PDA

View Full Version : Infinity speakers

jmcinvale
07-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I was wondering if Infinity speakers are still any good? I have four 6.5" Infinity reference series speakers that I bought a year ago. I looked on their website and they don't make that model speaker any more. The new Reference series speakers appear to only have a capacitor in series with the tweeter and do not have an external crossover box like mine have. Another example of a company selling out to a large conglomerate.

SocialStealth
07-20-2009, 01:29 PM
yes

blazeplacid
07-20-2009, 01:39 PM
there are component sets and coax

almost all coax sets have a capacitor/crossover for thw tweeter built into the mid

comp sets, of course have a separate, stand alone crossover

jmcinvale
07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
The new ones by Infinity don't seem to be built the same as far as the crossover is concerned. Mine have an external 12 db/octave crossover for the tweeter and woofer whereas the new reference series ones have what appears to be a single cap in series with the tweeter which gives a 6 db/octave crossover meaning the tweeter will be 90 degrees out of phase with the midbass driver.

ejschultz
07-20-2009, 02:01 PM
The new ones by Infinity don't seem to be built the same as far as the crossover is concerned. Mine have an external 12 db/octave crossover for the tweeter and woofer whereas the new reference series ones have what appears to be a single cap in series with the tweeter which gives a 6 db/octave crossover meaning the tweeter will be 90 degrees out of phase with the midbass driver.

True. The single capacitor will make the current either lead or lag, I can't remember which as I am on summer vacation right now, by 90 degrees. Because the voltage will be at 0 degrees as far as the current is concerned, the power will be V (0 degrees) * I (90 degrees) = power (90 degrees). If you have an external crossover with a capacitor/inductor/resistor network, I don't see how that will keep the mid in phase with the tweeter. Different value components mixed together will give different phases. I'm sure there could possibly be a point where the external crossover could have the perfect values for both the mid and the tweeter to have a perfectly in phase crossover. This, however, would have to be extremely large and inefficient. Then again, I may be completely wrong; it is summer and I do tend to forget a lot over a couple of months. In which case, completely disregard this post.

jmcinvale
07-20-2009, 02:10 PM
With a proper crossover on the tweeter and midbass the speakers will be closer in phase with each other versus just a capacitor on the tweeter. Of course one could always insert the required value of inductor in series with the midbass driver :D

ejschultz
07-20-2009, 02:58 PM
With a proper crossover on the tweeter and midbass the speakers will be closer in phase with each other versus just a capacitor on the tweeter. Of course one could always insert the required value of inductor in series with the midbass driver :D

Like I said, it's summer and it's been a long summer for me at that. I'm a little rusty.

boomstang
07-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I was considering buying some kappa 6x8 coaxials (which still have the seperate crossovers btw), does anyone know if thier power ratings are realistic or over rated? It seems that most of what is available in the same price range is rated around 45~75 watts rms, but the infinitys claim to take 100 watts rms.
O.P., Are your old 6022i's still holding up alright? Do they seem to handle rated power?

ejschultz
07-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I was considering buying some kappa 6x8 coaxials (which still have the seperate crossovers btw), does anyone know if thier power ratings are realistic or over rated? It seems that most of what is available in the same price range is rated around 45~75 watts rms, but the infinitys claim to take 100 watts rms.
O.P., Are your old 6022i's still holding up alright? Do they seem to handle rated power?

I've had my Infinity Kappa 693.7i speakers in my car for a couple of years now and they still hold up great. I feed them about 100 watts rms and they can take more. I think the rms rating on them is higher than that though. They can get loud and they stay very clear for the high volume they put out. I have to keep them turned down so they don't overpower my front stage.

jmcinvale
07-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I made a mistake when i filled out my signature. I actually have the Infinity Kappa 62.7i speakers.

ejschultz
07-20-2009, 09:04 PM
I made a mistake when i filled out my signature. I actually have the Infinity Kappa 62.7i speakers.

Those probably sound real similar to my Kappas that I've got then, mine may be a little louder due to the 3 way design. Yours are probably cleaner and a little better balanced.

jmcinvale
07-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Yep mine play loud and sound good doing it.

okiedokie
07-21-2009, 12:30 AM
^^^do they!

boomstang
07-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about getting them but now I think I will. I'm lookin at the kappa 682.9's to run front and rear. I plan to run an old school coustic power logic 268 amp that I still have sitting aroud. It may be older than some of the members here, but its still a pretty good amp that does 100x4 @2ohms.