PDA

View Full Version : PSP aero calculator, and others:

silenkiller
07-18-2009, 10:39 PM
I have a question about using the port calculators - when I add a port, lets say, two ports, the port length seems to always go up. Is it then that the port length on there is talking about TOTAL length? So the length given is divided by number of ports?

Also, what the benefit of more than 1 port? Less chance for port noise?

Thank you guys for helpen :)

tommyk90
07-18-2009, 10:42 PM
The length given is the length of EACH port.

The more port area you have, the longer they be to get the desired tuning.

2 4" ports need to be longer than one 4" port to get the same tuning and so on.

Now which you need depends on a few factors. Enclosure size, how much power you are running, what size/quantity of subs, and so forth.

SPLluminator
07-18-2009, 10:45 PM
I have a question about using the port calculators - when I add a port, lets say, two ports, the port length seems to always go up. Is it then that the port length on there is talking about TOTAL length? So the length given is divided by number of ports?

Also, what the benefit of more than 1 port? Less chance for port noise?

Thank you guys for helpen :)

More than one port has more port area. More port area=louder to a point. Less port area=punchier bass.

silenkiller
07-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Ah alright. This gets tricky kinda fast. Cuz every exta port like nearly doubles the length. Oye. Alright thanks for shedding some light on that.

Should the end of the aero inside the enclosure be flared as well?

tommyk90
07-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Ah alright. This gets tricky kinda fast. Cuz every exta port like nearly doubles the length. Oye. Alright thanks for shedding some light on that.

Should the end of the aero inside the enclosure be flared as well?

Yes, flares on both ends.

rumblebee2
07-18-2009, 11:09 PM
why would you need more/less port for more power?

SPLluminator
07-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Typically you'll want some sort of brace holding the port inside as well.

SPLluminator
07-18-2009, 11:11 PM
why would you need more/less port for more power?

More port decreases the chance that the subs will bottom out or something like that, if someone would like to chime in.

RAM_Designs
07-18-2009, 11:24 PM
More port decreases the chance that the subs will bottom out or something like that, if someone would like to chime in.

More port=less air spring inside the box which = easier to bottom out.

perfecxionX
07-19-2009, 12:07 AM
isnt port area pretty much solely dependent on the amount of air being moved? so more power would = more excursion = more desired port area

silenkiller
07-19-2009, 12:16 AM
im starting to question if its even worth doing this. ffs its going to be such a pain.