PDA

View Full Version : Enclosure help on a pioneer premier TSW5102SPL TS-W5102SPL

paulbur02
07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
My buddy just purchased a Pioneer TSW5102SPL subwoofer and i am trying to get some advice on either building a new box or keeping the one we have. we'll be running this sub in a ford F150 (no back seat) with a FULLY upgraded electrical system (alternator, battery, big 3 cable modification). He and his uncle (who is a master carpenter) built a sealed, 1.5 cubic foot box for this sub (used proper thickness MDF all the way around as recommded) with proper bracing and a large 2'' baffle but, after asking some people who are local box builders about this setup, they all said that PORTED is the way to go for this sub, and that using a sealed box for this particular subwoofer is not a brilliant idea. I have installed several sound systems before in the past but this is definately the biggest one i have done yet. my questions are

1. will a 1.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure damage this speaker, and, if not is it recommended to use poly fill with this setup or not?

2. If sealed is not recommended, can anyone help me with the dimensions on a ported enclosure setup?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

would be willing to throw down some money for more information (am paypal verified)...

Pioneer~Saturn
07-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Wont damage it, but I'd say go ported

paulbur02
07-15-2009, 05:11 PM
This is a huge sub, and, being that i have no experience with box building, in terms of box volume, do you have to take into account the space which the subwoofer takes up while inside the box (since this takes up volume as well) or is volume based on the volume of the box WITHOUT the subwoofer in it? thanks again for your response.

paulbur02
07-15-2009, 05:49 PM
here is a link to the subwoofer specs too

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/307126561TRD1272-A(W5102SPL).pdf

spl_robb
07-16-2009, 07:12 AM
i would say 3.5cuft tuned to 35hz 56sq in of port.
need max dimensions and amp power.