PDA

View Full Version : 80hz - 18db/oct vs 63hz - 24db/oct

blackbonnie
07-22-2009, 08:51 AM
which one would be better for mids. im running id oems in deadned and mostly sealed doors of a 2005 grand prix.

im im wanting more midbass right now with some puch to it until i et a subtage again. which one do you think would be better to run with these.

and safer. i dont wanna push them past there limits but i have heard of people running them at 63hz - 24db/oct in properly deadned doors.

what do you think?

RAM_Designs
07-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I run mine without any HP crossover right now, since I'm subless and everything.

bass_lover1
07-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I think you should try both instead of starting this thread. Seriously it's less clicks on your HU than it was to type all that crap out.

smgreen20
07-22-2009, 09:59 AM
It all depends on how well your mind can play the other 17 Hz between 63 and 80? At the given slopes they'll cross each other in the neighborhood of 33Hz at about -21dB, that's on paper as I'm not on my computer that has the program to plot.

Try both set ups at your normal listening level and hear for yourself.

headless
07-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Midbass response is not going to change all that much going from 80/18 to 63/24...at that point you're getting into the bass level.

I found that with a ****** ported sub setup, my system sounded better at 63/24 for LP and HP...because the ported setup was pretty worthless above 50hz anyway. But with a nice pair of sealed vanadiums getting 450-500w each, it sounds nicer to let them play a bit higher and let the fronts run at 80/18 for LP and HP. It really depends a lot on your deadening/sealing on the doors too, when you get to that kind of frequency. Most doors are not stiffened enough to handle 50hz at high volume from front speakers. need a lot of mass loading and stiffening and deadening to really pull it off. it also depends on how loud you like to listen... the ID OEM's are decent mids, but i don't know that they won't hit Xmax pretty quick at 63/24 if you are volume hungry. I know the much deeper power line CS mids that I run can certainly hit maximum excursion if i try and run 63/24 at high volumes - which is one more reason why I prefer 80/18. They just don't stress as much. I recommend using your ears and playing with the different options; it really varies by equipment and installation immensely, as well as personal taste. When I had no sub in my car, i ran my power line cs at full range and they did just fine, though obviously not as loud as a pair of 12's ;). I just was a bit more careful with the volume and paid visual attention to the amount of throw they were getting. I ended up running a 40hz/24db HP crossover on them just so they wouldn't try to produce super low sub bass.

blackbonnie
07-22-2009, 12:23 PM
well i have tried both and have been trying to decide, but i guess my main question should be

which setting will hit full excursion quicker?

i like 63 @ 24db but i feel like my doors get a little anoying from the rap songs crossed that low as im getting some rattling glass inside my doors (from when someone smashed out my window and i didnt clean it all the way.

i basically want to push it almost to its limit but not quite.

im just trying to fill in a little bass until i get a new substage.

headless
07-22-2009, 12:29 PM
To maintain the same volume, a speaker must move 4 times as far per every halfing of the frequency. Thus, the lower crossover point will cause your speakers to reach maximum excursion faster.

James Bang
07-22-2009, 01:14 PM
let your ears decide.

the xover point and slope of your subs should be considered too as phase will change between the two as you change the slope on either mid or sub.

I would suggest you stick with 80hz and experiment with different slopes.

Beerdrnkr
07-22-2009, 01:55 PM
You'll have to experiment man. I'm usually in my car for atleast an hour at a time whenever I'm trying to tune my system going through different settings. Now it's even longer because I'm running everything analog (I miss my H701/C701). I have my midbass running down to 63hz/12db slope on 300wrms each and when I was subless I had them running from 32hz-250hz and they still handled it very well. Although I'm running 8's.

smgreen20
07-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Any time you play/xover lower, regardless of the slope, you'll reach xmax quicker.

Your ears will be the best judge.

blackbonnie
07-22-2009, 08:31 PM
You'll have to experiment man. I'm usually in my car for atleast an hour at a time whenever I'm trying to tune my system going through different settings. Now it's even longer because I'm running everything analog (I miss my H701/C701). I have my midbass running down to 63hz/12db slope on 300wrms each and when I was subless I had them running from 32hz-250hz and they still handled it very well. Although I'm running 8's.

well ill be soon to run 8's, hopin to trade for a couple e8s. i would love to run them in my doors but i dont think i can accomadate there depth

James Bang
07-22-2009, 08:35 PM
well ill be soon to run 8's, hopin to trade for a couple e8s. i would love to run them in my doors but i dont think i can accomadate there depth

that's what she said.

blackbonnie
07-22-2009, 08:41 PM
OMG she did say that...i forgot

JeepBeats96JGC
07-22-2009, 08:54 PM
find a friend with rhythm, give him a kick drum n hit the road.