PDA

View Full Version : Sealed box advice

badvlvo
07-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I am building a sealed box for (4) RE SE 4dvc 10" subs.
The plan is to wire them @ 2ohm and power them with my RD 1750.1 until I can get a larger amp.

Here's the question- RE recommends .65 per sub for the optimal sealed box. The design that is replacing the back seat in my truck is at about .9 per sub after displacement.

What effects will I have by going with the larger box?

The box is designed at that size for packaging and structural reasons. It is replacing my back seat and will be integrated with storage and other needs that I have for my truck. I can shrink the inside of the box if needed but it will require some more work on the planning.

Just looking for some input from those who are more experienced that I am with sealed boxes.

I prefer the sound quality of a sealed box, with 4 of the SE's it will have more than enough sound to meet any of my needs.

Vermithrax
07-23-2009, 06:44 PM
You'll probably get a bit more low end response, a possible slight decrease in power handling. It could cause the subs to sound boomy. I'd suggest modeling them in WinISD and see what the response looks like.

Just because you have the space for .9cf/sub doesn't mean you have to build the enclosure to that spec. You could put in some extra bracing or blocks to reduce the volume to the ideal airspace.

mcsoul
07-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Glue a couple 2x4's into each chamber. Do the math first.

badvlvo
07-24-2009, 08:16 PM
The way that the structure will work it looks like I will have to add some material inside the boxes to get the size right. I can't move the walls, they are sharing sturcture with other things that are being installed in the truck.

Oh well, I just did the math to figure out what I need to do to get them at .65 each and I will just double or triple the walls to get the size where it should be. This will be a 150lb box by the time I am done.

vellocet
07-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Glueing boards in there is called using slugs. Just add some more bracing or thicker walls and you'll be good to go.

badvlvo
07-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Glueing boards in there is called using slugs. Just add some more bracing or thicker walls and you'll be good to go.

It's already braced well enough that I could use it in place of jack stands for the truck. I will just double up the walls on the inside, it's not like I don't have enough MDF sitting around.