PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Components good for 150 RMS?

Sarthos
07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for some 6.5s good for 150 RMS? That's what my 2 channel amp puts out for my front speakers, and I have Alpine Type R components, but they're going in the back. I listen mainly to country music, so something more tuned towards country and older rock (like the Eagles or Elvis) would be best. I can spend a decent amount for something real good, otherwise I'm just looking at these.

http://sunsetronics.com/customer/product.php?productid=4042&cat=0&page=1

I'm really not knowledgeable about all the different types of speakers there are, but I know that Alpine doesn't have any speakers rated for that much power, and I know a lot of other brands don't either, but I know there are definitely brands I don't know about that probably do. So any suggestions?

thegreatestpenn
07-27-2009, 05:11 PM
RF power series comps.

carlionne1
07-27-2009, 10:12 PM
here are a few suggestions

Boston Acoustics SX60 http://techronics.com/caraudio_6292_Boston+Acoustics+SX60+SX+Series+6+1/2+2+way+Component+System.html

Boston Acoustics SPZ60 http://techronics.com/caraudio_5649_Boston+Acoustics+SPZ60+6+1/2+Car+Audio+Component+Speaker+System.html

Infinity Reference 6030cs http://techronics.com/caraudio_9731_Infinity+Reference+6030cs+6+1/2+2+way+Reference+Series+Component+Speaker+System. html

JL Audio ZR650-CSi http://techronics.com/caraudio_8111_JL+Audio+ZR650+CSi+6+1/2+Evolution+ZR+Series+2+way+Component+Speakers+Sys tem.html

MTX Audio TXC6.1 http://techronics.com/caraudio_3108_MTX+Audio+TXC6.1+6+1/2+Car+Audio+Component+Speaker+System.html

Sarthos
07-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Huh. I could've sworn that none of the JL speakers had that high of RMS each. The infinity reference speakers though are only 90 RMS each, and the Boston Acoustics SX60 speakers are only 65 RMS each.

But if I look at the JL ZR650-CSi, the Boston Acoustics SPZ60, and the MTX TXC6.1, what exactly should I look for?

7ender
07-28-2009, 01:29 AM
I used to throw 150 at my cadence cwm6 comps all day long and they took it like a champ. And they were 75$.

Anniku989
07-28-2009, 01:32 AM
cheap- pg rsd's
else- id ctx65cs

/thread

mazda6i07
Im selling some Boston Acoustics Sx65 coax's if you're interested. But listed above there are multiple good sets.

Christo19
alpine type r comps for front and back

Sarthos
07-28-2009, 01:56 AM
I already have Alpine Type R Components in front, and I had them in the back, but I switched over to Planet Audio BB625Cs in the rear and like those much better. Louder and not as harsh. And that's with 150 to the front and 100 to the rear.

I'm suspicious of the PG RSD speakers simply because they're almost too cheap, and also because they're rated at 60 RMS each. I've heard lots of claims that speakers that are rated at small powers can run way more power if it's clean power, but I really don't wanna have to be constantly replacing blown speakers. Also, those PG speakers have the steel baskets, IIRC they're not the best for keeping cool, so probably not the best for high power.

The IDs are kinda nice, I like the high efficiency on them, but the rated watts is also only 100. Same for the Cadence speakers. I am running subs so I will have them crossed over to protect the speakers from really low frequencies, so it might help speakers with lower power ratings to survive higher wattage, but I dunno if I really wanna risk destroying speakers.

Looking nice would be cool, cause my speakers are highly visible, but that's not the be all and end all lol. Might just end up making custom grilles. But does anyone have any thoughts about the first speakers I linked to? I know the company is now owned by Boss Audio, but I think that model was designed before then. I've never had a bad experience with Planet though.

Anniku989
07-28-2009, 02:02 AM
I already have Alpine Type R Components in front, and I had them in the back, but I switched over to Planet Audio BB625Cs in the rear and like those much better. Louder and not as harsh. And that's with 150 to the front and 100 to the rear.

I'm suspicious of the PG RSD speakers simply because they're almost too cheap, and also because they're rated at 60 RMS each. I've heard lots of claims that speakers that are rated at small powers can run way more power if it's clean power, but I really don't wanna have to be constantly replacing blown speakers. Also, those PG speakers have the steel baskets, IIRC they're not the best for keeping cool, so probably not the best for high power.

