PDA

View Full Version : Alpine SPR 17S true or false - review?

TheeyaN
07-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Alpine SPR 17S mids and PDX 2.150 amp HU Pioneer p88rs 5V pre outs

I installed it today,turned the gain on NOMINAL,everything on flat and started incresing the volume..

Its good until i'll say 50-51,and then it loses the sound quality,not too much,but it sounds kind of worse.. No major distorsion,just a slight or maybe i am imagining it i dont know.. It was listenable..

The thing is.. It wasnt loud (only the mids were installed no woofer)

This is my first instalation when i am powering speakers with an amp.. Until now it was only from the HU with HPF 120 and it was ok,i also used dampening,did everything in a pro matter..

Having in mind that the HU's amp has no more than 20rms,and the speakers are- well crap,and having in mind that this amp gives out 150 rms,an amp that Alpine is proud off i was expecting something that would make my face look like this :eek:

Insted of that my face was like this :confused: i mean is that all? I was not impressed,no no..

So i am using this to ask u.. What should i be expecting from this combo of mids and amp? Was i just expecting to much or what? Maybe its becouse there was no sub in (sub amp has a problem with one chanel) but i did expect more..

Also until it gets pretty close to distorsion its so so quiet.. it ***** basicly.. Blah.. Not cool :crap:

michaellane
07-14-2009, 01:42 PM
well i can say that my alpine type s speakers use to get pretty darn loud when amped. maybe your settings are worong? i loved mine. just play around with all the settings on the amp and radio till you get what you like.

Xprime4
07-14-2009, 01:42 PM
power is overrated imo. Still you should see at least a 9 +/- db gain from driving the SAME exact set with your amp compared to the hu.

Stock speakers are extremly efficient.... aftermarket aren't most of the time

Maybe you expected too much

Xprime4
07-14-2009, 01:44 PM
well i can say that my alpine type s speakers use to get pretty darn loud when amped. maybe your settings are worong? i loved mine. just play around with all the settings on the amp and radio till you get what you like.

type s coax were as loud on 40watt as my type r coax on 100watt.

efficient is a lot more important when it comes to speakers in doors

have you sealed the back/front wave in the door?

TheeyaN
07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
+9 DB.. Thats about 3 times louder..

I dont think i did anything wrong with the install.. First i dampened the door,and i did a really good job at that,after that installed the crossover,set the tweets to -3db,pluged in the speaker wires that would go to the amp,than connected the other wires to speakers and tweets and closed it up..

Checked and rechecked everything.. But still hm.. Was reading some rewievs on net,people saying they made this components blead their ears,using a 100rms-ish amps,and some people used it on the HU and were impressed,but i am nowhere near impressed..

FAIL :/

TheeyaN
07-14-2009, 01:54 PM
R types have efficiency of 87,S types have 92 but still..

150 rms,i mean if i take it a bit in the semi distorted zone it does get louder but i am not sure if they are clipping or not.. Dont have a O Scope..

TheeyaN
07-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Also i must say that i didnt play this speakers on the HU,only the stock speakers..

So they are brand new.. At least they were ^^

jerseyboy
07-14-2009, 02:32 PM
i had a pair of type r comps in my previous car being powered by a clarion amp that only gave them 75rms watts and they sounded good. lacked a little mid bass but got loud without distorting

Sarthos
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Set your gains with a DMM.

I liked my type R components when I first put them in with 95 RMS each, so I'd just check you're actually putting out the right wattage to them and don't have your gains too low.

TheeyaN
07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
At first i did set it by DMM,but it was even lower,i dont like those numbers,its maybe ok for sub's cause u cant really hear them,but for the mids i think the best way to go is setting them by ears.

Anyways tomorrow come i will do some more test. First i am gonna play that music on my brothers car with stock speakers,and without the sub,to make a paralel.

Another problem might be that the music i played was sh!tty! Recorded at low levels,so maybe it will be louder on some other music (cd's)

But i also need to find how does a clear test tone of 1000 hz sound,and how does a clipped tone sound so i can be 100% sure.

TheeyaN
07-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Verdict has been brought!

This speakers are pure crap. Loudness is medium and bellow,SQ is medium and bellow..

And i am powering them with an 150rms amp..

FAIL!

th3disturbed1
07-15-2009, 01:45 PM
my guess would be your gain is set wrong. you have a 5V preout and u set the amp to nominal. thats almost guaranteed to be clipping

TheeyaN
07-15-2009, 01:52 PM
its less than nominal,and its set to clip on 52/62 so thats not the problem. The problem is that i expected more

AllenH427
07-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Just pretend your max listening volume is around 30... then set the gains from there.

