedfrog1985
08-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Who said it was the water pump that went out? How do you go from water pump to... taking the engine apart?

pitbull12887
08-02-2009, 11:11 AM
you shouldnt have to find top dead center ( turning the gears ) when you install a belt and water pump? Thats only if you take out the distributor or something like that...dont make any sense thats its not cranking.... if you have a fault water pump it would just overheat kinda quick.

treadburner
08-02-2009, 11:16 AM
take #1 plug out and put youir finger over the hole
then crank very quick until that cynlinder is up then timing will be at 0

tigerf117
08-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Who said it was the water pump that went out? How do you go from water pump to... taking the engine apart?

You have to take the timing belt off, as well as the passenger side motor mount while you jack the motor up to do the water pump. Hence the above problem.

tigerf117
08-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Sorry, not sure how I will know when the cylinder is up?

pitbull12887
08-02-2009, 12:14 PM

or just stick a screwdriver down in the plug hole while you turn it and it will come up then stop then start to go back down...do it slowly and you can find top dead center...

If there are marks on your harmonic balancer then just put it to 0 then feel where the piston is in the first spark plug hole

SicAudio
08-02-2009, 03:12 PM
it sounds like an interference engine so all of you morons are wrong telling him to turn the motor *********! you have probably already bent the valves.
if it was that easy to do it wouldnt tell him not to turn the motor! sounds like a chrysler 3.5? or 2.7?

TimtheAxe
08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
it sounds like an interference engine so all of you morons are wrong telling him to turn the motor *********! you have probably already bent the valves.
if it was that easy to do it wouldnt tell him not to turn the motor! sounds like a chrysler 3.5? or 2.7?

Bent the valve?

We got superman on the forum folks!

Annnarbor84
08-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh boy, shade tree mechanics ftl:crap:

Louisiana_CRX
08-02-2009, 03:17 PM
sounds like you have an expensive problem ...now :crap:

tigerf117
08-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I haven't tried yet.... oh boy. Car is practically worthless now? A bent valve involves what exactly?

tigerf117
08-02-2009, 04:17 PM
BTW, its a 1.8l dohc on a 2000 kia

wu501
08-02-2009, 04:23 PM
yeah...your fuked :(

tigerf117
08-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I probably shouldn't pay my buddy for the work then huh? Oh well, I have a new car come this weekend. Thank god for that. Thanks for the help guys

Brian_smith06
08-02-2009, 04:39 PM
this is why i only let my dad work on my car. never had an issue :) then again i have only had to replace the belt on my car @ 110k miles and get new brake pads like twice :D

93dakota
08-02-2009, 05:43 PM
IF you didn't hear any thing out of the ordinary when you tried to crank it you may be fine. like coma said just get the engine back in time and if you can get your hand on a borascope to look in to the cylinders to see if the valves are ok then you may be fine. if it is an interference engine then you may have bend valves as well as damaged pistons, which depending on what year the car is and condition of the car then it may be cheaper to just get another car.

pitbull12887
08-08-2009, 07:20 PM
oh sorry then fellas....i only fvck with v8s... Never mess with the ricers... ANd its funny if yall are calling me a ******* seeing how i can build engines from the crank up <3 and have done everything on my cars alone since i was about 12

99grandprixGT
08-08-2009, 09:05 PM
so u fix this?

plugitin
08-11-2009, 01:33 PM
yeah, your screwed...just looked it up and im 99 percent sure its interference. Pistons hit the valves and bent them most likely. Bent valves means the cylinder will not hold compression properly and therefore not work right. Time the bad boy right, then try to start it i guess. You might even get lucky...

jon_k
09-10-2009, 11:49 PM
A bent valve involves what exactly?

Top half engine rebuild. Take valve covers off, inspect valves, replace if needed. Might have piston damage though.

I Like Waffle
09-11-2009, 02:35 AM
******* shouldve known to mark the cam and belt if he didnt see any marks existing. This is why 4 cylinders/new cars fail, remove the engine mount AND timing belt to change the water pump? Wtf?