PDA

View Full Version : Pros/Cons

stacks42
10-20-2003, 06:50 PM
im going to be putting my ed12a into the center console of my 97 dodge ram. i was just wondering what the pros and cons were of building a box larger than the recommended size and also of making a box smaller than the recommended size. thanks in advance for your help.

Redford
10-20-2003, 08:56 PM
I'm assuming you mean sealed? If the box is too small, it will be too springy so you'll need more power to get equal sound volume... Bigger boxes are just less restrictive so the bass won't be as punchy but it will be able to get louder and therefore won't need as much power as a smaller box to get the same volume.

There isn't really a disadvantage of big boxes except of course for the ammount of space they take up.

holycrap
10-20-2003, 11:32 PM
if its sealed, and you make a box larger than the recommended size, your bass might get a little muddy

jbl_marshall21
10-21-2003, 10:43 PM
if its sealed, and you make a box larger than the recommended size, your bass might get a little muddy

well to an extent. i mean if the recommended volume is 1.5, it wouldn't hurt to go 2.5 or even 3. depends mostly on the sub, and if its ported or sealed. since its an EDA the recommended i think is around 1 cubic foot. anything from there to about 4 would be acceptable.