PDA

View Full Version : Approx how many Rms would my front speakers be?

pearce
07-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Hi all.

Currently I have a head deck with 50 x 4 w maxx power. I wouldnt know how much the rms for it would be.

I also have 2 front speakers. 4 inches, 120 watts maximum. 2 way. 100-20khz. Sensitivity 88 db.
1" voice coil.
Yes I know they are small.

My question is, how much would each speakers rms be?
Keep in mind my head unit would only put out about 30 rms to each speaker at the maximum.

The reason I ask is because my head unit goes up to volume 35, but anything above 30 is distorted. So I guess thats because the speakers arent getting enough power.

Im not buying an amp or a sub , I will wait till I get my new car in october.
Any ideas for the current situation would be great. Thankyou.

ejschultz
07-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Well, your head unit is more than likely somewhere between 18-25 watts rms. The speakers will be fine playing off just a head unit, just don't push them to distortion. If you do, there's no telling what could possibly happen to the space-time continueum.

pearce
07-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Well, your head unit is more than likely somewhere between 18-25 watts rms. The speakers will be fine playing off just a head unit, just don't push them to distortion. If you do, there's no telling what could possibly happen to the space-time continueum.

Thanks mate.
I would probably end up getting a new head unit with my new car. My current one only has 1 amp pre-out. Could I still use an amp to power my 4 speakers with that head unit? But I wouldnt be able to add a sub/another amp.
So I guess it would be worth upgrading the head unit aswell, my current one is a kenwood kdc-mp243

ejschultz
07-19-2009, 12:28 PM
It has one 2 volt preout that is switchable from rear speakers to subwoofers. You could add a sub if you wanted to, but you wouldn't be able to run a 4 channel amp off the head unit as that requires front and rear preouts and this only offers rear. If you amp the rear speakers, or amp the fronts off the rear preouts, you will not be able to add a sub to the setup. If you're looking at putting a full system in a car when you get a new one, I'd recommend replacing this unit with something more high end that will give you all the preouts (3) that you need, some nice crossover features, and maybe some time alignment. If you want to stick with Kenwood, the higher end ones are pretty decent and offer all that stuff. My girlfriend has a KDC-X693 and that's a pretty good one. I don't see one like it on the Australian website, the KDC-X8009U is going to be the most similar as far as features go.

pearce
07-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks mate I will probably try get an alpine or pioneer, I hear they are the better ones

ejschultz
07-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I use both Alpine and Pioneer in my vehicles and I love them both.

th3disturbed1
07-19-2009, 07:05 PM
if the amplifier has a set of outs to pass the signal along, you could probably pass that to a sub amp. ive never done it so im not sure how it would work but i dont see why it wouldnt

ejschultz
07-19-2009, 07:09 PM
if the amplifier has a set of outs to pass the signal along, you could probably pass that to a sub amp. ive never done it so im not sure how it would work but i dont see why it wouldnt

To turn the rear preouts to sub preouts you have to turn on the low pass filter. I guess any decent mono amp, if not all mono amps would have a low pass filter built in. That would work. You could build a system by using 2 2 channel amps that have pass throughs on them and a mono amp that has a built in low pass filter. It would take 3 amps to get a fully amplified system, assuming you're running rear speakers.

pearce
07-20-2009, 12:13 AM
The cheapest way would be to start again wouldnt it?
New sub, new speakers, new amp/s, new head unit, new wire. EVerything new.

ejschultz
07-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Well, to effeciently get a system in the car, I would definitely recommend a new head unit. What's going to happen is you'll get the upgrade itch. It happens to us all. We get what we think we'll be happy with and in a few months, we're looking to upgrade and change stuff around. The longest I've kept a setup in my car was probably about 8 months and that was because I was away at school and wasn't driving it. I'd like to think I'm done with what I have now, but I'm already thinking of different things I can do. There's really no cheap way to go except for leaving it stock.

anonTHEdon
07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, to effeciently get a system in the car, I would definitely recommend a new head unit. What's going to happen is you'll get the upgrade itch. It happens to us all. We get what we think we'll be happy with and in a few months, we're looking to upgrade and change stuff around. The longest I've kept a setup in my car was probably about 8 months and that was because I was away at school and wasn't driving it. I'd like to think I'm done with what I have now, but I'm already thinking of different things I can do. There's really no cheap way to go except for leaving it stock.

TRUE! I'm trying to upgrade now lol