The IDs are kinda nice, I like the high efficiency on them, but the rated watts is also only 100. Same for the Cadence speakers. I am running subs so I will have them crossed over to protect the speakers from really low frequencies, so it might help speakers with lower power ratings to survive higher wattage, but I dunno if I really wanna risk destroying speakers.

Looking nice would be cool, cause my speakers are highly visible, but that's not the be all and end all lol. Might just end up making custom grilles. But does anyone have any thoughts about the first speakers I linked to? I know the company is now owned by Boss Audio, but I think that model was designed before then. I've never had a bad experience with Planet though.

..../ I had a whole paragraphy typed up, but forget it

Go buy some audiobahns

Sarthos
07-28-2009, 02:12 AM
I've never understood why, but any speakers that cost 40 dollars for a 3-way component pair sorta set off a red light in my brain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOBAHN-AS65V-6-5-3-WAY-200W-SPEAKERS-6-1-2-SET-NEW_W0QQitemZ140330702638QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Sp eakers?hash=item20ac5c972e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

misfit138
07-28-2009, 02:23 AM
RF power series comps.

I love them. I have 4 BNIB pairs of 5.25"s right now. I found them for $98 shipped per pair, and couldn't pass it up. I'll either use them for my build at the end of the year or they'll make good christmas presents...

misfit138
07-28-2009, 02:24 AM
Huh. I could've sworn that none of the JL speakers had that high of RMS each. The infinity reference speakers though are only 90 RMS each, and the Boston Acoustics SX60 speakers are only 65 RMS each.

But if I look at the JL ZR650-CSi, the Boston Acoustics SPZ60, and the MTX TXC6.1, what exactly should I look for?

RMS ratings don't mean everything. Some speakers can safely handle WAY more than their recommended wattage...

Lil Poot
07-28-2009, 03:31 AM
my 18s are rated at 1kw rms each. i once dropped my memphis to .25 ohms on them, sent them around 3 times rated power. i bump them hard on a daily basis on 2k rms each.

i run a 150x2 on some tweets rated at 75w each, and a 200x2 on some mids rated at 100w rms IIRC. i've never blown a tweet or mid, and have not blown a sub without knowing i was pushing its limits and risking damage. i have only blown 3 subs in 11 years of slammin.

Lil Poot
07-28-2009, 03:38 AM
and i've pretty much always run more power than rms ;)

SRim23
07-28-2009, 03:50 AM
RMS ratings don't mean everything. Some speakers can safely handle WAY more than their recommended wattage...

yeah but most people that bought the pg rsd's and swore they took 150rms+ a piece and sounded great, usually a week or two later complained about tweeters being blown.

im sure there are sets that handle more than their rms safely but you are usually talking mid to high dollar sets that can do that, in most cases budget comps should be kept near their ratings.

5dollapizza
07-28-2009, 04:18 AM
i've got 175rms going to my rf power 6.5's crossed at 80hz and they love it. going on five months now. i'm sure there's people on here that have some better sq driver suggestions that can take that power, but i can tell you first hand these will take that power daily, get plenty loud, and sound very decent doing it.

Lil Poot
07-28-2009, 05:17 AM
isnt there a jumper or something in the rsd crossover to attenuate the tweet?

5dollapizza
07-28-2009, 05:23 AM
should be, but haven't seen them personally. the crossovers that came with my rf's has a jumper for 0, -2, and -4, along with the other jumpers you would set for biamping the set. even my old fanatic q system has that.

Anniku989
07-28-2009, 11:05 AM
isnt there a jumper or something in the rsd crossover to attenuate the tweet?

There's a switch, i'm pretty sure its for 0 & -2

Sarthos
07-30-2009, 02:03 AM
It just makes sense to me at least that if I were to get a set of speakers that were rated at 150 RMS and run them at 150 RMS they'd last longer than speakers that are only like 100 RMS. I'd also prefer not to run anything at a higher RMS wattage than its advertised peak wattage (like the Phoenix). Going through like 10 speakers trying to find something I can run at that wattage doesn't sound fun.

