PDA

View Full Version : jl box help

augie
10-23-2003, 07:41 PM
alright well im new at box buildin but i have researched alot and know what it takes to build a custom box...i downloaded winisd...it tells me that i need a 12.367 cu. ft. ported box with 4" ports for 2 12" jl audio w3s. doesnt that seem a little big(da cu. ft.). i could use some help cause im gettin pretty **** close on buildin the box. :confused:

mattj
10-24-2003, 11:39 PM
12.3 is pretty big but it all depends on what you want. in that 12 cubes its going to get pretty loud but more then likely sound like shiit. you could narrow it down to like 5 cubes total and it would still sound fine (for JL) :evil:

augie
10-27-2003, 02:54 AM
alrite...well thanks. but instead im goin to make it a two chamber 5 cube box with 2.5 to each chamber...and also a port to each at 20-23 hz. hows that sound. i mean im not tryin to blow my **** windows out i just want to bump so i can enjoy tha **** thing...what do you think?

LoneRanger
10-27-2003, 03:20 AM
alrite...well thanks. but instead im goin to make it a two chamber 5 cube box with 2.5 to each chamber...and also a port to each at 20-23 hz. hows that sound. i mean im not tryin to blow my **** windows out i just want to bump so i can enjoy tha **** thing...what do you think?

Five cubes sounds great for 2 w3's, but tuning them that low is kinda overdoing it. I'd tune them to about 28-32hz, and for goodness sake use a single chamber ported box that way you don't end up with two boxes tuned to different frequencies. Even the slightest miscalculation or miscut will leave one tuned slightly higher than the other and will completely throw your sound off. When tuning subwoofer boxes, even a 32nd of an inch makes a difference!

augie
10-27-2003, 03:29 AM
alrite...one chamber for two 12s...one port...how big and how deep? also...if its tuned to 28-32 hz...that means that it hits harder at those fs or what?

LoneRanger
10-27-2003, 03:41 AM
alrite...one chamber for two 12s...one port...how big and how deep? also...if its tuned to 28-32 hz...that means that it hits harder at those fs or what?

I'm no doing all your work for you! If you want me to figure the size of the port, you can pay me to build the box :)

Those tuning frequencies will provide a flatter response curve than the lower ones you mentioned. If you get too far below the sub's resonant frequency when tuning, you'll create a peaky response just the same as if you tuned it too high above the fs.

augie
10-27-2003, 03:59 AM
alrite man chill...at least tell me this one last thing the bigger tha box the lower the frequency...right?

LoneRanger
10-27-2003, 04:04 AM
alrite man chill...at least tell me this one last thing the bigger tha box the lower the frequency...right?

larger boxes produce a better low-end response, however the tuning will be the final deciding factor as to how low it will play.

I wasn't jumping on you about giving you port specs. That's the most difficult part of building your own ported enclosure. If I tell you, not only am I robbing you of the experience of tuning your own box, but I'm also doing most of your work for you. I don't get paid to build these things for nothing :)

augie
10-27-2003, 04:15 AM
true true...im hella looking forward to buildin it too...i just want to know as much as possible before pickin up a tool ...ok so i have winisd...is it a good program? and also i keep seeing resonant engineering subs everywhere...how good are they really? where do you buy them? are jls sick or just overrated?

LoneRanger
10-27-2003, 04:26 AM
true true...im hella looking forward to buildin it too...i just want to know as much as possible before pickin up a tool ...ok so i have winisd...is it a good program? and also i keep seeing resonant engineering subs everywhere...how good are they really? where do you buy them? are jls sick or just overrated?

Win ISD is second only to LEAP.....and since LEAP costs over a grand and Win ISD is free, it's a very close second.

RE is a great brand. I have one of their subs in my daily driver. I also like JL....especially their older subs. I just picked up a 15" w1 yesterday that had never been used for $40. Talk about old school!

augie
10-27-2003, 02:35 PM
oh yeah? w1 huh...that is old school...alrite well thanks for the help...preciate it. ill post up pictures of my finished box later on...feel free to comment and stuff like that