PDA

View Full Version : Which Bass Blockers for 3.5 inch speakers

kyledoo
07-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Hello, I am new to all this car audio stuff, but I have heard that if i have speakers that do not produce much bass (the 3.5's in my dash) that installing a bass blocker can help alot with SQ while still allowing my rear 6x9's to play the bass according to my EQ settings. Crutchfield has a range of frequencies available, and i was wondering which ones i should get. NOTE: If I change my current aftermarket speakers(cheap blapaunkts) to a higher-end set, would that necessarily mean I would need new bass blockers?

Varinabassing
07-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Are you using a amp? if you are it has a high pass filter which will filter out bass like you want you could put the speakers you dont want to have bass on the front channels so the HPF can keep bass out of them and put the 6x9 on rear channels and let them wang ha

Louisiana_CRX
07-21-2009, 10:53 PM
a 50mfd non polarized cap inline on each positive lead :)

jdawg
07-21-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=1

http://www.parts-express.com/non-polorized-electrolytic-capacitors.cfm

kyledoo
07-21-2009, 11:07 PM
a 50mfd non polarized cap inline on each positive lead :)

Sweet, those are cheap! and does it make a difference what impedance my speakers are? I assume it does as the crossover frequency chart has values for each speaker impedance. What is the crossover frequency that I should use?

Louisiana_CRX
07-21-2009, 11:08 PM
that would be for a 4ohm speaker.....that is all a bass blocker is ...but wrapped in heat shrink with wires soldered to the legs....

kyledoo
07-21-2009, 11:09 PM
that would be for a 4ohm speaker.....that is all a bass blocker is ...but wrapped in heat shrink

wow, that is a HUGE rip off, I am so glad I asked here before buying

Louisiana_CRX
07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
wow, that is a HUGE rip off, I am so glad I asked here before buying

yeah they are.. this will give you a simple 6db passive crossover for your mids to reduce the bass