PDA

View Full Version : Sealed box.. does shape matter?

deez283
07-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm getting ready build a sealed box for 2 oldschool 15's and was wondering if the shape would change the sound? I drew up a quick picture in paint to show the shapes I had in mind to fit my trunk..

The first would take up more trunk space and the second would give me more.. this is from a side view of the box..

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/deez283/untitled.jpg

mcsoul
07-30-2009, 03:11 PM
It technically may, but not significantly, I doubt you'd notice it.
More trunk space ftw.

thegreatestpenn
07-30-2009, 03:14 PM
doesn't matter as much sealed as it does ported. BUt when you have alot of angles the box strength is not as strong.

ramos
07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Only thing I would be concerned bout is the mounting depth of the sub in your second pic , if the sub(s) fit It shouldn't effect the sound as long as both volumes are identical :)

deez283
07-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'd love to do a ported but I'd need the box to be a funky shape like the drawings above and not sure if it would work or even sound good..

The subs are older punch 15's model # SP 415 I'll be running 2 of them.

mmouse57
07-30-2009, 03:46 PM
doesn't matter as much sealed as it does ported. BUt when you have alot of angles the box strength is not as strong.

deff not a true statement
a pyrimid is stronger than a box and has more angles
strength is based on build quality period as you can dovetail an angle box and just screw a sqaure box together and not hard to know what one would be stronger, hehe

as for angles making a diff not at all air space is air space back pressure efects the cone movement so as long as the back pressure is the same angles or sqaure not going to see or hear a diff at all m8