PDA

View Full Version : power predicament, what are your thoughts?

Big Ry
07-26-2009, 03:36 AM
i have rainbow CMX kicks in the front (currently active), and rainbow SL69's in the rear deck. i originally had the kicks passive on the front channels of my PG xenon 200.4 and the SLs on the rear channels. long story short, i got f*cked over by a member here and no longer have the xovers. ive searched and searched but cant find em anywhere. i want to power my SLs off the xenon. so a while back i bought a 2ch USamps amp (cant remember the model). i still havent installed it yet though. i was just thinking though...couldnt i run the CMX woofers parallel on the rear channels with the SLs? obviously id need an external filter for the woofers. the CMX woofers, according to rainbow, are 4ohm, the SLs also 4 ohm. Xenon amps are like the JL slash series in that they run the same power from 1-4ohms or something of that nature. regardless, power at 4ohms should be the same as power at 2. the xenon can put out 240w cont per channel and each SL/woofer pair would only need 200w. so would this work, or am i missing a key ingredient here? lol

Big Ry
07-27-2009, 01:14 PM
nobody?

Big Ry
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
jesus, what happened to this place? :(

bubbagumper6
07-27-2009, 07:17 PM
can the filter in the amp be bypassed? Because if it can't (and it's a high pass filter) you won't get any bass out of the amp...

But if what you say is true about the power being the same from 1-4 ohms, it should work (in theory i suppose) You will need a low pass filter for the subs, and a high pass filter for the regular speakers.

joeboxer5876
07-27-2009, 07:20 PM
what kind of vehicle is this in. personally i would put all the power up front and run the 6x9s off the head unit. i feel that the only need for rear fill speakers is for when you have passengers in the back seat!

bubbagumper6
07-27-2009, 07:21 PM
what kind of vehicle is this in. personally i would put all the power up front and run the 6x9s off the head unit. i feel that the only need for rear fill speakers is for when you have passengers in the back seat!

This works too, I thought when I first started I needed powered speakers in the back, but in my last install (out of laziness) I just disconnected the rear speakers, and I honestly can't tell the difference :P

joeboxer5876
07-27-2009, 07:22 PM
jesus, what happened to this place? :(

maybe try here http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/

Big Ry
07-27-2009, 07:22 PM
no, there are no subs...well i have subs, but theyre on a separate amp. im trying to hook up the woofers from my rainbow CMX kicks in parallel with my Rainbow SL69's (6X9 coaxials) on the 2 rear channels of my PG xenon 200.4. and yes, the amps filter can be turned off but ill be needing it. i think both the CMX woofers and the SL's have to be crossed at (or at least near) the same frequency with the amps HPF. then id simply need an external LPF for the woofers, correct? do they make LPF's that hook into the speakers wire instead of the RCAs?

Big Ry
07-27-2009, 07:25 PM

yeah, well my CMXs just arent loud enough for my taste. i actually like rear fill though.

its an 03 accord ex coupe (V6/6-speed)

Big Ry
07-27-2009, 07:26 PM
maybe try here http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/

yeah im registered there, as well as SSA and caraudioforum, but on SSA and DIY i always get errors when i try to post, so ive never been able to post. just never cared enough to do anything about it lol

reason i said that is cause this place always had answers for everything...

joeboxer5876
07-27-2009, 07:28 PM
no, there are no subs...well i have subs, but theyre on a separate amp. im trying to hook up the woofers from my rainbow CMX kicks in parallel with my Rainbow SL69's (6X9 coaxials) on the 2 rear channels of my PG xenon 200.4. and yes, the amps filter can be turned off but ill be needing it. i think both the CMX woofers and the SL's have to be crossed at (or at least near) the same frequency with the amps HPF. then id simply need an external LPF for the woofers, correct? do they make LPF's that hook into the speakers wire instead of the RCAs?
http://smiliesftw.com/x/facepalmsmiley1ti3.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

bubbagumper6
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Ah, I misunderstood. People say woofers and I immediately think subwoofers...sounds like a sound plan then?

joeboxer5876
07-27-2009, 07:30 PM
yeah, well my CMXs just arent loud enough for my taste. i actually like rear fill though.

its an 03 accord ex coupe (V6/6-speed)

i don't think there is anything that bad about rear fill but like i said, i would only use it for passengers in the back seat.