TheeyaN
07-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Whats that got to do with anything? ^^

Its gonna sound the same,only diffrence is that the gain knob will be pushed more to the right on the amp.. ^^

Frankensuby
07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
^^^^^ But then the Hu clipping from internal analyzation won't be a factor, at all.

Bear in mind several things:
1.) I'm assuming your doors are NOT sealed and NOT deadened, so midbass is considerably altered by this. Store listening is fine, but those are sealed MDF boxes they are in, not open air applications like most automotive setups are.
2.) I hope you are not sending them 150RMS at your desired max volume, because you will annihilate them at this rate. They are rated what, 75 RMS?
3.) The Type-S speakers are great and efficient, and IMO best used for lightly amped or stock replacement with an aftermarket HU setup. They are not a high end speaker, so expect them to lose their advantages when you reach their rated RMS power. Same thing happened when I amped my Fiance's Pioneer TS-A's to 35 RMS, once you get close to the top, they start suffering from limitations.
4.) If you use paper specs, bear in mind that the more power you send to a speaker, the less efficiently it plays the lows from excursion limitations. basically, the speaker can play 30 Hz at 10 RMS, but at 30 RMS it struggles to perform the same task, even within it's rated RMS range.

:)

EDIT: I see you have the newer version of my Type-R's. I am running 85 RMS to my Type-R's and they get stupid loud on no deadening or sealing. Your speakers are rated at the same response as mine, but higher RMS (110). I can tell you that when my speakers reach higher volumes, they suffer midbass loss, but the tweeters are super bright and clear, almost harsh even with -3db setting. I have mine crossovered at 80Hz with problems distorting only at the top volumes on complex songs, and then all I do is set it to 100Hz since my Xenon sub is crossovered at 100Hz as well, so no loss of balance.

TheeyaN
07-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Door are deadend,from the inside and outside.

Speakers are rated at 110 rms,and yes i am giving them the full 150.

My problem isnt the bass,it does have bass,but the music is just not dynamic,it doesnt have details,no sound quality..

As far as i heard until those older R types are far more better than this.. They have aluminiup ''thingy'' on the midbass-es,and this newer ones have the same material as the cone..

I dont want my components to give out that much bass,i set the hpf at 80-100,the sub will do that,i want my midbasses to produce MUSIC,and not some muddy tones..

A friend of mine is sending me Phase Linear Audiophile midbass-es,to check out how they sound. He says they are the best hes ever heard,so i am gonna give it a go,why not..

As for the R type tweets-they are kind of harsh,but that is just how i like them,i think they are the stronger link,but i am still not that much sure having in mind that the mids arent giving me the ''MUSIC STORY'' i wanted.. Neither the loudness,i bassicly have to crank it on the verge of clipping and it still doesnt get near as loud as i thought having in minds that its eating up 150 rms (and that the amp has almost no power lossege,when i measured it with the music off it was 14.23V,and when i cranked it up to the max it was 14,21V)

tv559
07-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Im gonna runs 2 sets of the older type R 6.5's to a JL 300/4. Hopefully they sound good;)

Engine_hp
07-22-2009, 09:51 PM
the type rs are the best component speakers i heard till now, set ur gains rite and ull be fine and yes the highs are very SHARP.

EDIT: ur talking about the type s, sorry bro miss read

TheeyaN
07-23-2009, 03:06 AM
spR .. R TYPES! Also i forgot to make an update.

Been playing them for a while,and they sound much better now,also turned the tweetero to 0db (before it was -3db) and it sound much much better.

And finnaly,yesterday i tried my MB Quart RAA 2400 amp,that is rated 2x200 rms @4ohma on them. And they were taking the power realy fine,and they sounded awesome.

I just dont know what will 200 rms do to their ''life long'' or whats it called..

As i said they are handling that power really really NICE,so mechanical noises,and everything sound more clear,better,louder..

guacho80
07-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Type R comps do that. I have the 5 1/4 version, without any deadening done in the doors, in very crappy MDF rings. At first, they sounded awful. Then I upgraded to a rockford p400-4 bridged, 200rms to each speaker and they began to shine. They get loud, response is quick and detailed.

Hope that you like them better with more wattage, and yes they will take it.

TheeyaN
07-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks man! I will power them with the MB :) Much better sound!

LudeSER13
07-28-2009, 01:12 PM
thanks for the review. i'm thinking of getting these comps or the pioneeer ts-d720c.

TheeyaN
07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
By my opinion nothing less than 200 rms per side for this comps is not enough!

With 200 rms everything sounds much better,even the midrange.