PDA

View Full Version : graphic or parametric

kizz
08-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Is one easier than the other or better for sq adjustments?

ejschultz
08-01-2009, 01:19 PM
If you have a lot of bands graphic is easier and it will give you almost all the control you'll need to correctly tailor the sound. With less bands, maybe 5-7, parametric would be better. You don't have as wide of control with less bands and if you have certain frequencies that need to be tailored in any way, one of the bands will more than likely be able to adjust to that frequency to take care of it.

dragnix
08-01-2009, 01:20 PM
parametric ftw

bose301s
08-01-2009, 01:23 PM
parametric ftw

agreed

ejschultz
08-01-2009, 01:27 PM
My 800PRS has a 16 band graphic EQ. I like that much better than my old Alpine 9855's 5 band parametric EQ.

dragnix
08-01-2009, 01:35 PM
i prefer the 5 band on my Alpine over the 880's 16 graphic. I guess i like to do less work than tweaking 16bands of EQ

smgreen20
08-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Or if you're like me my Eclipse HU has 10 bands parametric and I have an AudioControl DQS for 30 more bands, graphic, per channel + 2 more parametrics per channel. It's b!tch to tune, but well worth it.

Sarthos
08-01-2009, 02:04 PM
DQS with 30 bands graphic per channel FTW.

Ctesibius
08-01-2009, 02:08 PM
One isn't better than the other.

Parametric gives you more control due to being able to select specific frequencies and target specific problem areas. More flexibility in control due to adjustable center frequencies and adjustable Q.

Graphic typically has more bands for broader control, but since center frequencies and Q factors are fixed so you have less precise control. What frequencies you can adjust and the Q of the filter is fixed, so you are limited to what the graphic EQ offers.

A lot of people prefer a good parametric due to the flexibility, even though it offers less bands.

dragnix
08-01-2009, 02:10 PM
One isn't better than the other.

Parametric gives you more control due to being able to select specific frequencies and target specific problem areas. More flexibility in control due to adjustable center frequencies and adjustable Q.

Graphic typically has more bands for broader control, but since center frequencies and Q factors are fixed so you have less precise control. What frequencies you can adjust and the Q of the filter is fixed, so you are limited to what the graphic EQ offers.
Seems like your last 2 paragraphs contradict your first sentence

Rich B
08-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Does anyone besides Soundstream make a small trunk mount parametric EQ?

AllenH427
08-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I prefer graphic. IMO, the more bands, the better. I tend to have a curve I go for on any graphic EQ I have, and then do small tweaks from there.

Ctesibius
08-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Seems like your last 2 paragraphs contradict your first sentence

:confused:

I don't see how. I simply compared/contrasted them. To paraphrase:

Parametric = less bands, but more precise control

Graphic = More bands, but less precise control

Choose your favorite flavor.

Ctesibius
08-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Does anyone besides Soundstream make a small trunk mount parametric EQ?

With the availability of digital processing, analog trunk-mounted processors are obsolete.

Rich B
08-01-2009, 02:30 PM
With the availability of digital processing, analog trunk-mounted processors are obsolete.

True, but I need one to finish my system.

mcsoul
08-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Parametric if you have golden ears or an RTA.

Graphic if you just want t quick and dirty way to get it done, mostly.

dragnix
08-01-2009, 03:36 PM
:confused:

I don't see how. I simply compared/contrasted them. To paraphrase:

Parametric = less bands, but more precise control

Graphic = More bands, but less precise control

Choose your favorite flavor.

seems like less bands with more precise control would be better than more bands with less precise control. But i guess that's just me.

Ctesibius
08-01-2009, 05:37 PM
seems like less bands with more precise control would be better than more bands with less precise control.

Not really.

Parametric allows you to target specific problem areas, whereas a graphic allows you to contour the overall response curve.

Twista89
08-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I like parametric more...my new HU I seem to be able to control the EQ better with the paremetric...but my 6900UB I had was defective now that I look at it and compare it to my 5000 I have so I cant really say if my graphic was better...

adam71
08-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Parametric if you have golden ears or an RTA.

Graphic if you just want t quick and dirty way to get it done, mostly.

A 30 band graphic eq will definitely require the use of an RTA as well. There is NO quick and dirty way to set a 30 band graphic eq. Unless the user doesn't care how it sounds.

adam71
08-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Not really.

Parametric allows you to target specific problem areas, whereas a graphic allows you to contour the overall response curve.

Exactly. Both have different purposes. With the use of an RTA a 30 band graphic sounds every bit as good if not better than a parametric.

However, I must add this. The acoustic environment of a vehicle will have a lot to do with it. fNot to mention the speakers in which the signal is being played through. A bright tweeter will need more attenuation than a smooth tweet. Some vehicles require much less equalization than others, therefore would need less bands. Again, it all depends on what you're looking to do. The signal chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

ejschultz
08-02-2009, 01:36 PM
A 30 band graphic eq will definitely require the use of an RTA as well. There is NO quick and dirty way to set a 30 band graphic eq.

This may be a noob question, but what is an RTA? I set my EQ by ear while I'm listening to music to tailor it to my liking.

adam71
08-02-2009, 01:45 PM
This may be a noob question, but what is an RTA? I set my EQ by ear while I'm listening to music to tailor it to my liking.

R.T.A. Real Time Analyzer.

http://www.bcae1.com/

Scroll down to #44 and read that section.:)

ejschultz
08-02-2009, 01:52 PM
R.T.A. Real Time Analyzer.

http://www.bcae1.com/

Scroll down to #44 and read that section.:)

Thanks.

EDIT: Basically what I got out of that is it's a spectrum analyzer that shows the real response curve of your system in the environment it is in. I love that website, I go there to read about stuff I'm unsure about all the time.

mcsoul
08-06-2009, 11:59 PM
A 30 band graphic eq will definitely require the use of an RTA as well. There is NO quick and dirty way to set a 30 band graphic eq. Unless the user doesn't care how it sounds.

Agreed, I was pondering a 7 to 11 band in my mind when I made that statement.

adam71
08-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Agreed, I was pondering a 7 to 11 band in my mind when I made that statement.

I hear ya. In a perfect world we wouldn't need them to begin with. But we all know a car's interior is "acoustic hell".