KyleBechtold
07-30-2009, 02:07 AM
xs 65s rated for 125 but in the comp vehicle they are running 700 or so to em with no problems

Sarthos
07-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Alright, I do have a decent number of suggestions, but does anybody have any suggestions of what I might want to look for for speakers on country/older music?

Also, keep in mind this is a daily driver, so if something can take a bunch of wattage in a comp car for a few seconds or minutes, it might not fare as well as being played for like half an hour at a time, twice a day.

MrMckie
07-30-2009, 11:13 AM
my infinity kappas were getting 125w each with no problems.

altoncustomtech
07-30-2009, 11:24 AM
I'd like to point out that the PG RSD's are actually rated 120wrms, the back of the woofer says 5-120max on it and the online stores assume half that for the rms rating (hence the 60rms)...... PG themselves state they are rated for 120RMS all day long..... and for anyone who has problems with blowing tweeters, any brand, just buy a couple of dome light bulbs from the auto parts store and install them in the positive wire to the tweeter and you'll save them...... sound like bull I know but that's how BOSE protects it's tweeters on the 801 and 901 series and Polk uses them on the SR6500's..... I have them in the lines for my tweets, Hifonics Atlas components getting 150rms a pair, rated for 125 and haven't had one pop yet.........

just my worthless .02....

DUMPED
07-30-2009, 11:31 AM
I have a BNIB component set from Crossfire.
Its their NEO 6.5" component set.

let me know if you're interested.

thaster
07-30-2009, 11:36 AM
if you could find them, i'll say go buy some Crystal SSCS6 comp set. im giving mines 175 rms daily for almost 2 years now driving at least an hour a day. still sound as good as when i first bought them.

mmouse57
07-30-2009, 11:51 AM
PPI 365ci's can do 200w rms no prob and get loud

Sarthos
07-30-2009, 06:31 PM
How the heck will that save tweeters? That sounds like a way of fusing the tweeters, and dome lights will blow if you try to run that much power from them won't they?

What kind of differences would I notice between a bunch of the aforementioned speakers? I know that the different sensitivity makes quite a difference for speakers, but for the rest of the things like cone material and such?

eharri3
07-30-2009, 07:27 PM
It just makes sense to me at least that if I were to get a set of speakers that were rated at 150 RMS and run them at 150 RMS they'd last longer than speakers that are only like 100 RMS. I'd also prefer not to run anything at a higher RMS wattage than its advertised peak wattage (like the Phoenix). Going through like 10 speakers trying to find something I can run at that wattage doesn't sound fun.

May make sense to you but it's an incorrect assumption. The way power is delivered to speakers has been rehashed on here so many times I won't go into it except... realize that if your amp EVER delivers rms wattage to your speakers it will be extremely rare, and ony occur at instances when your head unit is cranked almost to the max and you hit a loud point in a specific song. Might not even happen but for a split second. For much of the time during normal listening at moderate volume it may surprise you to know that your big beefy 150 watt amplifier may only be sending between 10 and 50 watts to each driver.

Power doesn't kill speakers, the user's setting does. Don't believe the hype about over or underpowering causing instant speaker death. I could run a 100 watt speaker off either a 15 watt head unit or a 200 watt amp all day long for years without a problem. (I've done both.) Wattage ratings are a general reference point and they mean almost nothing. The more power the better. The more power you have, the more likely you will be satisfied with your system's loudness at moderate gain settings. If you are running at closer to rms or below it and you aren't happy with the loudness, you may be tempted to fix the problem with tuning rather than more power and better equipment. THIS is where people usually get themselves into trouble. Everybody has bought into this bs that your system will sound perfect regardless of whatever mediocre equipment you have so long as you match rms ratings perfectly and get speakers with big wattage numbers on the box. When they are dissappointed they proceed to slowly burn up their stuff in an effort to wring more out of it.

Go overboard with the power then ease off on the gain dial. You won't be sorry. There are some high end 2 or 3 way systems out there I've heard of with RMS ratings of 150-180 watts, most good systems I know of are rated for 100-120 watts and get 200 or more thrown at them by alot of people.

bread0710
07-30-2009, 07:28 PM
i love my boston pro60SE.

Sarthos
07-31-2009, 01:46 AM
@ eharri3-isn't that what the point of setting the gains with a DMM is?