PDA

View Full Version : building a box for d6 12 diamond audios

toledokid
07-15-2009, 01:30 PM
me and some friends are building a box for 2 12 d6 Diamond Audio DVC 2ohm subwoofers, the Diamond website only gives specs for a vented box, and I think that would be a little too much to do, plus I'm looking for the tightest/punchiest while still being low.

the height I'm able to work with is roughly 15.5-16 inches overall, length is 24 and width was 36? If you guys want I'll get you the exact specifications of how much space I have to work with.

Any advice on what enclosures would be best for me? right now I got the 1 12" in a small box (was built for a kenwood DVC 12") but it's not hitting lows that well, nor does it really put out much sound.

Thanks!!

ChedNompton
07-15-2009, 01:45 PM
My d6s sounded pretty good in a 3.5-4cubes tuned to 33 (I forget the exact cubic feet). I'd say start there. What vehicle is this going in?
Larson

toledokid
07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
My d6s sounded pretty good in a 3.5-4cubes tuned to 33 (I forget the exact cubic feet). I'd say start there. What vehicle is this going in?
Larsona 97 pontiac grand prix (GTP)

where could i find specs for a 3.5-4 cube box tuned to 33?

ChedNompton
07-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Something like this calculator should work descent enough.

http://reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

How much power do you have on hand?
Larson

whitedragon551
07-15-2009, 02:16 PM
a 97 pontiac grand prix (GTP)

where could i find specs for a 3.5-4 cube box tuned to 33?

I got a 4 cube ported box at 33Hz in my GP. I can grab some measurements for you in a bit.

toledokid
07-15-2009, 02:54 PM
i gotta buy a new amp, but im getting kicker zX1000.1, so about 1000 (underrated or so I've heard) at 2 ohms (currently have kenwood 1000watt @1ohm which isn't very stable at 1ohm, although they claim it is.)

Ok, cool.

ChedNompton
07-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Something like this might work.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/Nosral38/DDesign.jpg
I'll get cut sheet in a sec...

toledokid
07-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah, but I don't trust myself with anything but a enclosed box, since I've been known to abuse my woofers unknowingly.

I'm still relatively new to car audio, although I've been playing bass guitar over 4 years ;D

ChedNompton
07-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but I don't trust myself with anything but a enclosed box, since I've been known to abuse my woofers unknowingly.

I'm still relatively new to car audio, although I've been playing bass guitar over 4 years ;D

These subs can take some abuse, I really suggest porting them, as you'll gain output over a sealed alignment.
When I had my pair, I through 2k at them, they took it very well, so I don't think your gonna have much issues with the power your running.
Larson

toledokid
07-15-2009, 10:40 PM
These subs can take some abuse, I really suggest porting them, as you'll gain output over a sealed alignment.
When I had my pair, I through 2k at them, they took it very well, so I don't think your gonna have much issues with the power your running.
LarsonGood to know, but I somehow toasted a kenwood 12" dvc 2ohm woofer the first day I had my license (I have a feeling my dad had it hooked up wrong or some ****.) but yeah... I was listening to Kottonmouth Kings a little too loud...

now that I think about it, his gains were probably all ****ed up and that's what did it.

I just remember blowing a fuse on the amp and then after replacing it the amp would go into protect mode randomly till the subwoofer just stopped working.

killa101
07-16-2009, 04:55 AM
Stay away from Diamond's vented design if you want sound quality or deep bass. It is tuned to 40Hz which is way to high for the D6s. I would suggest tuning as low as you can with the space available (low 30s to even mid to high 20s would be ideal).

I have a single 12" D6 in a folded transmission line enclosure. It has some amazing low-end and great sound quality. Not an output monster but is great for what I was looking for.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/uploads/dsc007321.jpg

toledokid
07-17-2009, 04:49 PM
will I be losing any sound quality? cause I bought these more-so for quality tone reproduction rather than just loudness, although a good balance works great.