PDA

View Full Version : Tweeters shut off

old_greg
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
ok i have SLC 230.25 NG - Rainbow SLC NG 5.25" 2-Way Components
and the tweeters cut out when i reach a higher volume level but dont distort.

In the manual it says this is a safety feature to protect the tweeters and it says to remove the halogen bulbs in the x-overs and replace with a silver jumper to take off the safety feature.

I replaced both bulbs with some wire as it says in the manual and the tweeters are still going out.

Anyone with rainbow now how to solve this problem?

Theride
07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
LOL when you find a cure/answer please let me know. just got these and saying its annoying is an under statement. I havent tried that silver wire yet but now im wondering if should seeing what you just wrote.

BTW ive posted this on here plus PM people to find out and nothing.

AllenH427
07-22-2009, 10:02 PM
LOL when you find a cure/answer please let me know. just got these and saying its annoying is an under statement. I havent tried that silver wire yet but now im wondering if should seeing what you just wrote.

BTW ive posted this on here plus PM people to find out and nothing.
Replace your bulbs with a jumper and see if it works. I'm clueless.

old_greg
07-22-2009, 10:06 PM
im gonna call rainbow audio tommarrow morning

Theride
07-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Replace your bulbs with a jumper and see if it works. I'm clueless.

The OP did that and it still cuts out. now what. LOL

I think its rediculous for a set costing 5 times as much as the RSD to cant get as loud as them. i do like the smoothness or the rainbow tweets though. i just wish those things gets loud without cutting out.

old_greg
07-22-2009, 10:58 PM
i figured i dropped 270 on components the tweeters would be the ****.
the quality is there but the fact they cant get as loud as the brothering woofers angers me
why put those tweeters with the woofers when they cant keep up

Theride
07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
i figured i dropped 270 on components the tweeters would be the ****.
the quality is there but the fact they cant get as loud as the brothering woofers angers me
why put those tweeters with the woofers when they cant keep up

when you find the answers to all those questions, please let me know.

Im still going to try this SILVER wire thing just to say ive tried all the options.

Ive already purchase a nice amp for them and they still dissapoint. after ive tried the silver wire and if they still cut out. imma throw these **** in the garbage and get some focal.

AllenH427
07-23-2009, 12:22 PM
The OP did that and it still cuts out. now what. LOL

I think its rediculous for a set costing 5 times as much as the RSD to cant get as loud as them. i do like the smoothness or the rainbow tweets though. i just wish those things gets loud without cutting out.
The OP and I are friends, we did it together at his house.
You both should contact rainbow and see if they say the same thing. There is no doubt they can get louder... they aren't even distorting when they cut out.

okiedokie
07-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Rainbow & cdt audio & a coupe of other companies do that for a tweeter protection,
try switching out xovers to a better passive set or just go active & you want have that problem any more

old_greg
07-23-2009, 11:17 PM
i just put the halogen bulbs back in and they can take more power before cutting out than the silver wire jumper

Theride
07-23-2009, 11:38 PM
what happen if you remove the wire and or bulb altogether?

old_greg
07-23-2009, 11:42 PM
havent tried that but wouldnt that not be good idea becuase then there is a circuit that isnt complete? And isnt a short when the electric trys to pick a shorter path to something blowing a fuse?

Theride
07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
dont know actually. im as cluless with this

old_greg
07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
i did turn the crossover down on my 4 channel and they can take more power but also loose sq

jmanpc
07-24-2009, 01:01 PM
by jumper, they meant a solid metal bar the same size as the bulb. :fyi:

old_greg
07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
example?
and shouldnt that have came with them?

old_greg
07-24-2009, 01:40 PM
examples?
and shouldnt they have came with the speakers?

old_greg
07-25-2009, 01:09 AM
give me some answer people!

do some research im lazy and stupid

Eddie Havok
07-25-2009, 05:24 AM
you might have a short somewhere, try disconnecting the mid and run just the tweeter and see if it still shuts off.

by jumper bar they men just use a sliver bar the same size and the bulb as stated before.

try running the tweeters active and see if they cut out, if so, theres a short or overpower or something somewhere..

