PDA

View Full Version : Do people ever calculate box size for a coax's mid-woofer?

drpeeb
07-20-2009, 12:53 PM
I want to put a set of 6.5" coaxes on my Kawasaki Mule in a very tight space.

If I make small boxes for them just barely bigger than the speakers themselves, will they sound OK ... or should I try to calculate the optimum/ minimum box size I can get away with so the mid-woofer still sounds good/ has some bass?

I'll also have a 10" sub, so ... Maybe I should just set the crossover point higher so the sub handles more of the mid-bass so the coaxes don't have to?

Thanks ...

drpeeb
07-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Anybody? Anybody?!

SSS 18734
07-20-2009, 03:10 PM
You should opt for a set of 3.5" or 4" coaxials if your space is that limited. The woofer will have no bass/midbass in an enclosure that's just slightly bigger than the speaker itself.

jmanpc
07-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Pics of where you gotta mount em?

drpeeb
07-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Pics of where you gotta mount em?

See the little portable KLH speakers, attached with their brackets right now ... I want to scrap those since they don't sound very good (very light weight), instead make my own small boxes & put a pair of 6.5" coaxes in them. They need to be tucked up under the roof as tight as possible so they don't block my vision too much. And, I'm actually going to attached the new boxes to the roof out front outside the roll cage, angled slightly back toward the "cabin" (rather than inside like the KLH's are now). So ... the height of the new boxes can only be about 4.5" tall at the deepest (front) point & even less at the rear due to the angle.

So, using the dimensions I have in mind each box would be only 100.2 cubic inches. Is that so small they're gonna sound like cr@p?

SSS 18734
07-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Looks to me like you could build shallow boxes going across most of the roof. You could get plenty of airspace that way and it wouldn't obstruct your view.Then fire the speakers straight down near the front.

Unless that would mean you're bumping your head on the speaker boxes...

drpeeb
07-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Looks to me like you could build shallow boxes going across most of the roof. You could get plenty of airspace that way and it wouldn't obstruct your view.Then fire the speakers straight down near the front.

Unless that would mean you're bumping your head on the speaker boxes...

That's true, I could get max volume by making them take up the full width.

Head bumping won't be a problem since they'll be mounted outside the front of the roll bar.

So, I take it this means people don't normally do box size calcs for mid-woofers or coax's.

JimJ
07-20-2009, 07:06 PM
So, I take it this means people don't normally do box size calcs for mid-woofers or coax's.

Sure, at home...

In a vehicle it's generally in the context of airspace for kick pods or door pods...and they're not usually rectangular enclosures.