joeboxer5876
07-27-2009, 07:31 PM
i would try hooking them up to the hu first and then you will have plenty of power for you front stage

Big Ry
07-27-2009, 07:31 PM
http://smiliesftw.com/x/facepalmsmiley1ti3.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

whats that supposed to mean?

joeboxer5876
07-27-2009, 07:32 PM

i just wouldn't go that route!:p:

Big Ry
07-27-2009, 07:34 PM
i would try hooking them up to the hu first and then you will have plenty of power for you front stagei guess i failed to mention that the SL's have been running off the deck since i got f*cked over with my Xovers and had to go active. just not loud enough for me :/

and i got loads of power, my xenon does 240w/ch :)

bubbagumper6
07-27-2009, 07:35 PM

lol, google "facepalm"

Big Ry
07-27-2009, 07:38 PM
i just wouldn't go that route!:p:

yeah, well i think the whole "you only need frontstage" thing is all e-BS. yes, simple stereo (left and right) is technically all you need to hear everything, but that doesnt mean it sounds better...

id have to have some loud *** MFin' comps in front to only need frontstage for the volumes i like. rear fill actually FILLS the car with sound IMO. ive done both ways and I just prefer having rear fill. now if the argument is that it doesnt reach your ear as quickly as the front, well then thats just a TA issue which can be addressed by most higher end HUs. mine has TA for all 4 speakers. Ive never even bothered using it however lol.

Big Ry
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
lol, google "facepalm"

no, i knew what the icon/face was, just didnt know why he did it

joeboxer5876
07-27-2009, 07:55 PM
yeah, well i think the whole "you only need frontstage" thing is all e-BS. yes, simple stereo (left and right) is technically all you need to hear everything, but that doesnt mean it sounds better...

id have to have some loud *** MFin' comps in front to only need frontstage for the volumes i like. rear fill actually FILLS the car with sound IMO. ive done both ways and I just prefer having rear fill. now if the argument is that it doesnt reach your ear as quickly as the front, well then thats just a TA issue which can be addressed by most higher end HUs. mine has TA for all 4 speakers. Ive never even bothered using it however lol.

if you like rear fill so much, go to a concert and stand backwards:laugh:

joeboxer5876
07-27-2009, 07:59 PM
what im trying to say is, music isn't intended and wasn't designed to surround you. it supposed to come towards you head on! if you doing you front stage right, you will have no need for much power going to your rear fill. im not saying to go without your rear fill, you like what you like so im not gonna argue with you there. im just saying that i think you system would sound good with you rear fill powered by your HU

Big Ry
07-28-2009, 12:48 AM
what im trying to say is, music isn't intended and wasn't designed to surround you. it supposed to come towards you head on! if you doing you front stage right, you will have no need for much power going to your rear fill. im not saying to go without your rear fill, you like what you like so im not gonna argue with you there. im just saying that i think you system would sound good with you rear fill powered by your HU

dude, it already is powered by the HU....its not loud enough. and i cant afford $3000 components that can handle 300+W a piece.

music was never intended to come from any direction. theres no law anywhere that says music is supposed to come from a certain direction. the only reason they say frontstage is so important is because its the most direct route to the ear drum with the least amount of distortion. so yes, ideally it would make the most sense if youre thinking about it in the simplest of viewpoint. but this isnt a set of headphones, its a car. the aucoustic properties of a car greatly factor into the sound quality and distortion. and even the best SQ techs cant get it to sound perfect.

i personally dont care to spend that much time on mine. i like the way it sounds now, i just want it a little louder. the sound quality is great for me...

nineball
07-28-2009, 01:39 AM
make your life easier and just get another small 2 channel amp for the rear speakers or find a 4 channel that will have enough power with channels 3&4 bridged to drive your sub.

Big Ry
07-28-2009, 01:47 AM
make your life easier and just get another small 2 channel amp for the rear speakers or find a 4 channel that will have enough power with channels 3&4 bridged to drive your sub.

i purchased a USAmps MD22 a while ago now for just that reason. now im broke and would like to sell it. and also, theres no point in me having it in there if im barely using it. i mean a PG xenon 200.4 + USAmps MD22 to push a total of 400W to all my speakers? such a waste of potential power (and trunk space) lol