Theride
07-26-2009, 04:23 PM
so i finanally did everything the manual says to do to disable this "tweeter protection" and nothing worked. I spent over 20 dollars trying to find wire to make this jumper the manual says and after installed, it still cut out.

Another thing I was trying to do was adjust the cross over points to see maybe setting those differently will make it louder( little black things) and one of them the black protection cover came off. LOL I Had to laugh when this happen. It happened on S1. This was when I was ready to put a sledge hammer to the crossover.

If you are like me who simply wants a component set to simply drop in and play and at high volume, this set is NOT for you. Based on all the crap I went through, this set is for people who want to by-pass the stupid cross-over(weak link) and go active. I mean how can rainbow make a set so people could bi-amp them and these things CANNOT handle power?

I eventually had to install my RSD cross-overs.

AllenH427
07-26-2009, 04:33 PM
The OP told me that he replaced his bulbs and they haven't cut out yet. Now they even start to distort at such high volume. He's coming over tonight, I'll take a look to see if they are upside down or something.

Tonyguy
07-26-2009, 05:20 PM
What kind of power are you giving the set? I had this problem with a buddies set of Dyn 242s fed off of 2 channels from a jl 300/4 (roughly 75-90w aside). The tweeters would cut out at higher volumes. But then we bridged the 300/4 and gave each side about 150w, and the tweeters never cut out again. And the set got even louder and sounded better.

AllenH427
07-26-2009, 05:22 PM
He's giving 100rms a piece.

Theride
07-26-2009, 10:36 PM
What kind of power are you giving the set? I had this problem with a buddies set of Dyn 242s fed off of 2 channels from a jl 300/4 (roughly 75-90w aside). The tweeters would cut out at higher volumes. But then we bridged the 300/4 and gave each side about 150w, and the tweeters never cut out again. And the set got even louder and sounded better.

I was giving mine 150 rms per side bridged. i figured the amp was not good and went and baught a MB QUART amp which is giving them i think 125 per side. not bridged.

they play wonderfully now with the rsd crossover.

okiedokie
07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
^^^interesting

old_greg
07-27-2009, 07:23 PM
ok so bulbs are back in its been three days or so and they never cut out and i can turn them up and make them distort which is way louder than any listening volume. I dont understand it but who cares

Theride
07-27-2009, 09:15 PM
which bulb are u using?

old_greg
07-28-2009, 12:05 AM
the halogen bulbs that came in the x-overs

Theride
07-28-2009, 12:08 AM
i damaged one of mine trying to TEST things out yesterday

old_greg
07-29-2009, 03:49 PM
what did you do blow one? or mess up the x-over?

Theride
07-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I cracked it on purpose.

Are you speakers still holding up? not shutting off?

old_greg
07-30-2009, 09:39 PM
they did once today when i was listening to some trivium cut off when there was a guitar solo alot of highs

but still was alot louder than before

i dont know i need to call rainbow
i emailed them but i dont think they ever responded

SRim23
07-30-2009, 09:53 PM
sounds to me like maybe you shouldnt remove the bulbs? if they are cutting out to protect them, maybe thats a sign they need protecting?? just a shot in the dark. seems maybe if they werent being pushed beyond their limits they wouldnt be cutting out.

old_greg
07-31-2009, 01:37 AM
they dont even distort so they are nowhere near blowing so its not that they cant handle it

it might be a safety feature to the listener not the speaker to protect your ear drums

i dont know because it doesnt make sense for them to cut out when they are not distorting at all and shouldnt the other speakers have trouble being pushed that hard if thats the problem

Mr. C
07-31-2009, 02:10 AM
I also say ditch the passive x-overs and go active. That's my vote.

old_greg
07-31-2009, 02:04 PM
i would have to buy a new head unit to be able to do that so i think im gonna save the money and figure this out