PDA

View Full Version : Need good box designer

boomintahoe
07-29-2009, 07:47 PM
I bought a 8" sub that I just got and a plate amp that I wanna put in a vented box together. Naturally, the plate amp will be in the back of the box. The sub is http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-456 and the plate amp is http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-804 I didn't buy them from PE but got them from people elsewear and paid a better price than PE. This combo will be my home theatre sub. I'm lookin to do this project within a wk. Also the specs for the sub I have and recommended tuning, just ask me and I'll give them to ya. I used to have my old box designer that he used 2 programs (google sketch and something else I can't remember)to design boxes with...I think he may be having some issues at home. I emailed him earlier in the wk but I think he may be outta the loop for awhile. If you can post pics of your past/recent work.

DonH
07-29-2009, 07:52 PM
this for a ht setup? if so i have a **** good design!

dappa5
07-29-2009, 09:21 PM
good dude there ^^^^

boomintahoe
07-29-2009, 09:27 PM
this for a ht setup? if so i have a **** good design!

Please read what I typed again.

boomintahoe
07-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Anyone? Will pay by paypal...

dappa5
07-30-2009, 09:37 PM
dude you should hit up d_man1 so what if he misread post he has a bad azz ht design

boomintahoe
07-31-2009, 12:19 AM
dude you should hit up d_man1 so what if he misread post he has a bad azz ht design

Looks like he's offline now...

iamamp3pimp
07-31-2009, 12:21 AM
what up!

ygpm

DNick454
07-31-2009, 01:59 AM
<------- this guy

boomintahoe
08-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Anyone else? Not getting much help...

DNick454
08-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Anyone else? Not getting much help...

I never got a PM of any sort asking for help. What are the dimensions you're trying to stick to? What are these recommended volumes and tuning for the driver you've got? Is this going to be downfiring, forward firing, etc?

If you want pics of my past work, I'll get you my photobucket album link in a second, there's probably a 100+ pics of sketchup designs and builds.

boomintahoe
08-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Ok gimme a few mins I'll gather some info for ya...

boomintahoe
08-03-2009, 11:36 PM
This is the recommended ported box from Parts Express
Box Properties
--Description--
Name:
Type: Vented Box
Shape: Prism, square (optimum)
--Box Parameters--
Vb = 1.489 cu.ft
V(total) = 1.601 cu.ft
Fb = 21.16 Hz
QL = 6.885
F3 = 27.09 Hz
Fill = normal
--Vents--
No. of Vents = 1
Vent shape = round
Vent ends = one flush
Dv = 2.5 in
Lv = 17.38 in
Driver Properties
--Description--
Name:
Type: Standard one-way driver
--Configuration--
No. of Drivers = 1
--Mechanical Parameters--
Fs = 22 Hz
Qms = 2.8
Vas = 2.12 cu.ft
Cms = 0.12 in/lb
Mms = 2.692 oz
Rms = 8.307 lb/s
Xmax = 11 mm
Xmech = 22 mm
P-Dia = 7 in
Sd = 24829 sq.mm
P-Vd = 0.000273 cu.m
--Electrical Parameters--
Qes = 0.45
Re = 3.333 ohms
Z = 4 ohms
BL = 1.987 lb/A
--Electromech. Parameters--
Qts = 0.39
no = 0.137 &#37;
1-W SPL = 83.51 dB
2.83-V SPL = 87.32 dB

I'm looking for a square vented box...with the vent under sub or on side next to the sub on same plane and the plate amp in back 180 degrees....front of box where sub is we'll call it 0 degrees. The subs rms wattage is 280...the amp will push out 240...should push it nicely. LMK if u need anything else.

DNick454
08-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Hmm, with a typical port in the front of the box with the sub, it would have to be folded along that back wall which wouldn't work with that plate amp protruding into the box. You'd almost have to build a separate compartment for it so it doesn't stick into the port cavity. If you did that however, the box wouldn't be perfectly square like you wanted. Have you ever thought of doing a 1/4 or 1/2 wave transmission line enclosure? They're great for HT setups because you have the room to spare and they require very little power to get loud and have an amazing transient response. That woofer has a nice low Fs too of 22Hz. An Fs tuned 1/4 or 1/2 wave T-Line enclosure would be awesome for that thing.

boomintahoe
08-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Hmm...I was afraid of that. I don't want the box too big because my living room isn't very big at all. How big are transmission line enclosures and what purpose do they serve? Do some drawings or whatever and see what you can come up with

DNick454
08-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Hmm...I was afraid of that. I don't want the box too big because my living room isn't very big at all. How big are transmission line enclosures and what purpose do they serve? Do some drawings or whatever and see what you can come up with

Basically, a transmission line enclosure is a ported box without the actual "volume". The sub fires direction into a long port. The port is tuned by making it a certain length. The most common is the quarter-length wave t-line.

Lets say you want to tune to 22Hz, the Fs of your woofer.

