PDA

View Full Version : Looking for upgrade from Alpine Ref's

Alter Ego Trip
07-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Looking at trying something else out. I'm more an SQ guy. I do like it kind of loud, but not obnoxious. Here's a quick breakdown

Vehicle - 2005 Chevy ext cab
Amplification - MTX TE1004 125x4 or 450x2 :D and MTX TE1501D
Subs - two 12" RE SE12's in a sealed box
EQ - (if you can call it that) Imprint
Deadening - Lot's + ensolite

1) Prefer a more laid back tweet like the Ref's (not a fan of Focal at all)
2) Obviously would like a speaker with punchy midbass to blend well with the subs
3) I'm no installation expert so off axis imaging is important
4) Price point......hmmmm. Let's say 300-600. Used or new is an option.

Thanks

lyttleviet
07-24-2009, 03:23 AM
I'd consider some of the following components I've heard and love.

Hertz MLK165
Morel Dotech Ovation 6

These seem to be exactly what your lookin for.

vellocet
07-24-2009, 04:12 AM
I've kinda had a want for some rainbow germs for awhile.

James Bang
07-24-2009, 04:15 AM
bump to pro?

Eugenics
07-24-2009, 04:21 AM
go active?

cd6551
07-24-2009, 04:32 AM
go active?
Agreed. Always the better choice

bass_lover1
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
go active?

That wouldn't accomplish anything.

Alter Ego Trip
07-24-2009, 12:14 PM
I'd consider some of the following components I've heard and love.

Hertz MLK165
Morel Dotech Ovation 6

These seem to be exactly what your lookin for.

I will do some research on them. I have heard some negative's on the Morel's Tweeter?? (muddy?) To clarify; it would be easier to find out for myself if I lived somewhere that had many different brands to demo. Unfortunately I live in BFE and the only option I have is a couple brands hung on a board at my local B&M, hence purchasing the Alpine's.

When building my HT I had to rely on a lot of people's opinions as to a good recommendation for speakers. I actually find it kind of funny as the speakers I am running in my theater are on the brighter side, whereas in my car I perfer a warmer more laid back sound. It might have something to do with there being many more uncontrolled reflections in my car, whereas my theater is heavily dampened.

bump to pro?

I have heard from a few people, they actually prefer the Ref's to the Pro's. Not sure why. My local B&M doesn't stock the pro's though so I can't comment.

go active?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm a HT nut but fairly new to a well tuned CA system. What advantage would going active present over my current setup? I agree that different xovers and tuning will improve the nature of the soundstage, but the inherent sonic thumbprint if you will, would still be the dominating factor would it not?

okiedokie
07-24-2009, 12:44 PM
With yourbudget look into the pro or hertz.
Morels tweeter muddy?
You couldsave yourself some money & look into raw driver,
Running active you have more control

Alter Ego Trip
07-24-2009, 01:12 PM
With yourbudget look into the pro or hertz.

From the little amount of research I've done this far, Hertz are stacking up to be at the forefront of my list.

Morels tweeter muddy?

That's what I thought. Maybe that isn't how they described them, but a couple reviews I read mentioned the tweets were the weak link.

You couldsave yourself some money & look into raw driver,
Running active you have more control

Most of my tweaking energy is spent in my HT room, lol. I just want a really good OOB system to put in my truck. I know I won't see it's full potential, but I'm sure it will be good enough to satisfy me.

Alter Ego Trip
07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Also, has anyone had any experience with the Polk SR6500's. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about them and they were priced right in the mix with the others (500.00 if I remember correctly). I just don't know how available they would be nowadays.

I see Crutchfield has some open box one's left for 680.00. Too expensive compared to the competition?