PDA

View Full Version : Creating mounting bracket for 6.5" from slightly larger

Heide264
07-29-2009, 09:41 AM
So after finally getting the door panel off in an old GMC Safari van (astro van... price was right) to throw in my JBL woofers, I found the woofer mounts to be off significantly. Either the woofers are actually 6.75" or something goofy like that, or the mount is just oversized.

..Anyhow, the mount is riveted into the door panel with 6-7 rivets and as normal the grill in the door panel fits snugly over the foam ring on the delco speakers. Meaning I can't really move it forwards or backwards without some seriously work.

I was thinking about using plywood to make basically a ring that I can bolt into the speaker mounts and then bolt my jbls into with a bit of hot glue or a foam ring or something to keep it semi-air tight. It would have to be 1/4" or under. Any advice on the matter? Sorry for the really, really bad paint image... just wanted to get the idea across.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26512855&d=1248800803

dappa5
07-29-2009, 09:50 AM
first this thread is almost as useless as the last identical one where are the pics of prob

well you are on the right track but you need to drill out those rivets and take out that factory plate
this should help w / thickness then if you still need wood go for it after you screw wood to door dynamatt over it all then install speaker

Heide264
07-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Yeah I moved it over after realizing I posted in the wrong forum, sorry about that...

Well, my main concern with depth isn't going frontwards with the door panel, its going inwards due to the window being there (the plastic mount comes off the door about an inch and a half).

The stereo isn't going to be in here long term; just another year and a half probably so wasn't looking to dynamat anything, but I'll look into it.

Not that friendly with mechanic work still; getting there. If you don't mind could you give me a brief run down how to remove those rivets? I think I have a set of metal bits downstairs somewhere.

dappa5
07-29-2009, 10:10 AM
then just remove it and mount it with 3/4 mdf or two then you will be the same depth

Heide264
07-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Alright, as far as the rivet removal goes... http://www.pcmodhouse.com/id51.html a fairly good method?

dappa5
07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
nice post for those w/o rivet remover or to scarey to use a drill
just drill it out carefully

Heide264
07-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Alright, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. Will post some pictures or something about the install after I get it done.

mmouse57
07-29-2009, 10:30 AM
drill rivit head out with a 1/4in unibit
then in the 3/16in or so hole thats left use a 1/4in tap to thread the holes so oyu dont have to add new holes and can bolt the new plate/speaker in :)

Heide264
07-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Woo, chance to use the tap and die set... good call... always wanted to use it haha.