1. Take 1,130 (the speed of sound in Ft per second) and divide it by the tuning frequency you want, in this case, 22Hz. That gets you a length of 51.4 feet. Yeah... thats the FULL length of a 22Hz sine wave traveling through air.
2. No need to panic though, we're making a quarter wave t-line so you don't have to have a 51 foot long port:crazy: So divide that by 4. That gets you 12.8 feet of port for a 1/4 length t-line enclosure tuned to 22Hz.
3. So how big does the port area need to be? Well, it's supposed to be the size of the actual cone area. But you can get by with a little smaller. And ontop of that, a 8" woofer doesn't actually have 8" in diameter of cone. Including the surround and the gasket, the cone is closer to 7".

So 7/2=3.5
3.5 squared = 12.25
12.25*pie (mmm pie) = 38.465 sqaure inches.

38 square inches of port seem like alot for a single 8" driver, well yeah, but keep in mind there's no actual empty space used as a "volume" for the driver like a typical sealed or ported box.

More or less it's a giant long maze of a folded port.

Benefits: It will get loud off of VERY MINIMAL power. The driver has next to no resistance in a t-line enclosure since it is very free-breathing and unrestrictive. It also has a great transient response and doesn't drop off real quick like a typical low tuned ported enclosure.

SicAudio
08-04-2009, 02:30 AM
this man here definately knows his **** !

DNick454
08-04-2009, 05:01 AM
this man here definately knows his **** !

Not really...

but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :laugh:

iamamp3pimp
08-04-2009, 11:56 AM
lol
\
that made me giggle somewhat

alexregalgs
08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Not really...

but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :laugh:

That was classic haha and after reviewing this thread i believe that t-line will really benefit that woofer

boomintahoe
08-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Basically, a transmission line enclosure is a ported box without the actual "volume". The sub fires direction into a long port. The port is tuned by making it a certain length. The most common is the quarter-length wave t-line.

Lets say you want to tune to 22Hz, the Fs of your woofer.

1. Take 1,130 (the speed of sound in Ft per second) and divide it by the tuning frequency you want, in this case, 22Hz. That gets you a length of 51.4 feet. Yeah... thats the FULL length of a 22Hz sine wave traveling through air.
2. No need to panic though, we're making a quarter wave t-line so you don't have to have a 51 foot long port:crazy: So divide that by 4. That gets you 12.8 feet of port for a 1/4 length t-line enclosure tuned to 22Hz.
3. So how big does the port area need to be? Well, it's supposed to be the size of the actual cone area. But you can get by with a little smaller. And ontop of that, a 8" woofer doesn't actually have 8" in diameter of cone. Including the surround and the gasket, the cone is closer to 7".

So 7/2=3.5
3.5 squared = 12.25
12.25*pie (mmm pie) = 38.465 sqaure inches.

38 square inches of port seem like alot for a single 8" driver, well yeah, but keep in mind there's no actual empty space used as a "volume" for the driver like a typical sealed or ported box.

More or less it's a giant long maze of a folded port.

Benefits: It will get loud off of VERY MINIMAL power. The driver has next to no resistance in a t-line enclosure since it is very free-breathing and unrestrictive. It also has a great transient response and doesn't drop off real quick like a typical low tuned ported enclosure.

Dam man!! you know yer shits son!! Thats absolutely perfect. Now I know what they are...and I've been into car audio a looooong time. I've seen those transmission line enclosures before just didn't really read up on their purpose/benefits. Parts Express is a perfect example of one they got on their home page right now on sale. Can you do up a design/drawing of this sometime soon?

DNick454
08-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Dam man!! you know yer shits son!! Thats absolutely perfect. Now I know what they are...and I've been into car audio a looooong time. I've seen those transmission line enclosures before just didn't really read up on their purpose/benefits. Parts Express is a perfect example of one they got on their home page right now on sale. Can you do up a design/drawing of this sometime soon?

Yeah sure... just a quick question though. I know you kind of said you wanted it to be a cube-"ish" shape. But is there any max on dimensions? Like for example... if I need a bit of extra volume, would you want me to expand the box depth wise, height, or in width to achieve that. What I mean is, if the box had to be bigger, would you want a short wide box or something that is tall and skinny like a cabinet?

boomintahoe
08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah sure... just a quick question though. I know you kind of said you wanted it to be a cube-"ish" shape. But is there any max on dimensions? Like for example... if I need a bit of extra volume, would you want me to expand the box depth wise, height, or in width to achieve that. What I mean is, if the box had to be bigger, would you want a short wide box or something that is tall and skinny like a cabinet?

Well I don't know. Like I said, I don't got much space to put it. I don't even know where I'm gonna put it!! But that's the fun part right...figuring out where it goes best. Going a little high on volume wouldn't hurt. Depthwise would want to keep it on the low, maybe tall and skinny. See what you can do, I'm curious how this will turn out.

boomintahoe
08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Might even hit you up on redoing the design for my 4 10's enclosure....this time a lower tuning, the one I got now is 35Hz.

boomintahoe
08-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Bump

boomintahoe
08-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Guess I gotta find another designer...am I being ignored??

dappa5
08-11-2009, 12:22 AM
have you pmed him??