PDA

View Full Version : car cranks too long before it turns over

ExpiredDrummer
07-22-2009, 04:46 PM
i just acquired an 88 merc topaz with 38xxx grandma miles on it. it runs and drives flawlessly. only problem i have is when i try to start it. it will crank real good, but i have to let it crank for probably about 5 or 6 seconds before it turns over. starter is fine, fuel pump is fine, spark is good, brand new coil pack.

anyone have any other ideas?

audioatg
07-23-2009, 09:35 PM
What kindof fuel pressure do you have. And no dont just disconnect the line turn the key on and see how far it shoots fuel. Get a gauge and check it. Might not have enough fuel pressure.

lol_j00_mad
07-24-2009, 12:32 AM
that old of a car has either a carb or throttle body injection..either way get somone to turn the car over and see if the throttle body starts spraying immediately and if its a carb see if the choke is working

Bullet03
07-24-2009, 04:09 PM
try running a higher rated fuel. u might have somethin gunkd up in the fuel line.. also as stated fuel pressure. have u checked the fuel filter?

andrewmoore13
07-24-2009, 04:13 PM
could be a little water in the gas?

same thing happened to me yesterday when i got outta work. went to start the car as normal and wouldn't go. had to stomp the gas pedal to get it running and it ran like **** for about 1/4 of a mile. then it smoothed out.

i was away for a week so it sat for a bit. was probably mad at me for going away lol

audioatg
07-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Even an old car like that has to have some kindof fuel pressure. Might be only 4-5psi. But if you dont have any pressure its not going to run. How do you know the fuel pump is fine. Or even how do you know any of the things you said are fine. What kindof testing did you do.

Ignatowski
07-26-2009, 09:30 AM
fuel pump prolly.........just cause yo hear the pump does not mean its holding pressure...

try this test..... get in the car after its been sitting a while,turn the key on and off 2-3 times and then start it,if it fires right up like normal than its defiantly your pump

audioatg
07-26-2009, 02:01 PM
fuel pump prolly.........just cause yo hear the pump does not mean its holding pressure...

try this test..... get in the car after its been sitting a while,turn the key on and off 2-3 times and then start it,if it fires right up like normal than its defiantly your pump

Not sure that test will work with a mechanical fuel pump. Thats driven off the engine turning. ;);)

Jason19
07-26-2009, 02:22 PM
replace the crankshaft sensor

Johnny Law.Lulz
07-26-2009, 02:27 PM
If its injected get some fuel system cleaner and all that. Also check your timing

audioatg
07-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Guy has not been on since 7/22/09

Wounder if he remembers he has this thread.