PDA

View Full Version : help me choose some 6x8's please

boomstang
07-23-2009, 04:44 PM
I want to replace all four 6x8's in my mustang and I can't decide what to get.
My budget is $150, but I might go as high as $200 for all four speakers.
The amp I will be using is an old school Coustic Power Logic AMP-268, here's the specs:
45 watts rms x 4 @ 4 ohms, 90 watts rms x 4 @ 2 ohms
IIRC these amps were conservatively rated at 12 volts, so it's probably more like 50x4@4/100x4@2 with the engine running.
I'm not worried about getting the highest sound quality, I just want whatever will get the loudest with the amp I have, and will still sound pretty clean when playing at full power.
My new HU has adjustable high pass filter to block out the bass, so low bass performance is not an issue as I am running subs (see my sig), I do however want good midbass performance as I listen to rock and heavy metal when I'm not pounding the ground with rap. Let me know what you guys think. thanks

Millertime1028
07-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Very hard to beat....

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11654_Pioneer+Premier+TS-D802P.html

boomstang
07-23-2009, 04:59 PM
You runnin' those? Can you compare them to anything else you've heard? thanks

boomstang
07-23-2009, 10:58 PM
I've been lookin at infinity kappa 682.9's. They're supposedly very efficient and are rated 100 watts rms, plus they are 2 ohm, so Ill get full power from my amp. Im thinkin they would be the loudest option. I know that some people talk smack on infinity, but it seems that most of them complain that the tweeters are too harsh, which I don't think would be a problem for me as I like a little more treble than most people anyway. Setting aside the tweeter harshness, does anyone else think that infinity's would be the loudest option in my price range?
Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming, im sure theres tons of stuff out there I haven't seen or heard of yet.

EuphoricBass247
07-24-2009, 02:29 AM
id go with the pioneers.excellent speakers.do some searching on the pioneer d series.

Louisiana_CRX
07-24-2009, 02:33 AM
I have a nice set of Digital Designs I took out of my Explorers front doors for $70 shipped...the sounded awesome...very strong mid bass and crystal clear highs :)

boomstang
07-24-2009, 02:58 AM
I have a nice set of Digital Designs I took out of my Explorers front doors for $70 shipped...the sounded awesome...very strong mid bass and crystal clear highs :)

I might be interested, got a link or a model# so I can check em out?

boomstang
07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
After doing some shopping around, I ended up getting some Powerbass 2XL-6802's. I found a local guy that sells them, and I thought they were the loudest and most natural-sounding speakers that he had in his board. I haggled him down to $150.00 out the door (after taxes) for 2 pairs with a 3 year warranty.
I finally heard the Infinity Kappa's in person, and now I see why everyone hates those tweeters. IMHO, I think the infinty's sound like you're listening to speakers, but the powerbass's sound like you're listening to music (if that makes any sense). I never got a chance to hear the Pioneer's that Millertime recommended, but I think these Powerbass speakers will do well enough for me. I'll let everyone know how they work out after I finish installing them and the amp.